    Message 1 of 1046 , Sep 3, 2003
      Food Aid Agencies Seek to Consolidate Gains

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      September 2, 2003
      Posted to the web September 2, 2003

      Malawi has mostly recovered from last year's food crisis that at its
      height threatened 3.3 million people, but a large vulnerable population
      still needs humanitarian aid.

      World Food Programme (WFP) head of programmes in Malawi, Lola Castro,
      said her agency was planning to feed about 670,000 people through
      targeted distributions to identified vulnerable groups from July 2003 to
      June 2004.

      WFP was assisting malnourished children, pregnant and lactating women,
      primary school children in food-insecure areas, people living with
      HIV/AIDS and the chronically ill with food aid. Food-insecure
      communities were being assisted either with food-for-work or
      food-for-training projects.

      Castro stressed that "the 670,000 [beneficiaries] is the total number
      of people who will receive food over the 12 months" of the WFP's
      emergency operation.

      The highest monthly number of beneficiaries targeted would be "around
      450,000 in January and February, which are normally the worst months -
      just before the harvest, when households have depleted all their [food]
      stocks. Malnutrition increases as well during those months," she told

      Castro remarked that the number of WFP beneficiaries was not the total
      number of people in need of aid in Malawi.

      "This is the total number [of people] that we will assist, but there
      has been talk of about 200,000 households in flood- and drought-affected
      areas [needing aid]. Of course, there are other [aid] pipelines that
      will distribute food to other vulnerable people [not on WFP's list],"
      Castro explained.

      "But we are making sure that we will not duplicate food aid
      [distributions] with other agencies like [the Southern Africa Food
      Security Emergency] C-SAFE - we have made sure that the same people do
      not benefit from both [aid] pipelines," Castro added.

      C-SAFE monitoring and evaluation officer Michka Seroussi told IRIN that
      the organisation's implementing partners in Malawi had "reached about
      93,783 beneficiaries over the three months of May, June and July".

      Like WFP, C-SAFE was targeting vulnerable groups and focussing on
      programmes that would assist in making Malawi's partial recovery
      sustainable. C-SAFE's targeted assistance began in earnest during
      January this year, she added.

      "The situation is better in Malawi than last year. [Among our]
      objectives is restoring the livelihood systems in the countries C-SAFE
      is operational in, and trying to increase and maintain productive
      output, and developing activities to improve resilience to shocks,"
      Seroussi noted.

      Elections a rude 'wake up call', says Moyo

      03 September 2003 13:00

      The ruling party conceded on Wednesday that opposition gains in local
      elections were "a rude wake up call" for its politicians, officials and

      Jonathan Moyo, a ruling party spokesperson who is also the government's
      Information Minister, said victory by the Movement for Democratic Change
      (MDC) in most weekend town council polls across the country were
      sobering and the ruling party needed to examine the reasons for its

      "We should have seen it coming. The writing was on the wall but somehow
      we did not read it," Moyo told the state Herald newspaper, a government

      "We can't be mourning. It's good we have gotten a rude wake up call"
      ahead of the next parliament elections in 2005, he said.

      The opposition won control of 10 town councils in this weekend's local
      elections, according to results released on Tuesday. The opposition MDC
      hailed the polls as a sign people were dissatisfied with the
      increasingly authoritarian government and worsening economic hardships.

      The local elections in this troubled southern African country, which
      included races for two vacant parliament seats, were beset by low
      voter-turnout and reports of political intimidation by members of the
      ruling party.

      The opposition captured 134 council seats across the country to the
      ruling party's 100.

      The opposition also retained its parliament seat in central Harare,
      while the ruling party retained a seat in Makonde, a traditional
      stronghold of the ruling Zanu-PF.

      Moyo said preoccupation over stalled talks between the ruling party and
      the opposition, to negotiate an end to the country's political and
      economic crisis, caused some ruling party officials to lose focus ahead
      of the polls.

      Debate and speculation on a possible ruling party successor to longtime
      ruler President Robert Mugabe (78) also hurt the party, he said.

      Talks between the two main parties collapsed after the opposition
      refused to recognize Mugabe's election for another six-year term in
      presidential polls last year.

      Attempts to revive the talks as the economy crumbled this year have
      failed. Mugabe is demanding the opposition drop a court challenge to his
      re-election scheduled to begin the High Court on November 3.

      The MDC has refused to drop the case and is demanding Mugabe step

      Independent and foreign observers said Mugabe's narrow win in the
      presidential poll was swayed by intimidation, corruption and vote

      Zimbabwe is suffering its worst economic crisis since independence in
      1980, with record inflation of 400%, one of the highest rates in the
      world. Soaring unemployment and acute shortages of hard currency, local
      money, food, gasoline, medicine and other imports are crippling the

      Opposition officials reported widespread intimidation of their
      supporters in the run-up to and during the elections. They also said
      ruling party campaigners were handing out food to voters in some areas
      in a bid to gain their support.

