news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Oct 17, 2003
      Sabre Rattling Ahead of Election

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      October 16, 2003
      Posted to the web October 16, 2003

      Johannesburg

      The stage is set for a hotly contested presidential election next year,
      and Malawi's senior clerics have signalled their intention to closely
      monitor the conduct of the presidential and legislative polls in May
      2004.

      The African Church Information Service (ACIS) quoted Monsignor Boniface
      Tamani of the Roman Catholic Church as saying "we will have to carry out
      investigations to establish if there are ... questionable elements in
      the [Electoral] Commission, for the sake of free and fair elections next
      year".

      Two NGOs, one of which is headed by Tamani, reported that they would
      investigate members of the Electoral Commission "for partisan conduct
      frustrating expectations for free presidential, parliamentary and local
      government elections", ACIS reported.

      Rafiq Hajat, of the Blantyre-based Institute for Policy Interaction
      (IPI), told IRIN on Thursday there was "a lot of sabre rattling going
      on", which was "basically meant to ensure that next year's elections are
      free and fair".

      He added that, following the controversy around the aborted attempt to
      secure a third term for President Bakili Muluzi, "everybody is looking
      forward to these elections".

      "It's occupying the spotlight on the national stage and is very much in
      the nation's consciousness, as it is a crucial one," Hajat said.

      A key issue in the upcoming elections will be the humanitarian crisis,
      from which Malawi has largely recovered, although there are remaining
      pockets of need in rural parts of the country.

      At the height of the crisis millions of Malawians were dependent on
      food aid to stave off hunger.

      "People are saying that the crisis would not have occurred if there had
      been good management in the first place," Hajat noted. The government
      was heavily criticised for selling off the country's strategic grain
      reserves at a time of food shortages.

      The state of the economy was also expected to be a central theme in
      campaigning. "Our local currency, the Kwacha, has depreciated so badly
      in recent days - [to the point] where you pay US $1 for about K110. The
      currency has depreciated by 20 percent in the last quarter, and this has
      had a knock-on effect on the price of all basic commodities, including
      the price of fuel," Hajat added.

      The fuel price "went up again just yesterday [Wednesday], and all of
      these increases lead to extreme hardship in the rural areas, where
      people live hand to mouth".

      "When fuel goes up by 10 bucks, you and I will complain but still fill
      up and have a gin and tonic in the evening. But for the rural poor, it's
      the difference between life and death," Hajat explained. At least 70
      percent of Malawians live in rural areas.

      "This state of affairs - the hardship of life - is going to be a major
      talking point during the election," he added.

      In April, Muluzi announced that the ruling United Democratic Front
      (UDF) had selected Bingu wa Mutharika as his successor, effectively
      ending attempts to allow Muluzi a third five-year term of office.

      A president is allowed two consecutive terms by the Malawi
      constitution. The bid to have Muluzi serve a third term, and the
      proposed constitutional amendment to allow it, heightened political
      tensions in Malawi. The move was opposed by human rights groups, the
      diplomatic community, the clergy and opposition parties.

      The five main opposition parties have formed an alliance to contest the
      election, but they have yet to put forward their presidential
      candidate.

      "They're searching around for a very credible, neutral person," Hajat
      said.

      *****

      SA companies pull out of Zambia

      Zarina Geloo | Lusaka

      16 October 2003 14:20

      More than 2 000 Zambian workers have been left in the lurch as the
      South African franchise shop Supreme Furnishers was liquidated by a
      Lusaka High Court this week.

      The court order scuttles the government's opposition for Supreme
      Furnishers, with its subsidiary companies Barnetts and Hifi Electrical,
      to cease operations in Zambia. Lawyer for the workers Mark Haimbe has
      asked the court to make an order for all employees to be paid their
      terminal benefits in full.

      The courts have now blocked the company from moving or transferring any
      assets or cash to South Africa, in an attempt to force it to pay workers
      their terminal benefits.

      Durite Chella, a shop attendant, believes workers are being treated
      this way because the majority of them are unskilled.

      "Would they have treated us this way if we had [college or university]
      degrees? It is because the majority of us are attendants and do not have
      formal qualifications, that's why they throw us in the streets," she
      says.

      Supreme Furnishers and its subsidiaries have more than 10 outlets in
      Zambia.

      Labour Minister Patrick Kafumukache expressed shock at the investor's
      decision to pull out of Zambia at such short notice and without paying
      workers their full benefits. His Deputy Minister, Chile Ng'uni,
      described the liquidation as "fallacious" and "contemptuous".

      Ng'uni said workers had exhibited the most decent behaviour for the
      seven months the company was in limbo, sacrificing in the face of doom,
      banking the company's takings, kept property and used the due process of
      law to resolve the matter, only to receive a kick in the face.

      "Workers should not despair because government is not going to allow
      Zambians to be abused."

      Assuring words, but they have only earned the ire of workers.

