news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Oct 22, 2003
      Bridging Govt And Civil Society Divide

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      October 21, 2003
      Posted to the web October 21, 2003

      Johannesburg

      Moves are underway to enhance interaction between Malawi's parliament
      and civil society to increase the flow of information to the
      electorate.

      The Blantyre-based Institute for Policy Interaction (IPI) embarked on a
      series of regional workshops with MPs, NGOs and the media, culminating
      in a national workshop held from 15 to 17 October.

      "The purpose of the national workshop was to deliberate on the feedback
      emanating from the regional workshops, and translate it into a feasible
      action plan that would be implemented by elected teams, with fixed
      deadlines to achieve their objectives, which were all aimed towards
      enhancing links and accessibility between parliament and civil society,"
      the IPI said in a statement.

      Teams are now being formed to translate "into concrete action" the
      concept of building bridges between government, civil society and the
      electorate.

      Areas to be immediately addressed include capacity building for MPs, to
      enable them to understand subjects that are highly technical, thus
      enhancing their ability to contribute more constructively in
      parliamentary debates. Civil society's comprehension of parliamentary
      procedures was also identified as an area that needed improvement.

      The teams would also work on improving "channels of communication, for
      better flow of information from parliament to the electorate, i.e.,
      better distribution of Hansard [parliamentary records] and fact sheets
      at grassroots levels".

      A permanent civil society office is to be established in the parliament
      buildings in Lilongwe. "The office would be manned by a parliament
      liaison or publicity officer," the IPI added.

      Crucial to the success of the initiative was revitalising the formal
      relationship with the media, through the media committee in parliament,
      so that they would be encouraged to participate in the committee.

      The introduction of legislation in areas of specific interest through
      private member's bills also needed to be encouraged, the national
      workshop found.

      Malawians will go to the polls in May next year to choose a new
      president and parliament.

      *****

      IMF admits it is failing Africa

      By Martin Plaut
      BBC Africa analyst

      Countries cannot raise enough revenue for spending
      The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has admitted that one of its key
      African initiatives is in trouble.
      In a working paper published in Washington, two of the IMF's
      researchers show that its programme to relieve some of Africa's poorest
      countries of their debt burden may not produce a sustainable economic
      situation.

      The IMF's initiative for Heavily Indebted Poor Countries was launched
      in 1996.

      Its aim was simple: to cut the mountain of debts that countries had run
      up, reducing them to more manageable levels.

      At the same time, the programme encouraged states to increase their
      spending on the poor - on badly needed policies aimed at building
      schools and paying teachers.

      Spending shortfalls

      This study looks at the performance of 12 African countries - all of
      which were heavily indebted before the programme got under way.

      These include Mozambique, Tanzania, Ghana and Cameroon - countries
      chosen to represent a variety of economic conditions.

      IMF and World Bank

      The problem highlighted by the study is that half the countries sampled
      are estimated to be unable to raise enough revenue to pay for the
      spending programmes the IMF is calling for.

      "As countries made progress in macroeconomic stabilisation they are now
      'allowed' to increase their expenditure to address poverty reduction
      needs," says the report by Annalisa Fedelino and Alina Kudina.

      It gives Tanzania as an example. The country is projected to increase
      its expenditure level by more than 4% of GDP, to above 22% of Gross
      Domestic Product (GDP), in 2002/3 relative to the previous fiscal year.

      "However, based on our framework, this may result in the country's
      swinging back into unsustainable debt levels," the report continues.

      "Unless HIPCs improve their primary fiscal positions or grant financing
      is sustained at current, or possibly higher, levels, debt sustainability
      in HIPCs may prove elusive in the long term," it says.

      The authors warn that the countries concerned are likely to move back
      into unsustainable levels of debt.

      Only raising taxes or getting more foreign aid will allow Africa's
      poorest nations to escape this fate.

      *****

      Retrenched Farm Workers Sink to Destitution

      Zimbabwe Standard (Harare)

      October 20, 2003
      Posted to the web October 20, 2003

      Lee Berthiaume

      SEVEN kilometres south of Kadoma town, a small farmhouse stands
      surrounded by a fence topped with razor wire. Signs on the fence warn
      against trespassing. The fields around the house have not been ploughed
      in over a year and there is no sign of any preparations for the coming
      agricultural season.

      Some distance south of the farmhouse, few cement buildings are
      clustered around several thatched huts. Children in torn and dirty
      clothes play in the red dust, oblivious of the insects and parasites
      that have infected their scalps and faces. Many of the children have
      distended stomachs, symptons of their malnutrition.

      A group of women watches the children from the door of a cement hut
      that was built years ago to house them. A large '12' is painted on the
      door to identify it from the other worn down buildings.

