    Message 1 of 1046 , Jun 2, 2003
      President Muluzi's Gun Trade a Security Threat, Says NDA

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      June 2, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      Wezie Nyirongo

      The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) President Brown Mpinganjira has
      expressed his concern at the fact that the State President, Bakili
      Muluzi who owns Rocksizer Mining Contractors is involved in the
      importation, selling and trading in guns and ammunition, saying that
      this is a very dangerous situation for any country to be in.

      He said Rocksizer is personally registered under the name of E. B.
      (Elison Bakili) Muluzi using the Sanjika Palace address as the business'
      registered contact.

      The company won the tender to import and supply all the arms and
      ammunition for the Malawi Army and the Police Service, private security
      firms as well as all explosives for the mining and allied industry after
      Marketing Services Malawi (MSM) who were the traditional suppliers under
      the Malawi Import & Export Company lost their ability to supply the
      service to the country in the year 1997.

      A reliable source within the police told The Chronicle that the supply
      of ammunition from the company to the Malawi Police Services amounts to
      approximately MK3 million per year and the amount is likely to go up
      because they will soon start ordering rubber bullets from the company
      for crowd control. The Malawi Army too pays an amount close to MK6.5
      million per year for the supply of ammunition for their forces from
      Rocksizer Mining Company.

      'Instead of trying to alleviate the poverty of Malawians, Muluzi has
      enriched himself beyond expectations and made himself into a businessman
      whose reach and influence is far beyond the ordinary. He owns Rocksizer,
      a company which, apart from grinding rocks and supplying gravel for
      roads and for building, has a license to sell guns and ammunition,' said
      Mpinganjira recently at a rally held in Kasungu.

      'Imagine, the Head of State owning such a company! What do you expect
      from him? Poverty is now rampant in the country because we lack a
      responsible leader who can help people rather than a businessman who is
      there just to make himself richer,' said Mpinganjira saying it is
      dangerous and questionable for a head of state to own a company which
      deals with guns running.

      However, The Chronicle has established that the Malawi Constitution
      forbids the president from actively embarking on any business
      transactions and activity where the businesses material interests
      conflict with the responsibilities and duties of his office. Section 88,
      subsection 4 says: 'Any business interests held by the President and
      Members of the Cabinet shall be held on their behalf in a beneficial
      trust which shall be managed in such a manner as to ensure conformity
      with this section.' In addition, subsection 5 says: 'The President and
      Members of the Cabinet shall not use their respective offices for
      personal gains or place themselves in a situation where their material
      interests conflicts with the responsibilities and duties of their
      offices.' Since 1994 when Malawi entered the new multi-party
      dispensation many cabinet ministers have been intimately involved in
      their respective businesses, often obtaining remuneration to supplement
      their cabinet salaries.

      The President has been on record as saying that he does not get any
      money from the public purse for his numerous political rallies and has
      even contributed to state functions from his businesses, a fact that
      runs counter to the terms and spirit of the constitution which expressly
      forbids additional remuneration from one's businesses.

      The concern by the opposition leader of the president being involved in
      the importation, sale and control of the nations munitions industry
      comes in the wake of fears of arms caches being established to possibly
      destabilise the country should the UDF fail to win in the next
      elections. The episode of the threat in 1994 of the defunct Malawi Young
      Pioneers (MYP) runs fresh in the minds of most Malawians.

      Sexual Harassement Encourages Spread of HIV/Aids

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      June 2, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      Maxwell Zingani

      When Sofia Moya (not real name) falls pregnant from her boss' husband
      she is fired from the job and left without support from the father of
      her unborn baby.

      The only choice that she has is to return to her home village to wait
      for the birth of her baby and a future that is not secure. The man who
      has made her pregnant is not concerned and, his wife is happy and
      relieved that the woman who was sharing her husband with her is no
      longer in their house.