      The state election commission dismissed those reports as "exaggerated".
      - Sapa-AP

      US offers faint praise for Zim election

      03 September 2003 08:13

      The United States on Tuesday begrudgingly offered the faintest of
      praise for the conduct of weekend local elections in Zimbabwe, saying
      there had been "a degree of improvement" over previous polls.

      But the State Department pointedly expressed concern about reports of
      electoral malfeasance including violence, intimidation and vote buying
      on the part of President Robert Mugabe's supporters.

      "We're somewhat encouraged that the elections showed a degree of
      improvement over the March 2003 parliamentary by-elections and the
      September 2002 rural council elections in Zimbabwe," spokesperson
      Richard Boucher said.

      "These local elections were relatively calm, albeit with a very low
      turnout," he said of the voting in which the leading opposition party
      won the majority of seats in urban councils, besting Mugabe's ruling
      Zanu-PF party.

      "We note with concern, however, that there were scattered reports of
      intimidation, violence, vote buying and the politicised use of
      government maize supplies predominantly perpetrated by supporters of the
      ruling party," Boucher said.

      "We're also concerned about flaws in the run-up to the elections, with
      opposition candidates in at least three areas prevented from filing
      paperwork," he said.

      "So there were significant flaws, as I noted, but somewhat improved
      over previous elections."

      The Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) won 134 out of the 238 seats
      that were up for grabs, as well as six of the mayoral elections. Zanu-PF
      took just one mayoral post, according to results available from the

      The elections took place at a time of unprecedented economic and
      political crises in Zimbabwe, for which the US has placed the blame
      squarely on Mugabe.

      Inflation is currently officially running at about 400%, and 75% of
      Zimbabweans live in poverty, according to internationally accepted

      The country has in recent months endured shortages of not only food and
      fuel, but cash with which to buy those commodities.

      Last week, the State Department denounced calls from the Southern
      African Development Community (SADC) for the lifting of US and European
      Union sanctions against Zimbabwe and urged its members to "openly
      distance" themselves from Mugabe's government.

      It said on Thursday that the appeal was misguided and suggested that
      the SADC did not understand the root causes of dire situation in

      "The humanitarian and economic crises in Zimbabwe are a direct result
      of failed Zimbabwean government policies," said Jo-Anne Prokopowicz, a
      department spokesperson. -- Sapa-AFP

      UN forced to close Zim field offices

      03 September 2003 10:14

      The United Nations Relief and Recovery Unit (RRU) in Zimbabwe has been
      forced to close its provincial field offices, which coordinate and
      monitor the use of donor-funded humanitarian aid.

      In the latest Zimbabwe Humanitarian Situation Report released this
      week, the RRU said the government had requested that its "field offices
      be closed from mid-August".

      "The government of Zimbabwe's position is that not all procedures for
      the establishment of this field presence had been properly followed. All
      RRU field staff have been recalled to Harare while negotiations
      proceed," the situation report said.

      It noted that "the provincial field units are mandated to provide
      support to provincial and district-level coordination structures in the
      humanitarian fields. They are also supposed to monitor, from an
      independent perspective, assistance provided with donor resources."

      A UN official said that while the situation was not ideal, "field staff
      are being allowed to go out into the field from Harare".

      "Two teams left yesterday [Monday], one to Matabeland south and the
      other to Midlands province. So, although it would be better to have the
      staff based in the provinces, and that is still the desire of the UN
      [humanitarian] coordinator, their work will still be going on as
      planned," the official added.

      Zimbabwe will have about 5,5 million people in need of food aid by
      January 2004. Last month the government released a new policy directive
      that withdrew responsibility from the World Food Programme (WFP) for the
      selection of beneficiaries and the distribution of food aid, and
      replaced the agency with local government structures and village
      authorities. NGOs would perform only a monitoring role.

      Although the government later gave an assurance to WFP country
      representative Kevin Farrell and UN humanitarain coordinator Victor
      Angelo that the WFP would remain in control of food distributions, the
      directive has not been withdrawn. Critics have protested that it opens
      the door to the potential politicisation of food aid.

      In the case of the RRU, which falls under the office of the
      humanitarian coordinator, the situation report noted that "at all stages
      the RRU and its field officers have worked in collaboration with the
      appropriate government of Zimbabwe authorities at field level".

      "The governors' and provincial administrators' offices have been kept
      informed of all activities, and have also invited RRU to participate in
      some of their activities and programmes where appropriate".

