Water

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      While Don and I stood on a San Francisco street corner waiting for David Binkowski to meet us for breakfast last Sunday, I thumbed through a restaurant copy of the S.F. Chronicle.  I saw a small article about water purification.  It said that they (don't remember who the "they" were) have found that putting water in a clear plastic jug and exposing it to 6 hours of sunlight will kill bacteria.

      Gee, that sounds tremendously significant!  As they said, it could save countless children who are especially susceptible to water borne pathogens.  It's so easy!  And it could even save trees in areas where people have been encouraged to boil water.  Liz, do you at CDC know anything about this?  Is it proven?  Sounded as if it were a scientifically proven fact.

      Cathy
    • Stacia Nordin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2003
        Hi Ujeniers - I changed my subscription so that so many e-mails
        aren't overwhelming my inbox, but I'm still here from time to time!

        This water purification method is known as SODIS Solar Disinfection
        I think? Yes, they have done research on the method, and there are
        organizations that have developed other types of clear plastic solar
        disinfection systems (they look similar to solar showers).

        A search on SODIS should get you more information, all I have is
        print material.

        Contact me at ccc@... if you have trouble getting more
        info.

        Stacia Nordin, RD