Be present

  • Vyrle Owens
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2003

      Dear all,

      I had an occasion to meet a person (Ken Sehested) two weeks ago who had just returned from Baghdad after a three week stay.  He had a very interesting report, far too lengthy to repeat.  The jist:  Life was reasonably normal at the time he was there, hospitality was good, even for American peace activists (or maybe especially for American peace activists) but a very real anxiety about possible attack.

      The below crossed my screen earlier in the week.  Transcends the rhetoric.

      I trust some of you will appreciate it,

      Vyrle

> [...]

      >eve of war. 5 million people call Baghdad home. 24 million human

      >beings live in Iraq . Instead, ask the politicians - on every side -

      >where they find the nerve to put so many human beings at such

      >terrible risk.

      >We're here for these people, as we're here for the American people.

      >The violence George Bush starts in Iraq will not stop in Iraq . The

      >senseless brutality of this war signals future crimes of still

      >greater inhumanity. If we risk nothing to prevent this, it will

      >happen. If we would have peace, we must work as hard, and risk as

      >much, as the warmakers do for destruction.

      >Pacifism isn't passive. It's a radical challenge to all aspects of

      >worldly power. Nonviolence can prevent catastrophe. Nonviolence

      >multiplies opportunities a thousand-fold, until seemingly

      >insignificant events converge to tumble the tyranny of fears that

      >violence plants within our hearts. Where violence denies freedom,

      >destroys community, restricts choices - we must be present:

      >cultivating our love, our active love, for our entire family of

      >humanity.

      >We are daily visiting with families here in Iraq . We are daily

      >visiting hospitals here in Iraq , and doing arts and crafts with the

      >children. We are visiting elementary schools, and high schools. We

      >are fostering community. We are furthering connections. We are

      >creating space for peace.

      >We are not "human shields." We are not here simply in opposition to

      >war. We are a dynamic, living presence - our own, small affirmation

      >of the joy of being alive. Slowly stumbling, joyous and triumphant,

      >full of all the doubts and failings all people hold in common - our

      >presence here is a thundering, gentle call, to Americans as to

      >Iraqis, of the affirmation of life.

      >We must not concede war to the killers. War is not liberation. It is

      >not peace. War is devastation and death.

      >Thuraya, a brilliant, young girl whom I've come to love, recently

      >wrote in her diary:

      >"We don't know what is going to happen. We might die, and maybe we

      >are living our last days in life. I hope that everyone who reads my

      >diary remembers me and knows that there was an Iraqi girl who had

      >many dreams in her life..."

      >Dream with us of a world where we do not let violence rule our

      >lives. Work with us for a world where violence does not rule our

      >lives. Peace is not an abstract concept. We are a concrete, tangible

      >reality. We the peoples of our common world, through the

      >relationships we build with each other, and the risks we take for

      >one another - we are peace.

      >Our team here doesn't know what is going to happen any more than

      >does Thuraya. We too may die. But in her name, in this moment, at

      >the intersection of all our lives, we send you this simple message:

      >We are peace, and we are present.

      >Ramzi Kysia is a Arab American peace activist and writer. He is

      www.iraqpeaceteam.org

      ), a project to keep

      info@...