Re: [ujeni] HRH

  • Luz Huntington
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      And we wonder why administrative costs are so high.....
      Luz

    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003

        Dear all,

        I am not much of a fan of Rush Limbaugh but if this is true (the Social
        Security exemption of members of Congress) he may be onto something
        about how to fix the system. I am also not sure about how much is his
        words and what was added or edited by the forwarders.

        Christine was out to stir some action with the HRH message. What does
        HRH mean? Not much action, life is just too busy.

        More later,

        Vyrle

        Quote from the persons who forwarded this to me: "I wonder how many
        people are aware of this information. Love him or loath him, he nailed
        this one right on the head ..."

        By Rush Limbaugh:

        I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the
        September 11 casualty and those who die serving the country in Uniform
        are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just
        don't criticize anything having to do with September 11.

        Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says something
        really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country.

        If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to
        get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of
        $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

        If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in
        action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half
        of which is taxable. Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are
        the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry.

        And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When
        the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

        Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of
        $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough.
        Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong
        place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF
        US, and they and their families know the dangers.

        We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the
        Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same
        deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that,
        some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for
        compensation as well.

        You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel
        of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just
        really sad.

        Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive
        next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the
        Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live
        in low-rent housing. Make sense?

        However, our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many
        of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to
        receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month, and most are now
        equal to being millionaires plus. They also do not receive Social
        Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system.

        If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an
        E-7, you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people
        who placed you in harm's way receive a pension of $15,000 per month. I
        would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks
        before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and
        daughters who are now fighting.

        "When do we finally do something about this?" If this doesn't seem fair
        to you, it is time to forward this to as many people as you can.

        If your interested there is more............

        This must be a campaign issue in 2004. Keep it going. SOCIAL SECURITY:

        (This is worth the read. It's short and to the point.)

        Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years. Our
        Senators and Congressmen do not pay into Social Security. Many years ago
        they voted in their own benefit plan. In more recent years, no
        congressperson has felt the need to change it. For all practical
        purposes their plan works like this:

        When they retire, they continue to draw the same pay until they die,
        except it may increase from time-to-time for cost of living adjustments.
        For example, former Senator Byrd and Congressman White and their wives
        may expect to draw $7,800,000 - that's Seven Million, Eight Hundred
        Thousand), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the last years of
        their lives.

        This is calculated on an average life span for each.

        Their cost for this excellent plan is $00.00. These little perks they
        voted for themselves is free to them. You and I pick up the tab for this
        plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the
        General Fund--our tax dollars at work! From our own Social Security
        Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into --every payday until we
        retire (which amount is matched by our employer) --we can expect to get
        an average $1,000 per month after retirement. Or, in other words, we
        would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly benefits for 68
        years and one month to equal Senator Bill Bradley's benefits!

        Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made.
        And that change would be to jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from
        under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security
        plan with the rest of us and then watch how fast they would fix it.

        If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted
        and maybe good changes will evolve. WE, each one of us... can make a
        difference..

        How many people can YOU send this to?

        IN GOD I TRUST.
        Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
        GOD SAID IT, I BELIEVE IT, AND THAT DOES IT.
      • Vyrle Owens
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003

          Dear Christine,

          Interesting piece on PC Director visits abroad. Actually not a lot
          different from the past. The wording is a bit demanding and direct but
          not really unusual. Nevertheless, I would think the director of an
          agency which expects its key personnel (the Volunteers) to be flexible
          and adjust to local conditions would also exemplify flexibility. But I
          think the current administration is much more ego-centric than some in
          the past.

          I have experienced a PC Director visit and a Vice President visit (VP
          Gore), as Country Director. Both were much easier than this appears to
          be but the VP visit was very strictly managed as one might imagine for
          security concerns. The PC Director wanted to visit volunteers which I
          thought was great. The Regional Director and I made the official
          visits. I did prepare a detailed itinerary (in 15 minute increments)
          for the PC Director visit. It fell apart because of lost luggage and
          spontaneous shopping activities, but for the most part was useful as a
          planning tool.

          Most Host Country officials are very sensitive to protocol and
          appreciate knowing as much as possible about the preferences, (food,
          transport, security, meetings, etc.) of the visitor. So while the memo
          is stated in rather demanding terms much of the information is very
          useful.

          Preparing the briefing book is a lot of work, but reasonably simple if
          the information is kept up to date. All staff and volunteer resumes are
          on file and usually available at the County Desk. Photographs should be
          much easier now with digital imaging and e-mail. Passport photos were
          the norm in the past, but we all know how flattering and descriptive
          they can be.

          I also prefer round tables, but certainly do not expect anyone to make a
          special purchase just to gratify my preference. I think a little bit of
          humility and recognition of the "sovereignty" of the Host Country would
          go a long ways toward "world peace and friendship."

          I guess it is the arrogance of the directive that bothers me more than
          anything. The practical aspects are actually quite useful.

          Y'all be good,

          Vyrle

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2003
            Thanks for your perspective on this, Vyrle. I, too, was most bothered
            by the tone, and the need to stay in a different part of the hotel from
            other PC staff (?!). This is just one of many stories I've heard about
            Gaddi, including that he always has to have someone carry his briefcase
            for him. HRH, by the way, stands for His Royal Highness.

            >>> vyrle@... 7/5/03 7:12 PM >>>