news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jul 9, 2003
      Interview with Senior Disaster Preparedness Official Lucius Chikuni,
      Part 2

      UN Integrated Regional Information Networks

      INTERVIEW
      July 8, 2003
      Posted to the web July 8, 2003

      Malawi, like its neighbour Zambia, has staged a remarkable recovery
      from the widespread food shortages of the 2002/03 agricultural season.

      From a situation where nearly 3 million Malawians needed food aid to
      survive at the height of the past year's crisis, aid agencies now
      estimate that the need for food aid will peak at about 400,000 people in
      January 2004. But experts have warned that the recovery is extremely
      fragile.

      IRIN recently interviewed Lucius Chikuni, Secretary to the Minister of
      State Responsible for Poverty and Disaster Management Affairs and
      Commissioner for Disaster Preparedness Relief and Rehabilitation, in the
      capital, Lilongwe.

      This is the second part of the interview in which Chikuni outlines why
      he believes the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) structural
      adjustment directives played an aggravating role in Malawi's food
      crisis, and what is being done to make the country's recent agricultural
      recovery sustainable over the long term.

      MAKING THE RECOVERY SUSTAINABLE

      What is the long-term plan?

      We have embarked on a compost manure programme, so that people don't
      have a total reliance on inorganic soil nutrients - like fertiliser,
      which is expensive - because the IMF forced us to remove subsidies [on
      agricultural inputs].

      We are still bound by that [agreement with the IMF] because balance of
      payments support comes from donors, which can only come if the IMF says
      we have been going on with the agreed programme. If the IMF says we are
      off-track from the agreed programme, the IMF punishes us by withholding
      budget support, and balance of payments support, [and] the donors follow
      suit.

      We want to re-engage the IMF on subsidies, to find out whether there
      can be a way around it (cutting subsidies). [But] as I said, we have
      embarked on a compost/manure utilisation, and also, crop and soil
      husbandry will be intensified, so people will be taught proper methods
      of farming. You see, when independence came ... [the government] of
      Kamuza Banda never enforced forestry management, trees were just cut ...
      we had serious environmental degradation.

      ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION

      My department is busy right now engaging local government on
      contingency plans to try and stop further environmental degradation.
      Still, my department has listed Malawi as right on the verge of
      [environmental] disaster. It is the same environmental degradation that
      has caused heavy siltation in our waterways, to the extent that the
      siltation phenomenon is now affecting electric power generation in the
      Shire River [the main electricity generation facility in Malawi].

      This is causing a lot of serious problems for the economy, [because] of
      frequent power cuts ... [the national power utility] is forced to engage
      in load-shedding.

      Environmental degradation is a very big issue in this country. It will
      take a concerted effort to reverse it - all because of wanton cutting
      down of trees, even in catchment areas. Streams that were once
      perennial, no longer are. When floods occur, it's very bad because
      there's no vegetation, [so] water flows freely.

      We could prevent up to 60 percent of flooding in Malawi ... [through]
      mitigation activities [such as] aforestation of river banks and water
      catchment areas. And in some areas, but not on a big scale, through the
      construction of dykes.

      ECONOMIC POLICY AND FOOD SECURITY

      What of plans to privatise the Agricultural Development and Marketing
      Corporation (ADMARC), which is seen as a safety net for the vulnerable?

      They [ADMARC] have markets throughout the countryside. The concern is,
      if it is privatised, would the private owner keep these markets -
      maintain and sustain markets which are not profitable? The answer is no.
      The private owner would be looking for a return on investment. Some of
      these markets are not profitable, [they] are a social service, and
      people are concerned about this.

      But then again, the IMF and the donors say we must privatise ADMARC,
      along with the other parastatals. I believe the Bretton Woods
      Institutions are wrong - they don't look at the social aspects of the
      parastatals. When these social aspects are removed, misery is brought on
      the people. The people become poorer. (The IMF and its sister
      organisation, the World Bank, were born in 1944 in Bretton Woods, New
      Hampshire, and are commonly referred to as the Bretton Woods
      Institutions.)

      My own view is - we should be permitted to conduct privatisation at a
      comfortable pace, a pace that will not cause a crash for the people of
      Malawi.

      What happened with government's distributions of agricultural inputs to
      communities, the so-called starter-pack programme?

      The universal starter-pack programme helped Malawi a lot. In 1999/2000
      Malawi produced a surplus of 500,000 mt of maize, a total of 2.5 million
      mt.

      But in 2000/2001, donor pressure forced us to cut the starter-pack
      programme and embark on a targeted inputs programme (TIP). Following
      that season, Malawi went into the food crisis. Of course, there were
      other factors like the erratic weather but, in the main, it was because
      people could not afford [agricultural] inputs.

      Because the removal of [agricultural] subsidies happened at the same
      time, inputs became unaffordable. (It is estimated that up to 65 percent
      of Malawians live below the poverty line - on less than US $1 a day.)

