RE: [ujeni] Digest Number 1158

  • Holland, Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2003
      That's an auto-generated e-mail address from a spammer. You can tell by the number at the end: spammers add random digits or characters to their e-mail addresses to get around people like us who want to block them. The next e-mail we get from these slimeballs will almost certainly have a different number on the end and probably a different text name at the front as well, so blocking this address probably won't help a lot. Also, most spam comes from proxy companies that contract to send it out by the tens of millions, so there isn't even a human being anywhere on the other end. Or, at least, not a human being who understands the concept of shame.

      Yahoo uses spam filters by default, this one must have slipped through. Usually the best way to deal with it is to report it as spam to yahoo, so that they start adding it to the filters they use by default. On my personal yahoo account all I have to do is click the 'this is spam' button, but I'm not sure how it works for a mailing list.

      Mark

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2003
        Sorry, we've been away from the computer. I don't quite understand how this person is posting. According to Yahoo, only group members can post messages, and whoever this is is not a member of the group. I submitted the email address for banning, so hopefully that works.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2003
          Thanks Mark.