      Sofia who was working as a housemaid for the couple is left without

      She has to face the challenges of having her first baby by herself,
      This is not the end of her problems. In fact, this is only the

      When she gets home her family treats her like a prostitute. Sofia is
      not a sex worker. The truth is that, in order to keep her job, Sofia had
      to have sex with her boss' husband. Losing her job means no income for
      her to send to her family in the village and they all depended on the
      money that she sends - it is a life line for her family.

      The case of Sofia is not happening only to housemaids alone, but to
      women working in other places. These women are forced to suffer in
      silence for fear of losing their jobs.

      Doreen (surname withheld) said that she has sex with her boss whom she
      knows is dating four other girls at the some company.

      'I usually have sex with my boss right in his office because he said
      that if I refuse to, he is going to get rid of me so that he employs
      someone who can give him the pleasure that he wants.

      'The problem is that he also has sex with some of my workmates, and
      there are chances that I am exposed to HIV/AIDS,' said Doreen Most of
      women who refuse to give their bosses what is termed 'the office ride'
      face numerous problems and are often fired when they try to object to
      the continued abuse.

      Joyce Khungwa, lost her job because she refused to have sex with her

      'When he approached me and told me that he wanted to sleep with me, I
      refused. Two days later I was fired. I received a letter saying that I
      was fired on the grounds that I was incompetent. He had already told me
      that since I had refused to sleep with him I was not going to remain
      with the firm,' said Khungwa, 23 who lives in one of the township in the
      capital city.

      Lorine Muhuju said she has been forced to have sex with a workmate who
      has been helping her resolve a problem that she was having with the
      machinery that she was to be using.

      'When I had just joined this particular firm I had problems in using
      the computers because they were different from the computers that I used
      where I was working before. I asked for help from one of my fellow
      computer operator but one day when working late he said that he was not
      going to assist me any more unless I had sex with him that night,' said
      Muhuju, a 27 year old, computer operator at one of the non governmental
      organisation based in Lilongwe. She went on to say that the work that
      they had before them was very urgent and if she did not finish it, there
      was the possibility that she could lose her job. Put in a position where
      her income could be removed through losing her job, she accepted what
      the fellow computer operator wanted.

      'Without him I knew that I was not going to be able do anything on my
      own. When I asked him to use a condom. He said there was no where he
      could have got a condom at the time, I slept with him without a condom
      though I knew that it was dangerous but I did not have a choice,' said

      Most women who have been in such situations feel that there are chances
      that they may be infected by HIV/AIDS because these men who rape women
      in this manner do not use a condom. This puts the women at risk of
      contracting HIV/AIDS. Men who are involved in this practice usually
      sleep with other women using the same coercive manner.

      Because of the possibility of losing their jobs and incomes, women
      choose to keep silent on this issue. Even though they know that they are
      in danger of becoming infected with HIV/AIDS, the loss of financial
      income prevents them from exposing the abuse.

      'If I go about telling this to people, they will call me all sorts of
      names and some will not believe that I was forced to do it. Moreover, at
      they end of the day it can cost me my job,' said Doreen saying she is
      concerned about becoming infected with HIV/AIDS.

      ' My only worry is that it could be possible that my boss has the virus
      and I might be affected as well,' said Muhuju.

      Reports have indicated that a lot of women are being sexually abused in
      work places. Society for the Advancement of Women (SAW) is one of the
      organisations where women who have been abused go for legal advice. It
      has a long record of numerous cases of sexual abuse in work places.

      'There are a lot of cases where women have complained to us that they
      have been abused sexual and some even reaching to the point of being
      made pregnant by their bosses,' said Catherine Munthali, Executive
      Director for SAW.

      She said that though they are a lot of cases that have been reported,
      it has been very difficult to prove the cases in a court of law.

      'It is very difficult to get evidence of sexual abuse cases,' said
      Munthali insisting that since it is difficult to prove such a case in
      the court of law women should not wait until they have sex with their
      bosses to complain.