      It was therefore hoped that the closures "are only a temporary measure
      while the protocols and procedures needed to carry out field activities
      are regularised", the RRU said. -- Irin

      Zimbabwe govt hikes maize-buying price

      03 September 2003 11:21

      The Zimbabwe government has more than doubled the price it will pay for
      maize and wheat in a bid to boost production in the famished Southern
      African country, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

      According to the state-controlled Herald, maize will now be bought for
      Z$300 000 (US$364) a tonne, up from Z$130 000, while wheat will now
      fetch a price of Z$400 000 (US$485) a tonne, up from Z$150 000 dollars.

      Millet and sorghum will be bought at the same price as maize, the paper

      It is the second time this year that the government, which is the sole
      legal buyer of grain, has hiked the producer price for wheat and maize,
      amid reports that farmers were holding on to their harvests because of
      the poor prices offered.

      However, the government-run Grain Marketing Board will continue to sell
      maize and wheat to millers for less than the buying price, the newspaper

      Zimbabwe is critically short of food due to poor harvests, which the
      government blames on drought but which aid agencies blame partly on the
      country's controversial government land-reform programme.

      Under the reforms, launched in 2000, land was taken from white farmers
      and redistributed to landless black people, often with little or no
      farming experience, causing production levels to plummet.

      The United Nations's World Food Programme estimates that 5,5 million of
      Zimbabwe's 11,6 million people will require emergency food aid by the
      end of the year. -- Sapa-AFP

      Call for global action on Aids

      By David Loyn
      BBC developing world correspondent

      A new deal to provide cheap anti-aids drugs to the world's poorest
      countries should not be seen as an act of charity but the responsibility
      of the developed world, according to Francisco Sumbane, the Health
      Minister of Mozambique.
      The deal was reached at the weekend, after United States objections
      were swept aside.

      Mr Sumbane said that the deal does no more than deliver on commitments
      previously made to the World Health Organisation (WHO), and agreed at
      the United Nations in the millennium development goals.

      The new agreement will allow the poorest countries to buy generic
      copies of expensive patented drugs.

      The cheaper versions are made mainly in India and Brazil, but they
      cannot be imported into Africa without stringent conditions demanded by
      the US, including the demand that each drugs consignment should have a
      separate licence from the WHO.

      This will make the programme very expensive to administer.

      Global responsibility

      "We have done our bit, but we are not sitting back and waiting for
      gifts. That's why we want this better offer in terms of pricing of drugs
      so we can buy them. It is a matter of morality of course, but it is a
      matter of responsibility because people are dying in their millions," Mr
      Sumbane said.

      The deal is set to clear one obstacle to successful negotiations at the
      key summit of the World Trade Organisation in Cancun, Mexico next week.

      About 12-15% of Mozambique's 18 million population is HIV positive, and
      the availability of cheap antiretroviral remedies could reduce the
      discrimination against those who are affected, according to Dr Alice
      Roussaux, a doctor working for Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF).

      "I think it will make a big difference to discrimination, because if
      you are able to propose something from the moment you are tested, then
      people will come forward. Once they know that they are not the only one,
      you can be HIV positive and still live a life," she explained.

      "If from the moment that you know you are sick that you receive drugs,
      then it is not going to be a death sentence as it is now."

      MSF have been piloting a programme in Mozambique to demonstrate that
      African patients can be trusted to take the drugs responsibly, despite
      the belief of some prominent figures, including Andrew Natsios, the head
      of USAID, that these drugs would be a waste of money in Africa at any
      cost because of the fragility of the health system.

      But only a few hundred patients can be treated.

      Waiting in the queue is Bento Bango, one of Mozambique's most prominent
      journalists, who knows what anti-Aids discrimination is like.

      Earlier this year he announced that he was HIV positive.

      "Not only did I lose my job, but I had a girlfriend and her father did
      not want me to marry her, because he thought I was not worthy to join
      the family. And furthermore my landlord expelled me from my house," he

      'Magic vegetable'

      Mozambicans are also helping themselves to improve their health and
      immunity against the opportunistic diseases which come with Aids.

      The British NGO Action Aid is pioneering the spread of red sweet
      potato, which has an unusually high Vitamin A content. In the Marakuene
      region north of Maputo, the area worst affected by flooding two years
      ago, they call it a magic vegetable, and they even grind it into flour
      to make doughnuts for schoolchildren to improve their health.

      It is all part of a health picture which will significantly help to
      reduce mortality in a country where almost one in five children do not
      reach their fifth birthday.

      The government is moving towards its goal of spending 15% of its budget
      on health care, but Mr Sumbane says this can only be effective if
      generic copies of drugs for other diseases are made available too.

      Malaria continues to kill more people in Mozambique than Aids, and the
      disease it mutating so that only the newest drugs are effective against
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)