      "How can the ministers now say they are shocked when it is them that
      award these licenses to these opportunists -- with no exit clause,
      nothing to protect workers?" asked Leah Numutenga, one of the workers.

      She said workers had been faithfully working for the company since its
      inception and to be treated in this manner with no protection from the
      government was similar to living in the pre-independence days when
      natives were abused.

      "This thing about Supreme Furnishers closing is not new. It was on the
      cards as soon as we knew their five-year grace period for paying tax was
      over. And we were diligently telling government to beware.

      "Now that it has happened, the government has taken no action apart
      from saying they should give us our terminal benefits. What happens when
      those benefits finish? Where do we get jobs? We have to feed our
      families," said Joseph Phiri, another worker.

      Supreme Furnishers is the third South African franchise to close down
      after the expiry of its tax grace period. Smart Centre, a clothing
      company, turned into another company, Duns, and then closed last year.

      Food chains Quick Save and Pie City also closed down two years ago. All
      eyes are on Shoprite, a huge department store, whose management changed
      hands, but after huge protests, the new administration was forced to
      keep on all the workers.

      Ng'uni said the closure of South African businesses in Zambia was a
      consequence of post-privatisation challenges that needed urgent
      solutions. He said the decision to privatise and open Zambia's markets
      were a good idea but "perhaps we were too gullible, desperate or maybe
      somebody was profiteering from the exercise, but its handling has been a
      shambles".

      Barnetts manager Andrew Chella said the government should not start
      looking for excuses because it had been folding its arms while Supreme
      Furnishers began closing its shops countrywide last month.

      "This company has been running without a board of directors. We have
      done everything by the law but they have issued instructions from South
      Africa and we are now thrown on the streets. This is arrogance," he
      said.

      So incensed have the workers been that they marched to former Zambian
      president Kenneth Kaunda's house and presented him with a petition in
      the hope that he could intervene on their behalf as a world-famous
      statesman. The workers begged Kaunda to lobby support on their behalf
      with the international community.

      Kaunda said it was criminal for the investor to abandon its workers in
      that manner. He advised the workers to approach the Zambian government
      through the minister of labour and foreign affairs because the matter
      needed the intervention of the South African government.

      He also advised President Levi Mwanawasa to speak with his South
      African counterpart, President Thabo Mbeki, over the issue.

      South African high commissioner to Zambia Reddy Mampane said his office
      had formed a business association to monitor the activities of South
      African-based investors in Zambia, because he too was not happy that
      investors fled when their tax rebate period expired.

      Supreme Furnishers lawyers Corpus Globe argue that the firm was heavily
      indebted and refused to comment further.

      When the Zambian government began privatising and opening up the
      country for investment in 1993, it offered, as an incentive, a tax-free
      grace period of five years.

      Franchises such as Shoprite, Game, Woolworths and Peps and other food
      chains flooded the country. After the initial grace period was over,
      some of the companies either closed down completely or were sold to
      other investors who were due for another five-year grace period.

      Opposition parties have always warned that there was not enough in the
      investment act to guarantee workers' rights or an exit clause that would
      safeguard the interests of the country.

      Commerce Minister Dipak Patel says the government needs to rethink its
      investment policy and make it more Zambia-friendly.

      "Our hands are tied because we appeared to have set ourselves up for a
      fall. We have to scrutinise this policy again," said Patel. -- IPS

      *****

      Used pants ban in Tanzania

      The Tanzanian government has banned the importing of second-hand
      underwear.
      An official from the Tanzanian Bureau of Standards (TSB) said they were
      acting because of the possibility of users developing skin diseases.

      "Standards are demand driven......there is a demand and that's why we
      should come up with standards for these garments," the director of the
      TSB, Daimon Mwakyembe told the BBC.

      But market traders have expressed their unhappiness at the decision,
      saying there is no proof that imported clothes posed any risk.

      One Tanzanian trader in Dar es Salaam told the BBC that although
      imported pants, bras and socks are often in a bad state when traders
      receive them, they advise their customers to observe certain rules
      before wearing the garments.

      "The underwear would usually be in a poor state....the exporters tell
      us that the garments have been disinfected but we normally advise our
      customers to wash them in hot water before wearing them," said Ibrahim
      Jumanne.

      Class dependent

      Another trader said that the TBS would do better investigating
      sub-standard food imports.

      "Tell TBS this is not food. They should concentrate on checking upon
      foodstuff imports many of which are expired or sub-standard or unfit for
      human consumption," said stall holder Saidi Abdallah Umbe.

      Many Tanzanians wear second hand clothes because they are relatively
      cheap.

      One seller of second hand clothes - known as mitumba - said he believed
      the decision was due to pressure from struggling textile manufacturers,
      while another said the choice to wear new or used underwear depended on
      one's social status.

      "It is not right to ban these garments because we all belong to
      different social classes... Used underwear is all that the poor people
      can afford," said the trader who wished to remain anonymous.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****