      'They should take up the case the moment the boss starts making
      advances, because it is their right to have a job. There is no need for
      them to pay back to the boss by sleeping with him,' said Munthali.

      She also said that the major problem the courts face in obtaining a
      conviction is that there is nothing in the laws of Malawi to do with
      sexual harassment.

      'The laws of Malawi only talk about rape. It is only recently that we
      proposed to the Malawi Law Commission to draft a bill on sexual
      harassment,' said Munthali.

      Councillor Threatens to Drag Deputy Minister Lamba to Court

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      June 2, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      Jacob Jimu

      Deputy Minister of Health and Population, Elizabeth Lamba, who is also
      UDF Member of Parliament (MP) for Lilongwe City West, risks court action
      for allegedly making defamatory remarks against a councilor who is
      aspiring to run as an MP in her constituency.

      The UDF Counselor for Chinsapo 2, John Nakanga, told The Chronicle in
      an interview that Lamba held a meeting in his ward on 4 May where she
      alleged that Nakanga had misappropriated K700,000 which he had received
      from MASAF to help a club for Physically Challenged People which he

      Nakanga added that at the same meeting Lamba also alleged that he has
      been abusing donations which companies and organisations have been
      making to his orphanage.

      'All the things she said were total lies because the money I got from
      MASAF was duly distributed to the intended beneficiaries and they can
      testify to this fact,' charged Nakanga.

      On the allegation that he misappropriated donations meant for the
      orphanage, Nakanga said that he has never received any donation for the
      orphanage and that he runs it with his own personal finances.

      'If she is serious that I abused these donations, why then didn't she
      cite the organisations which have been making these donations,' queried
      Nakanga adding, 'these are very serious allegations which have cast
      serious doubts on my integrity. I want her to explain them in the court
      of law.' He said that he has already consulted his lawyers to take up
      the matter with the courts and that he will give them an okay to
      institute legal procedings once he receives a response from top UDF
      officials who were informed about the MP's remarks.

      He said Lamba made the statements in order to tarnish his image because
      she regards him as a threat to her parliamentary seat because she knows
      that he is planning to contest as an MP in her constituency.

      'To prove that she is being driven by jelousy and insecurity, she even
      went to the extent of saying that she has the financial capacity to
      employ and feed me together with my family. How can the whole MP and
      minister sink so low as to say that?' Wondered Nakanga.

      He went on to say that Lamba has been removing people she perceives as
      threats from different constituency positions.

      'All indications are there that Lamba has lost popularity in the
      constituency and people have now turned to me as a viable candidate for
      the constituency,' he said.

      When approached for comment at parliament building, Lamba said that she
      would only comment on the issue when the matter is in court. However,
      she asked this reporter not to write an article on the issue to avoid
      giving Nakanga a platform.

      MASAF officials at the institution's headquarters refused to comment on
      whether they knew of the allegations and whether they had followed up on
      how the donation made to Nakanga were used. They could not substantiate
      whether there was any substance to the accusations levelled at Nakanga
      by Lamba.

      Policemen Cry Foul

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      June 2, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      Thirty Six traffic cops who were recently relocated to general duties
      for being suspected of acquiring vehicles illegally have accused
      Inspector General Joseph Aironi of harbouring grudges against junior
      officers and harassing them.

      The cops have complained through a letter sourced by The Chronicle with
      copies sent to the DPP, the Ombudsman, The Inspector General of Police
      and The Officer-In-Charge of Service Criminal Investigation.

      Part of the letter reads: Last year the Inspector General reverted 144
      traffic police officers that he found them (sic) stealing money at Bunda
      Road Block. But until now the case is still outstanding. When will the
      Inspector General take them to court which can prove them guilty or

      'The Inspector General is always struggling with the juniors especially
      trying the traffic branch in Police service. Should they stop buying
      their goods because of fearing him,' questions the police officers.

      They complain that the IG is segregating in dealing with Police
      officers as he always targets the more junior officers only.

