news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jun 11, 2003
      Man Utd help Malawi street kids

      Malawi's football-loving street children have a good reason to cheer.
      Manchester United have donated two full replica strips for a street
      children's football team in the capital, Blantyre.

      The donation was in response to an on-air challenge by BBC Radio Five
      Live.

      Whilst reporting live from Malawi on the food crisis in the country,
      Radio Five Live presenter Rajesh Mirchandani challenged Manchester
      United to donate a complete team strip to Chisomo FC, a team of street
      children from Chisomo children's club in the country's largest city,
      Blantyre.

      The club responded by donating two sets of shirts, shorts and socks,
      plus a goalkeeper's strip and two footballs, which have now arrived in
      Malawi.

      The club was formed to enable children to leave the streets by helping
      to rebuild their self-confidence.

      "The street children we met are crazy about football - to them it's so
      much more than just a game - it helps them cope with their troubles,"
      says Rajesh Mirchandani.

      Bare feet

      Chisomo FC is Malawi's only street children's football team.

      When the team first entered Blantyre under-14's league, the other teams
      were not used to playing football with street children.

      The street children were social outcasts and played without football
      boots and strips unlike many other teams.

      Last year Chisomo FC finished ninth in the Blantyre district league -
      their first season - out of a total of 20 teams.

      Last season's highlight was winning a local tournament where they
      outplayed some of Blantyre's strongest teams.

      "Football helps the children to have fun, to realise they have talents
      and to learn discipline. To play for Chisomo the children have to work
      hard at school or at the apprenticeships they are doing," says Chisomo
      FC coach Macdonald Nkhutabasa.

      Chisomo Children's Club, supported by Christian relief and development
      agency Tearfund, works with some of Malawi's most vulnerable children.

      Many of them are forced into a life on the streets by poverty and
      HIV/Aids.

      Since 1998, the club has worked to enable hundreds of children to
      return to school or start apprenticeships in skills such as carpentry
      and metal work.

      Many of these children have also been reunited with families.

      *****

      The Plight of Women Beggars On the Streets

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      June 8, 2003
      Posted to the web June 8, 2003

      Maxwell Zingani
      Lilongwe

      One often wonders how a woman who is blind or has a physical disability
      and lives and survives by begging in the streets will make her situation
      worse by becoming pregnant and having a string of children to provide
      for.

      Most of these women offer sex to men in exchange for some of the things
      that they may need. They often get raped in the process of trying to
      negotiate.

      One blind woman who makes her living by begging, Ndole Mussa, who is
      popularly known as amayi a Chifundo (Chifundo's mother) said that she
      was made pregnant by a watchman at a shop where she used to spend her
      nights.

      'All the watchmen were chasing beggers from the shop varandas that they
      were guarding but this particular watchman let me and another woman
      begger spend the night in the shelter of the shop,' said Mussa.

      She went on to say that the watchman later told her that if she wanted
      to continue to spend the night at the shop that he was gaurding she must
      have sex with him.

      'When I refused, he called his friend and the two of them forced me to
      have sex with them,' said Mussa, She went on to say that when she
      discovered that she was pregnant she tried to find the men that had
      raped her but they were no longer where they used to be.

      'Moreover, being blind, I only knew them by voice, therefore it was
      difficult for me to trace them,' said Mussa adding that she had heard
      later that the father to her child had also slept with other women
      beggers.

      'It was not just me who was raped by this partcular watchman, there
      were others who had been raped by him,' said Mussa She said in the rainy
      season things get tough because they need shelter.

      This is also the time that the watchmen take advantage of them knowing
      how desparate they are for shelter from the rain. .

      Mussa said that this was not the only time that she was raped by
      watchmen or other people who move around at night.

      'One night I was raped by 6 people who I think were a gang of thiefs,'
      said Mussa.

      As if raping her was not enough of a nightmare, the men tore her cloths
      leaving her almost naked.

      'That was the only set of cloths that I had and lucky for me, the
      following morning a woman took pity on me and gave me a dress,' said
      Mussa.

      She said that she has no doubts that she has been infected by HIV/AIDS
      because of the number of men that she has slept with.

      'I have been raped numerous times by countless men and I'm sure I have
      AIDS - but there is nothing that I can do about it,' she said.

