HRH

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      Just to stir up a little controversy, I got this from a PCHQ source.
      It's apparently country desk guidance for when the PC director goes on
      country visits. Sounds pretty darn demanding, and pretty unflexible to
      me...

      CDU=country desk unit
      RD=regional director
      don't know who Roberto or Lloyd are

      >Debrief of Director Gaddi Vasquez's trip

      > The most important point that was that the CDU should be in
      direct
      >contact with Roberto Coquis about the Director's preferences versus

      going

      >through the RD. The direct communication will (hopefully)
      alleviate
      >unnecessary back and forth.

      >v Caribbean desk holds the best example of a briefing book for
      the
      >Director.

      >o The photos of staff, etc, MUST be in color.

      >o The book should include biographies of staff, volunteers and

      anyone that

      >the Director will meet.

      >o Post and the CDU will work closely to develop the briefing
      book,
      which

      >will change with each visit and as the itinerary changes.

      >o Many parts of the briefing book may be completed well in
      advance
      of a

      >visit. Posts may consider beginning to prepare some of these
      documents

      >during any time staff has a lighter work load.

      >v There will be a lot of back and forth regarding the agenda.
      The
      Director

      >likes to keep a tight schedule. Meetings or events must NOT be

      scheduled

      >until approval from Lloyd has been granted. However, the Director

      would

      >like to see an example of the proposed schedule. The CDU and post

      can

      >design a "preliminary" agenda (with the help of Roberto Coquis),
      then
      show

      >to the Director's Office and get feedback. Only after the agenda
      is
      >approved by Lloyd or Gaddi personally may any meetings or events be

      >arranged.

      >v The Director wants as much 'appropriate' press as possible at

      every event

      >. Details of anticipated press attendance must be included in the

      briefing

      >material (who, when, where, etc).

      >v The Director will expect to have meetings with high-profile

      people

      >(president, prime minister, etc).

      >v The Director will need to know precise details of how every

      aspect

      of his

      >visit will take place (including travel times from the airport to

      hotel

      and

      >every meeting or event scheduled, exact details of how all
      facilities
      for

      >each event will be set up, a description of every person who will
      be
      on

      >hand for each event or meeting etc). Once the agenda and briefing

      materials

      >are approved, there should be no deviation from this plan without

      prior

      >approval from Lloyd or Gaddi.

      >v Protocols:

      >o Meeting Protocol - Director prefers roundtables that seat 6

      people.

      >These 6 people should be Director Vasquez, the Regional Director
      (if
      also

      >on that trip), Country Director, 2 Volunteers, and 1 Host Country

      >counterpart. Also, it is important to have the actual layout of
      the
      >meeting room (ie, 4 roundtables in an L-shape room, water on the
      table
      or

      >not, etc..)

      >o Travel Protocol - There will be two cars for the delegation at

      all

      times.

      >Director Vasquez will ride in a car with the Press Secretary (Ellen

      Field)

      >and the Country Director. If the Regional Director is also part of

      the

      >trip, s/he will only ride to/from the airport with Gaddi. During
      the
      rest

      >of the visit the RD will ride with the PTO (or designated staff).

      >o Hotel Protocol - Director Vasquez must have his hotel room on
      separate

      >floor from any of the staff accompanying him or other Peace Corps

      staff

      or

      >Volunteers. There will be no exceptions to this requirement. If

      >necessary, the CDU (or Post) can call the hotel to ensure this

      happens.

      >Also, someone should complete as much of the check-in with the
      hotel
      as

      >possible, so that Director Vasques does not have to wait-he should
      be
      able

      >to go immediately to his room upon arrival.

      >o Food Protocol - Director Vasquez is on a strict diet and will
      not
      eat

      >anything spicy, fried, fatty, etc. He prefers buffet-style meals
      as
      that

      >offers him the chance to stick to his diet without standing out.

      Post

      >should ensure that a non-spicy, healthily prepared fish or chicken

      meal

      is

      >available to the Director for all lunch and dinners.

      >o Again there should be no surprises for the Director. If there
      is
      any

      >deviation from any aspect of the plan put forth in the briefing

      materials,

      >it should be approved by Lloyd or the Director personally prior to

      >rescheduling.

      >v The CD and PTO should always accompany the delegation. It is

      very

      >important to have a "time-keeper" to ensure that the agenda is
      tight.
      The

      >PTO should ideally hold this role. It is important that the
      meetings
      stay

      >within the allotted times and the schedule is followed precisely as

      written

      >(and approved). No one from the delegation will indicate when time
      has

      >passed but will expect to arrive at and leave from meetings at the

      time

      >indicated on the approved agenda.

      >v If a Host Country Agency would like to host a luncheon, the

      Associate

      >General Counsel, Carl Sosebee must approve it prior to it being

      scheduled.

      >v It is important to find out what gifts the Director can
      receive
      and what

      >he can give. Post should suggest appropriate gifts from Gaddi to
      those
      with

      >whom he will be meeting. Please consult GC if you are unfamiliar
      with
      the

      >ethics regulating gift giving and receiving.

      >v If possible, it is recommended that the Country Director go

      through a dry

      >run of the actual agenda, how long it takes to get from each of the

      >meetings to the next planned on the agenda. This will help ensure
      that

      >times are correct.