      'Why is it that he targets junior officers only? What about those who
      are leading the branch? Are they exempted from this alleged offence?'
      The cops query.

      According to Daily Times of January 30, Aironi is quoted as saying that
      in an attempt to stamp out the much talked about corruption in the
      service, the Police have started probing officers who have wealth that
      does not match with their positions.

      'I have been quiet for a long time but I have seen that it has become
      very shameful. Corruption in the Police Service is being discussed even
      on radios,' he said adding, 'A constable does not qualify for a vehicle
      loan.' Asked to comment on allegations that he too owns a fleet of
      vehicles and several houses, Aironi denied this saying those were being
      investigated were free to institute investigation on his property or
      report him to the responsible minister for action.

      'I am not scared because I have one vehicle which I got on loan and one
      house. Those relocated officers might be saying a lot of things because
      we have snatched white caps from them and they feel humiliated,' Aironi
      is quoted in Daily Times.

      He said that if it would be discovered that the officers obtained the
      money to purchase the vehicles dubiously, the law would take its

      However the relocated cops complain that since January nothing has been

      'Since January when 36 traffic officers and four prosecutors were
      relocated for acquiring vehicles corruptly and despite the fact that
      some of them were threatened and statements under caution were taken
      from them, we haven't heard the results,' the officers complained.

      Police Public Relations officer George Chikowi said that the Police
      boss thought of relocating the 44 officers because evidence against them
      was not sufficiently overwhelming or conclusive to warrant court

      'But we are still probing the matter and whatever transpires, we will
      let you know,' said Chikowi.

      The Police has stepped up its efforts to stamp out corruption in an
      effort to instill public confidence in the Police Service which
      currently is undergoing reform which is fully funded by the British.

      Malawi Ranked Third On Accidents in Africa

      Malawi Standard (Blantyre)

      June 1, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      George Mhango

      National Road Safety Council of Malawi (NRSCM) says of late the Country
      has been ranked 3rd in Africa in terms of Road traffic Accidents after
      Nigeria and Ethiopia due to careless driving and lack of First-Aid
      Drivers Orientation Programmes.

      "Malawi has only around 200,000 vehicles and out of these, 10 000
      vehicles kill about 200 people in a year while some are admitted in
      hospitals," said Chairperson of National Roads Safety Council of Malawi
      Linda Soko in an interview following First Aid Drivers Orientation
      Programme which has graduated 601 since march this year hosted by the
      Taiwan Medical Mission.

      The chairperson said these accidents have led to a health problem, as a
      lot of patients lying in the Emergency departments in various hospitals
      throughout the country are victims of such scenarios.

      "Unfortunately the situation is aggravated by the fact that 30 percent
      of export for countries in this part of Africa goes to debts repayment
      instead of road construction leaving accidents prevention a compelling
      one," Soko remarked.

      She therefore appeals to civic leaders including councillors and other
      authorities to take a leading role in discouraging the malpractices.

      "If stakeholders could team up creating an accident free environment
      thereby training drivers on first-aid issues and how to drirve carefully
      this health problem in hospitals would be eradicated," queried Soko.

      UNICEF Accuses Police of Being Too Lenient

      The Chronicle Newspaper (Lilongwe)

      June 2, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      Stonald Kuphunda

      Negligence by the people and tendency to treat drivers with leniency
      among the traffic police persons are some of problems that increase road
      accidents that can cause children to lose their lives, UNICEF has said.

      Delegates at the 'UNICEF Road Safety Campaign for the Children' meeting
      held in Lilongwe recently said that a driver cannot avoid an accident
      when a child is crossing the road if the car is driving at a speed in
      excess of 80 kilometres per hour in a built up area.

      They also acknowledged that people are negligent in the control of
      their children as they cross the road. The traffic police personnel as
      well usually condone drivers carelessness and negligence when they have
      breached traffic rules.