      Another disabled woman who is also a beggar, Mary Zimange, said that
      although she has never been raped by these watchmen, she offers them sex
      in exchange for food or money.

      'There are times when things get tough that we can go for two days
      without having anything to eat, so it is during these times that I have
      no choice but to offer sex to watchmen, or other men who are also on the
      streets so that I can have something to eat,' she declares.

      She says she has been on the streets of Lilongwe for the past 10 years
      and is mother of a 4 year old son. She goes futher to say that she has
      had sex with many men. Asked whether these men were using condoms she
      simply asked 'Why?' saying that most men that she sleeps with never
      mentioned the use of a condom.

      Asked if she was not concerned about becoming infected with HIV and
      contracting AIDS she says: 'Ndilibe nazo ntchito, ndi chimodzimodzi
      munthu wakufa, (I don't care, I am as good as a dead person).' She said
      that when she discovered that she was pregnant the man who had made her
      pregnant refused responsiblity.

      'When I told him that I was pregnant he said that he was not the one
      who was responsible. From that time until today, I never seen him
      again,' said Zimange.

      She has slept with other men in order to provide food for herself and
      her son.

      'I need money to survive and when things get tough and people are not
      giving us money, I have to find other ways to survive.'

      A noticeable number of women who are on the streets begging are either
      nursing infants or are pregnant. The fathers of these children do not
      want to take responsibilty for the children.

      *****

      Zimbabwe's 'self defeating repression'

      Washington

      11 June 2003 09:24

      For the fourth time in five days, the United States on Tuesday
      pilloried Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's government for its
      crackdown on the opposition, calling it "self-defeating repression."

      The State Department, which on Monday accused Harare of escalating a
      campaign of "intimidation and suppression," renewed its calls for a
      dialogue between the government and its foes and again demanded the
      immediate release of detained opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.

      "We deplore the government of Zimbabwe's harassment and provocation of
      the political opposition," deputy department spokesperson Philip Reeker
      said.

      "This is a time when dialogue between the government and opposition is
      urgently needed, and the government should immediately cease its assault
      on the opposition and pursue such a dialogue," he told reporters.
      eo longer where they used
      Since Thursday, the State Department has steadily stepped up its
      criticism of Harare as the government cracked down anew on the
      opposition.

      Reeker said the Mugabe government's pursuit of ruinous economic and
      social policies alone were responsible for the devastating crises in
      Zimbabwe and dismissed a treason charge against Tsvangirai as
      "spurious."

      "The violence and coercion that have been propagated by the Mugabe
      regime threatens Zimbabwe and have inflicted ... overwhelming hardship
      on the people," he said, adding that the situation would likely get
      worse unless Mugabe and his aides agreed to a dialogue with the
      opposition.

      "Their continued recalcitrance in the face of the situation there
      represents really a self-defeating repression of the opposition and
      stands in the way of a process forward to improve life for Zimbabweans
      and to put the country back on the course of democracy and stability and
      prosperity," Reeker said.

      The spokesperson was unmoved by reports that one of Tsvangirai's top
      deputies, Welshman Ncube, who was detained by authorities on Monday
      three days after his boss, had been freed.

      "We think they should both be released and these spurious charges
      dropped," Reeker said.

      The charges against Tsvangirai stem from his Movement for Democratic
      Change (MDC) party's call for mass protests against Mugabe's government
      which it blames the government for the severe economic and social
      hardships gripping the country, including food, fuel and money
      shortages.

      Mugabe has accused Tsvangirai of inciting his supporters to overthrow
      the government although the MDC insists the strikes and streets marches
      it encouraged last week were intended only to show public anger at the
      government.

      Hundreds of opposition supporters, activists and officials were
      arrested or assaulted by state agents during the week of mass action.

      Mugabe has defended the use of force against the demonstrators, saying
      it was necessary to preserve national security.

      Tsvangirai appeared in Harare's high court on Wednesday, handcuffed,
      shackled and in prison uniform, for a hearing on his application for
      bail. The court accepted a defence request for Tsvangirai to attend in
      civilian dress, and the hearing was briefly suspended to allow the
      opposition chief to change. - Sapa-AFP
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****