    • Luz Huntington
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        And we wonder why administrative costs are so high.....
        Luz

      • Vyrle Owens
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003

          Dear all,

          I am not much of a fan of Rush Limbaugh but if this is true (the Social
          Security exemption of members of Congress) he may be onto something
          about how to fix the system. I am also not sure about how much is his
          words and what was added or edited by the forwarders.

          Christine was out to stir some action with the HRH message. What does
          HRH mean? Not much action, life is just too busy.

          More later,

          Vyrle

          Quote from the persons who forwarded this to me: "I wonder how many
          people are aware of this information. Love him or loath him, he nailed
          this one right on the head ..."

          By Rush Limbaugh:

          I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the
          September 11 casualty and those who die serving the country in Uniform
          are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just
          don't criticize anything having to do with September 11.

          Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says something
          really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country.

          If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to
          get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of
          $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

          If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in
          action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half
          of which is taxable. Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are
          the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry.

          And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When
          the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

          Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of
          $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough.
          Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong
          place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF
          US, and they and their families know the dangers.

          We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the
          Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same
          deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that,
          some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for
          compensation as well.

          You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel
          of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just
          really sad.

          Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive
          next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the
          Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live
          in low-rent housing. Make sense?

          However, our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many
          of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to
          receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month, and most are now
          equal to being millionaires plus. They also do not receive Social
          Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system.

          If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an
          E-7, you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people
          who placed you in harm's way receive a pension of $15,000 per month. I
          would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks
          before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and
          daughters who are now fighting.

          "When do we finally do something about this?" If this doesn't seem fair
          to you, it is time to forward this to as many people as you can.

          If your interested there is more............

          This must be a campaign issue in 2004. Keep it going. SOCIAL SECURITY:

          (This is worth the read. It's short and to the point.)

          Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years. Our
          Senators and Congressmen do not pay into Social Security. Many years ago
          they voted in their own benefit plan. In more recent years, no
          congressperson has felt the need to change it. For all practical
          purposes their plan works like this:

          When they retire, they continue to draw the same pay until they die,
          except it may increase from time-to-time for cost of living adjustments.
          For example, former Senator Byrd and Congressman White and their wives
          may expect to draw $7,800,000 - that's Seven Million, Eight Hundred
          Thousand), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the last years of
          their lives.

          This is calculated on an average life span for each.

          Their cost for this excellent plan is $00.00. These little perks they
          voted for themselves is free to them. You and I pick up the tab for this
          plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the
          General Fund--our tax dollars at work! From our own Social Security
          Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into --every payday until we
          retire (which amount is matched by our employer) --we can expect to get
          an average $1,000 per month after retirement. Or, in other words, we
          would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly benefits for 68
          years and one month to equal Senator Bill Bradley's benefits!

          Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made.
          And that change would be to jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from
          under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security
          plan with the rest of us and then watch how fast they would fix it.

          If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted
          and maybe good changes will evolve. WE, each one of us... can make a
          difference..

          How many people can YOU send this to?

          IN GOD I TRUST.
          Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
          GOD SAID IT, I BELIEVE IT, AND THAT DOES IT.
        • Vyrle Owens
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003

            Dear Christine,

            Interesting piece on PC Director visits abroad. Actually not a lot
            different from the past. The wording is a bit demanding and direct but
            not really unusual. Nevertheless, I would think the director of an
            agency which expects its key personnel (the Volunteers) to be flexible
            and adjust to local conditions would also exemplify flexibility. But I
            think the current administration is much more ego-centric than some in
            the past.

            I have experienced a PC Director visit and a Vice President visit (VP
            Gore), as Country Director. Both were much easier than this appears to
            be but the VP visit was very strictly managed as one might imagine for
            security concerns. The PC Director wanted to visit volunteers which I
            thought was great. The Regional Director and I made the official
            visits. I did prepare a detailed itinerary (in 15 minute increments)
            for the PC Director visit. It fell apart because of lost luggage and
            spontaneous shopping activities, but for the most part was useful as a
            planning tool.

            Most Host Country officials are very sensitive to protocol and
            appreciate knowing as much as possible about the preferences, (food,
            transport, security, meetings, etc.) of the visitor. So while the memo
            is stated in rather demanding terms much of the information is very
            useful.

            Preparing the briefing book is a lot of work, but reasonably simple if
            the information is kept up to date. All staff and volunteer resumes are
            on file and usually available at the County Desk. Photographs should be
            much easier now with digital imaging and e-mail. Passport photos were
            the norm in the past, but we all know how flattering and descriptive
            they can be.

            I also prefer round tables, but certainly do not expect anyone to make a
            special purchase just to gratify my preference. I think a little bit of
            humility and recognition of the "sovereignty" of the Host Country would
            go a long ways toward "world peace and friendship."

            I guess it is the arrogance of the directive that bothers me more than
            anything. The practical aspects are actually quite useful.

            Y'all be good,

            Vyrle

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2003
              Thanks for your perspective on this, Vyrle. I, too, was most bothered
              by the tone, and the need to stay in a different part of the hotel from
              other PC staff (?!). This is just one of many stories I've heard about
              Gaddi, including that he always has to have someone carry his briefcase
              for him. HRH, by the way, stands for His Royal Highness.

              >>> vyrle@... 7/5/03 7:12 PM >>>