      'The traffic police person lets the car which is not in good condition
      to continue travelling on the roads of Malawi instead of removing the
      unroadworthy vehicle and referring it to the Road Safety Council for
      testing. Initially, they tell the drivers of the car that is not in good
      condition to go and sort out the problem at home. Thereafter the
      policeman asks for a token [bribe] for letting the person go,' said
      Hastings Samute from UNICEF.

      He also said many drivers have fake driving licenses obtain from the
      Road Traffic Examiners through the back door, but the traffic police
      persons, knowing this still let the offenders go free as long as they
      give them some small token in the form of money.

      'Many drivers on the roads of Malawi are reckless and have false
      driving licenses. They don't even check whether their cars are
      roadworthy before driving off,' said Samute adding, 'for example one
      even can drive a car that has loose or deflated tyres.' MacPherson
      Mdalla, an official from Lilongwe City Assembly said that drivers ignore
      road signs and some of them do not even know what the signs stand for
      because they lack civic education for the road.

      He said many road signs are continually being vandalised by some people
      yet no one is willing to report it to those responsible to repair the

      'The public has a major role to ensure that the road signs are not
      vandalised by anyone. Whenever one sees anyone taking away the road sign
      he should be reported to the police,' advised Mdalla.

      According to the National Statistics Office every 18 people who die on
      the roads in an accident, one is a child. The Road Safety Campaign for
      Children is a three month program from May to July and is funded by

      Aleke's Contract As a Trustee Ends July

      Malawi Standard (Blantyre)

      June 1, 2003
      Posted to the web June 2, 2003

      By Dickson Kashoti
      Blantyre, Malawi

      First Initial Trustee of Press Trust Aleke Banda's term of office
      expires in July 2003, The Malawi Standard has learnt.

      Emillias Dokali, lawyer representing the Attorney General in a case in
      which Aleke took the AG to court over his purpoted dismissal as a
      trustee said in an interview: " The President is free if he so desires
      to write Aleke Banda withdrawing him from Press Trust. But such
      dismissal would be of very nominal significance because his term of
      office expires this July 2003," said Dokali who is also a Law Lecturer
      at Chancellor College in Zomba.

      High Court Judge, Healey Potani, on May 20, 2003 ordered Aleke Banda's
      lawyer and lawyers for the Attorney General to draw up a consent order
      declaring that Aleke and six others who were reported to have been
      withdrawn by President Muluzi as trustees of Press Trust on April 30 are
      still trustees.

      The ruling follows a challenge in the court by the Attorney General
      after an application by Banda restraining the President from dismissing
      him as a trustee of Press Trust.

      Aleke Banda had asked the court to arrange a date of hearing on which
      he would argue through his lawyers that the President has no powers to
      dismiss him.

      Dokali said there was no document submitted to the court to support the
      assertion that he had been dismissed by the President.

      "He only relied on radio announcement to that effect. Section 90 of the
      Constitution requires that any decision made by the President be in
      writing and signed by him. Despite the absence of that written
      communication, the court nevertheless granted the injunction."

      "Mr (Kalekeni) Kaphale and I were given instructions by the Attorney
      General to challenge the injunction and we did challenge it on the basis
      that in the absence of any written communication as required by Section
      90, Aleke Banda had no basis for applying for an injunction," said

      Dokali said the lawyer for Aleke Banda conceded this point and as a
      result, lawyers from both parties obtained a court order that the
      injunction be dissolved.

      He therefore said there was no decision made by the President to
      dismiss Aleke Banda.

      Section 90 of the Constitution talks about confirmation of decisions of
      the president and it says that decisions of the president shall be
      expressed in writing under his signature.

      Mordecai Msisha, lawyer for Aleke Banda in the case said the cause of
      Aleke's complaint is no longer there.

      "The status quo remains. There's no need for anything to happen," he

      The board which Muluzi dissolved comprised Aleke as First Initial
      Trustee, Second Initial Trustee Christopher Barrow, and other ordinary
      trustees Health Minister Yusuf Mwawa, Bishop Joseph Bvumbwe,
      Presidential Advisor on Education Professor Brown Chimphamba, late
      Kamuzu Banda's grand niece Jane Dzanjalimodzi and international trustee
      Walter Kamba.