      The international community thinks we sold off the strategic grain
      reserves (which aggravated the food shortages) but the major factors
      contributing to the crisis were: the removal of subsidies for inputs;
      and transforming from the universal starter-pack programme to the TIP.

      These are the factors that took us into the food crisis we have just
      experienced.

      *****

      MDC asks Bush to 'save Zimbabwe'

      Pretoria

      09 July 2003 10:16

      Supporters of the Zimbabwe opposition Movement for Democratic Change
      marched on the United States embassy in Pretoria on Wednesday to bring
      the crisis in their country to the attention of visiting US President
      George Bush.

      The group of about 100 people carried posters urging Bush to
      intervene.

      "Bush, like Iraq, save Zimbabwe," some placards read. Another said:
      "Help us liberate Zimbabwe."

      Bush arrived in Pretoria on Tuesday night for a brief official visit to
      South Africa.

      The MDC protesters were hoping to deliver a letter for Bush to embassy
      officials.

      Two lanes of Pretorius Street in front of the embassy were closed to
      traffic going into the city. Metro police from Pretoria and Johannesburg
      were lining the street, keeping a close watch.

      A strong police contingent stood guard at the entrance to the embassy.
      The demonstration was the first in a series planned by different
      groupings at or near the embassy during the day.

      By mid-morning, the Anti-War Coalition was expected to protest against
      the Bush visit because of the war he initiated against Iraq.

      Later in the day the Congress of SA Trade Unions, SA Communist Party
      and the African National Congress are to demonstrate against US foreign
      policy.

      In their letter, the MDC welcomes Bush's pledge to help Africa against
      Aids. It also thanks the US for its consistent condemnation of human
      rights abuses in Zimbabwe. - Sapa

      *****

      Malaria vaccine trial begins

      Scientists hope they are moving closer to preventing deaths from
      malaria with a trial to test a vaccine in children.
      Two thousand children aged one to four will be given the vaccine in a
      study to measure how effective it is at preventing infection.

      About 3,000 African children die of malaria every day.

      A number of vaccines are being developed to prevent deaths and illness,
      but research into this particular vaccine, created by pharmaceutical
      company GlaxoSmithKline, is the most advanced.

      Trials in Europe, the US and Gambia and Mozambique have already
      suggested the vaccine is safe and effective for adults.

      This latest research, which will be carried out in an area where
      malaria is endemic, will also check the vaccine is safe for small
      children to take.

      The children will be monitored for up to 18 months, longer than
      previous trials of the vaccine, to see if they develop the disease.

      Prevention

      In previous short-term trials of the vaccine, its effectiveness has
      appeared to wear off after two months. It is hoped that its protection
      will last longer in children.

      If the trial is successful, further research will be needed.

      Researchers estimate it could be between five and eight years until the
      vaccine, RTS,S/AS02, is available, even if the trials are successful.

      When a mosquito bites, it transmits an early form of the malaria
      parasite called the sporozoite into the bloodstream.

      From there, it moves to the liver, where the full parasite develops.

      Researchers hope that by interrupting the life cycle of the parasite at
      the early sporozoite stage, it will be possible to arm the immune system
      against infection.

      The vaccine is made from a surface protein from the sporozoite.

      This is then combined with two substances which will trigger the immune
      system to attack.

      Delay

      Dr Pedro Alonso, who is heading the study in Mozambique, said: "We are
      looking at whether it could be delivered early in life in a programme
      where it could be delivered to young infants."

      "Our team is committed to finding ways to prevent malaria from
      remaining the number one killer of Africa's children.

      "This trial is an important contribution to that effort and brings us
      that much closer to the goal of immunising children against malaria."

      Dr Ripley Ballou, of GlaxoSmithKline, who has been involved in the
      development of the vaccine, said: "We will be looking to see how many
      children become infected, do they develop anaemia, or other
      complications of malaria."

      Dr Melinda Moree, director of the Malaria Vaccine Initiative which is
      backing the Mozambique research said: "For each month of delay, 120,000
      children die of malaria.

      "Each year, a million more children vanish from the face of the earth
      because we don't have a vaccine."

      *****

      On Goree Island, Bush Visit Sparks Anger
      Tue July 8, 2003 12:00 PM ET

      By Clar Ni Chonghaile
      GOREE ISLAND, Senegal (Reuters) - President Bush made an eloquent
      speech but did not win many friends during his brief visit to Goree
      Island off Senegal on Tuesday.

      "We are very angry. We didn't even see him," said Fatou N'diaye, a
      necklace seller watching dignitaries file past to return to the mainland
      at the end of Bush's tour.

      N'diaye and other residents of Goree, site of a famous slave trading
      station, said they had been taken to a football ground on the other side
      of the quaint island at 6 a.m. and told to wait there until Bush had
      departed, around midday.

      Bush came to Goree to tour the red-brick Slave House, where Africans
      were kept in shackles before being shipped across a perilous sea to a
      lifetime of servitude.

      He then gave an eloquent speech about the horrors of slavery, standing
      at a podium under a sizzling sun near a red-stone museum, topped by
      cannon pointing out to the sea.

