Regarding the Geneva Convention and Gitmo...

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2003
      Actually, I chose this very topic for a speech I had to give to our training
      class when I was learning to be a diplomat...

      Here is what I came up with (I think, it was over a year ago):

      1. Many of these guys were caught in plainclothes, armed and ready to fight.
      According to the Geneva Conventions, a soldier has to be plainly
      identified, with insignias, or s/he is fair game.

      2. They were fighting in civilian areas, among the populace, using the
      populace to protect them from fire from "real soldiers" who obey the
      conventions.

      3. Until they set foot in the US, they are not eligible for recourse in our
      court systems, i.e. they do not get due process, or need to see the evidence
      against them.

      There were a few more points, but I do not exactly remember them. I will
      locate the video they amde, and send in the others if there is
      interest...otherwise, I will just send in the story about the trip ot the
      cockfights...