      Muluzi's new appointments saw Dzanjalimodzi, Mwawa and Kamba retained
      while Education Minister George Mtafu replaced Aleke, lawyer Shabir
      Latif replaced Barrow and new faces included Admarc general manager
      Evans Chipala and architect Ben Chidyaonga.

      Various commentators questioned the very wisdom of a high court judge
      awarding an injunction in a matter where the complainant did not have
      adequate documents to initiate an injunction.

      "How did the judge grant an injunction when there was no document from
      the President dismissing Aleke? Was this judge not aware of the
      requirement that you can only challenge what is written down? Probably
      the judge has an axe to grind against the President following that
      impeachment case"; queried Mussa Wa Kadalikanga of Zingwangwa township.

      Zimbabwe govt crushes protests
      02 June 2003 11:17
      Authorities arrested Zimbabwe's opposition leader on Monday and fired
      tear gas on student protesters, vowing to crush the launch of
      anti-government demonstrations the opposition hopes will mark the most
      significant challenge yet to President Robert Mugabe's decades long

      Morgan Tsvangirai, leader of the opposition Movement for Democratic
      Change was arrested at his home on Monday, charged with contempt of
      court for planning an illegal demonstration, said Innocent Chagonda, his

      Police had come several hours before, around midnight, but left when
      they found Tsvangirai was not at home.

      Tsvangirai, a former trade union leader, has become increasingly
      defiant in his calls for the people of Zimbabwe to rise up against
      Mugabe and his policies which the opposition blames for sinking the
      country into economic and political disarray.

      This week has been called as a week of strikes and protest against the

      Riot police fired tear gas at hundreds of students at Zimbabwe
      University as they tried to march from campus to downtown Harare.

      The students were driven back by the clouds of tear gas. Tear gas was
      also fired on a group that gathered on the street in the Harare township
      of Budiriro.

      In another Harare township called Mabvuku army trucks packed with
      soldiers patrolled overnight. Riot police in helmets and bearing clubs
      stood watch in downtown Harare.

      Tsvangirai appeared in court on Monday where he is standing trial for
      treason. The state says he was part of a plot to assassinate Mugabe,
      charges he and his fellow accused -- two senior opposition officials --

      "I'm in no position to comment," Tsvangirai told reporters of his
      arrest as he was hurried into court by two plainclothes detectives.

      One of his fellow accused, party secretary-general Welshman Ncube said
      police had also tried to arrest him overnight. He was not at home, but
      police assaulted his staff, he said.

      "They beat my workers, there are broken bones," he said.

      Of the launch of this week's actions against the government, he said,
      "it is tough and it is very tense."

      As part of their crackdown against demonstrations, police-manned
      roadblocks were set up along all the main roads leading into the
      capital, Harare and military helicopters swooped over the western city
      of Bulawayo. Both cities are considered opposition strongholds.

      In Bulawayo, two lawmakers were arrested, also accused of planning an
      illegal demonstration, opposition officials said.

      Over the weekend the High Court declared the demonstrations illegal,
      but the opposition planned on filing an appeal against the ruling at the
      Supreme Court on Monday.

      In Harare it appeared the strike was taking hold, with most shops,
      banks, and factories closed. Traffic was light, and only few commuter
      busses were running.

      Opposition officials said they were planning for street demonstrations
      later in the day.

      State television, in its nightly news on Sunday, said planned
      demonstrations and strikes would be "met with the full wrath of the

      It said ruling party youths loyal to the government would break up
      opposition street demonstrations and quoted Defence Minister Sidney
      Sekeramayi as saying "enough measures" were being taken to stop
      anti-government unrest.

      "Our soil is very sacrosanct. We shall not allow it to be recolonized,"
      Sekeramayi told the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation.