      The cooped-up residents were not impressed.

      "It's slavery all over again," fumed one father-of-four, who did not
      want to give his name. "It's humiliating. The island was deserted."

      White House officials said the decision to remove the locals was taken
      by Senegalese authorities. But there was no doubt who the residents
      blamed.

      "We never want to see him come here again," said N'diaye, hiking her
      loose gown onto her shoulders with a frown.

      As the sun rose over Goree before Bush's arrival, the only people to be
      seen on the main beach were U.S. officials and secret service agents.
      Frogmen swam through the shallows and hoisted themselves up to peer into
      brightly painted pirogues.

      Normally, the island teems with tourists, Senegal's ubiquitous traders,
      hawkers of cheap African art, photographers offering to take pictures
      and all the expected trappings of a tourist hot-spot in one of the
      world's poorest countries.

      On Tuesday, shutters on the yellow and red colonial-style houses
      remained shut. The cafes were closed and the narrow pier deserted, apart
      from security agents manning a metal detector, near the sandy beach. A
      gunship patrolled offshore.

      "We understand that you have to have security measures, since September
      11, but to dump us in another place...? We had to leave at 6 a.m. I
      didn't have time to bathe, and the bread did not arrive," the
      father-of-four said.

      "We were shut up like sheep," said 15-year-old Mamadou.

      Many residents compared Bush's hour-long visit unfavorably to the
      island tour by former President Bill Clinton in 1998.

      "When Clinton came, he shook hands, people danced," said former Mayor
      Urbain Alexandre Diagne.

      As the Bush roadtrip moved on, Goree was returning to normal with
      children once again diving into the shallows and clambering over the now
      inoffensive pirogues.

      *****

      Congress set to slash Africa aid

      By Steve Schifferes
      BBC News Online, Washington

      AS US President George W Bush proclaims his commitment to Africa during
      this week's five-day trip, his Republicans in Congress are planning on
      cutting back the money allocated to his much-vaunted plans to tackle
      HIV/Aids and encourage development.

      The White House says Bush is underlining his commitment to Africa
      At the heart of the president's new focus on Africa are two initiatives
      for which the administration has promised a significant increase in
      funding.

      Mr Bush has pledged $15bn to fight HIV/Aids, primarily in Africa, over
      the next five years, and an additional $10bn in additional foreign aid
      over the next three years in a new Millennium Challenge Account.

      But the House of Representatives Appropriations Committee - which
      determines how much money will actually be spent in next year's budget -
      looks set to cut back that request when it meets on Thursday.

      Representative Jim Kolbe, chairman of the subcommittee on foreign
      operations, said that in his view Congress would be unlikely to allocate
      the full amount because neither initiative will be fully operational by
      the time the fiscal year begins.

      The amounts "assume you have full-blown programmes up and running on
      October 1, and that's not the case," he said.

      Mr Bush has just recently appointed his Global Aids administrator, a
      former pharmaceutical executive, Randall Tobias.

      In all the Bush administration has requested $18.9bn in foreign aid for
      the next fiscal year, but the House appropriations committee has said it
      plans to allocate only $17.lbn - a reduction of $1.8bn.

      Aid agencies worried

      Jamie Drummond, executive director of Data, a pressure group set up to
      campaign for debt relief and African aid, said that the two new
      programmes together could represent a massive change in America's
      commitment to Africa, increasing US aid spending to that region from
      $1bn now to $5bn in 2006.

      But he warned that the trip "was set up in quite a dramatic way to see
      if the president will see through on his promises".

      Mr Drummond said it would be ironic that, while Mr Bush was in Africa,
      "the House foreign operations subcommittee was actually deciding to
      slash those promises, to break them if you like".

      And he warned that there should be no cutbacks in other programmes to
      fund these new initiatives, nor restrictions on contributions from other
      nations.

      Aid experts say that it may be difficult for many African countries to
      meet the strict conditions that the US has set for receiving funds from
      the new Millennium Challenge Account, which requires nations to adhere
      to strict standards of openness and democracy.

      It may be that as few as four or five African nations would qualify for
      the first wave of assistance under this programme.

      There are also significant problems of health care delivery in relation
      to HIV/Aids, with many African nations lacking the basic public health
      infrastructure to deliver improved care.

      Trade talks

      Meanwhile, experts are concerned about the lack of progress in
      negotiations over trade in agricultural products, which could offer more
      real benefits to African economies than any aid programme.

      Robert Shapiro of the Brookings Institution points out that while many
      African countries have a per capita income of $1 per day, in Europe the
      agricultural subsidy per cow is $2 per day.

      Overall, subsidies by rich countries for agricultural amount to $300bn,
      compared to $50bn in foreign aid.

      Mr Shapiro said that African income from exports of agricultural
      products could triple from $10bn to $30bn if subsidies were reduced.

      But with trade talks between the US and the EU over agriculture
      deadlocked in the run-up to the crucial Cancun summit in September,
      there is little hope that Africa can develop its natural advantage in
      the near future.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****