      An old man sits in a chair a few buildings away, lost in his own world.
      He offers a toothless smile and shakes hands before returning to
      wherever it is he goes. A young man sits near him, his face in his
      hands. There are 20 families living here, consisting of just over 100
      people, including 50 children.

      As one aid worker explains, these are the silent voices of Zimbabwe;
      while the farm owners fled with what little they could carry as war
      veterans and "Green Bombers" seized their properties, the farm workers
      were forced to stay behind and watch it all fall apart.

      The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) released a report in July in which
      it estimated as many as 240 000 farm workers had lost their jobs, 100
      000 people had been forced from their homes and more than one million
      people - including the workers' families - had been directly affected by
      the land reform process.

      This particular farm was one of the 2 900 designated on August 10 last
      year. According to Senzeni Sibanda, before the resettlement, life was
      good for the farm workers.

      "We were living quite peacefully," she explains. "We were happy, we had
      everything."

      Children were attending school, the people were well fed and were even
      making money to spend on themselves. As Sibanda talks, the children
      gather around and rip a loaf of bread apart, eating it ravenously. The
      women stand and watch; they probably won't eat today.

      The farm workers only learned of the resettlement when the former farm
      owner called them to the farmhouse and asked them to pack his
      belongings. That was the last they saw of him but they didn't have to
      wait long for the new settler.

      "Just soon after the farm was taken over we were told we were
      unemployed," Sibanda says.

      With their only source of income lost, the people were forced to fend
      for themselves.

      With the help of the Zimbabwe Community Development Trust (ZCDT), the
      community has managed to start a small garden where they grow various
      vegetables to sell at the market down the road. But even that hasn't
      been enough.

      "We cannot get anything," Sibanda says. "We can't even pay school fees,
      medication, or anything. We are like people in a coma; we can't see our
      future."

      According to a report from the Farm Community Trust of Zimbabwe (FCTZ),
      only about 100 000 commercial farm workers were still employed at the
      end of last year on the 20 per cent of farms that were still
      operational. The rest have had to fend for themselves. To make ends
      meet, some have turned to doing odd jobs at nearby farms, panning for
      gold under railway tracks and prostitution.

      In Sibanda's community, 12 people have died from disease - the
      prevalence of HIV/AIDS is presumed to be high - malnutrition and
      dehydration over the past seven months and that number is expected to
      rise as the situation continues to deteriorate.

      "We just need food and medication," says Sharai Bava, whose husband was
      a farm worker. She indicates the head of one of her daughters, which is
      covered in scabs and flies.

      Bava says there have been rumours the new settler will chase the former
      farm workers off his farm.

      "We are just like animals; we are rejected, we can't eat good food, we
      can't have anything."

      North of the farmhouse is another group of huts and cement buildings.
      Where the southern compound was brown and white from the buildings, red
      from the dust and green from the vegetable garden, the northern compound
      is just brown and red.

      Last year the compound's electric water pump broke down and the former
      farm owner took it to get a replacement but didn't have a chance to
      replace it before being evicted.

      Now the people in the northern compound are forced to walk across the
      nearby highway to fetch water.

      There is no garden to make money, no water to bathe or wash. There are
      only a few scrawny chickens and many mouths to feed.

      "We only survive because you are giving us something," 81-year-old
      Stone Banda says to one ZCDT aid worker.

      The organisation delivers care packages of food and soap to the
      compound every month. Banda, who moved to the farm to work in 1978, says
      the lack of water is killing the community.

      "We have no future unless we get water. We are like refugees because we
      don't have anything," Banda says.

      While life has been hard for these ex-farm workers, they have not been
      spared from the political violence. At the height of the land reforms,
      war veterans and the youth militia accused many farm workers of
      supporting the white farm owners and the opposition Movement for
      Democratic Change (MDC).

      The United Nations estimated at the end of last year that more than 100
      000 former farm workers had been chased from their homes.

      In addition, dozens of ex-farm workers have been killed and thousands
      others forced to move due to the violence.

      Ex-farm workers have been the centre of the many humanitarian efforts
      in the country as dozens of non-government organisations have scrambled
      to provide emergency food aid while others have offered training in
      alternative ways to generate income.

      But thousands of former farm workers are in places that NGOs are banned
      or find difficult to reach so they must try to survive on their own.

      "There are quite a number of challenges," says Didimas Munhenzva,
      acting director of ZCDT, citing fuel and resource shortages as well as
      ongoing political violence as some of the reasons the NGO hasn't been
      able to do more.

      "People are just waiting for tomorrow and are trying to make it through
      today," says Munhenzva.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22 8:06 AM

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****