      The government has repeatedly accused Britain, the former colonial
      ruler, of funding the Movement for Democratic Change and
      opposition-backed labor unions to mount a campaign to oust Mugabe.

      The television station showed footage of troops and riot police being
      deployed in Harare and file footage of tear gas being fired on
      demonstrators in previous protests.

      Government vehicles sped through Harare late on Sunday throwing out
      printed fliers urging Zimbabweans to ignore opposition calls for the
      protests, saying: "No to mass action. No to British puppets. - Sapa-AP

      From TV evangelist to Zambia's vice president
      By Penny Dale
      BBC, Lusaka, Zambia

      Never in the history of Zambian politics has someone's rise to power
      been so meteoric as that of Nevers Mumba.

      Almost overnight, Mr Mumba has moved from being an unimpressive
      opposition leader to holding the country's second most prestigious
      political job.

      But who is he?

      He is perceived as a man who is driven as much by his deep religious
      conviction as his boundless ambition.

      The 42-year-old Mumba was born in the north of Zambia in Chinsali,
      reputed to be the true heartland of the Bemba people.

      He is married to Florence, who apparently after the fifth child,
      stopped Mumba from fulfilling his desire for siring 12 children.

      His mother is one of the sisters of Kenneth Kaunda, Zambia's first

      Mumba greatly admires Mr Kaunda, but unlike the former president, Mumba
      is better known as a preacher than a politician.

      The founder of the well-known Victory Ministries, he made his name as a
      fiery TV evangelist.

      He studied theology in the United States and for close to two decades
      he has pulled in huge crowds, preaching with eloquence a message of hope
      and dignity through Christ.

      He is well known not just in Zambia but also in Namibia, Uganda, South
      Africa, Canada and the US.

      In his own words, he heard God telling him to save Zambia through the
      ballot box.

      His vision is to cleanse the country of corruption and improve the
      living standards of ordinary Zambians.

      Mr Mumba says he is guided by the message of the the scriptures that
      say when the righteous rule, people rejoice.

      I first met him five or so years ago, when he was putting the final
      touches to his transformation from priest to politician.

      At the time he was doing the African media rounds in London, promoting
      his National Citizens Coalition party.

      He struck me as charismatic and extremely well-dressed in stylish
      clothes and the phrase 'salvation through prosperity' unkindly popped
      into my mind.

      He did not strike me as a political animal.

      He is intelligent and highly articulate but his silver tongue and his
      other charming qualities were not enough when he stood for president in
      Zambia's 2001 elections.

      Out of the 11 candidates, Mumba's was one of the more spectacular
      flops, when he polled only 2% of the vote.

      According to his biography, Mumba loves boxing - a peculiar taste for a
      preacher - but perhaps less so for a politician who very often displays
      the flamboyant aggression of a boxer.

      [and this is just...weird]

      Theme park offers the thrill of... brick-making

      The latest theme park in the US state of Georgia is not aimed at the
      usual holidaying hedonists.

      Instead of rollercoasters and fast food, the most the Global Village &
      Discovery Center can offer is "brick and tile making, as well as other
      fun activities".

      And it may be the only theme park in the world whose facilities are
      deliberately built to look shabby and squalid, rather than getting that
      way by accident.

      But the Global Village, which opens on 7 June, has a serious point to

      Backed by Habitat for Humanity, a Christian charity, it aims to teach
      wealthy Americans how the world's poor really live.

      Building excitement

      The main theme of the Global Village is housing; Habitat for Humanity
      specialises in providing low-cost houses in developing countries.

      Its centrepiece is a painstakingly recreated slum, reflecting poor
      housing from Africa, Asia and Central America.

      Visitors will be encouraged to help build new houses for the village,
      to purchase and inscribe their own personal brick, or to sign up for
      volunteer work overseas.

      Despite the lack of overt excitement, Millard Fuller, the founder of
      Habitat for Humanity, expects the Global Village to attract up to 70,000
      tourists in its first year.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)