RE: Jane Magazine article

  • Eric Bone
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2003
      This article has been gnawing at me all day. The facts seem ok, and the
      opinions are often ones that I have held. But the it raises a question:
      what is the distinction between acceptable hardships and
      unnacceptable risks? These seem completed conflated in the article.

      The reasoning process in the article is foreign to me. One sentence says:
      PC says volunteer safety is the "number one priority." Immediately
      afterward is the story of a PCV being attacked. Is this supposed to be
      a contradiction? Does an attack on one PCV mean that volunteer safety is
      not the "number one priority"? What about 2 attacks? How do you measure
      whether volunteer safety is being adequately addressed?

      I read the article through again and jotted down some questions that came
      to mind as I read through it. In most cases, I believe the article gives
      a list of negative examples without giving much thought to these
      questions.

      1. Does PC give adequate information about safety, crime, and health
      issues during the recruitment process? Before people leave the US?
      During in-country training?

      2. What does PC do to ensure that volunteers are placed in situations that
      are not too insecure? How do they decided what "too insecure" is? How
      often do they slip and put people where they should not go?

      3. To what extent do PCVs understand and accept the risks inherent in the
      low level of emergency medical services available at many sites?

      4. How successful is PC in responding to complaints about harassment or
      security problems? How often does it fail to address these concerns
      adequately?

      5. What kinds of risks increase for people when they become PCVS? Fatal
      illnesses? Accidental Deaths? Assaults? Depression? How informed and
      aware are PCVs of their increased risks? What level of risk is acceptable
      for a PC program?

      6. Does PC adequately address health and safety issues with host
      communities? How much could PC be expected to do?

      7. What should a proper anti-malarial policy be? Merely saying what we
      all know, that mefloquine has risks, does not really get anywhere on that
      issue.

      8. How do we measure the effectiveness of PC as a "development"
      organization? Does the development component get too much emphasis
      relative to the "building cultural bridges" component? How do you measure
      the value of all the PC missions and the level of success?

      9. What is the role of PC in US foreign policy? Is it changing? Should
      it? Will it get the funding it need to support the health and safety of
      PCVs as it expands?

      10. How many volunteers do not offer a whole lot "except your youthful
      enthusiasm and Americanism"? Do most offer more than that? In the cases
      where that is "all," is it enough?

      I think the anecdotes in this article could have been very useful in a
      piece that explored these questions more carefully. As it is, I think
      they were just out to scare people, which probably helps to sell
      advertising.

      -Eric
    • Luz Huntington
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
        I cant put my disappointment into words as well as Eric. I thought this
        article sucked. Sure there is truth to many of the points made. However, I
        had a great experience in Peace Corps; it has really shaped my life. All the
        goals I have stem from that experience. If any of you out there feel you can
        write a reply that can encompass the positives in the experience-you
        definitely have my support.

        Luz

        >From: "Bell, Elizabeth" <eib6@...>
        >To: "'Ujeni (ujeni@egroups.com)'" <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [ujeni] FW: AARPCV: Jane Magazine article
        >Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:41:40 -0400
        >
        >Fyi.
        >
        >Elizabeth Bell, MPH
        >STOP Activity Unit
        >Polio Eradication Branch
        >Global Immunization Division
        >Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

        Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today!
        https://broadband.msn.com
      • Rand Wise
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
          Did anyone see the CNN piece that Liz Bell notified us about?  Is this the beginning of a media smear?  I fear that this administration is going one step beyond the traditional Republican approach towards the Peace Corps of letting it sit on the backburner.  Bush has publicly endorsed expanding the Peace Corps, but I can't help but suspect that the Whitehouse neocons are trying to use the media to undermine support for Bush's proposal (with his blessings to be sure).  It's a pattern (that we have already seen with the AIDS funding) to score big PR points and then to fight like hell behind the scenes in the opposite direction, or else to attach strings to proposals that effectively nullify them.
          My two cents,

          Rand