[Fwd: Fw: US War Crimes]

  • Kristen E Cheney
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2003

      A good article from the Guardian, especially in light of Ari Fleischer's refusal to address Helen Thomas's question about the Geneva Convention and Guantanamo Bay in yesterday's press conference...

      Beth :-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2003

        Dear all,

        I had an occasion to meet a person (Ken Sehested) two weeks ago who had just returned from Baghdad after a three week stay.  He had a very interesting report, far too lengthy to repeat.  The jist:  Life was reasonably normal at the time he was there, hospitality was good, even for American peace activists (or maybe especially for American peace activists) but a very real anxiety about possible attack.

        The below crossed my screen earlier in the week.  Transcends the rhetoric.

        I trust some of you will appreciate it,

        Vyrle

> [...]

        >eve of war. 5 million people call Baghdad home. 24 million human

        >beings live in Iraq . Instead, ask the politicians - on every side -

        >where they find the nerve to put so many human beings at such

        >terrible risk.

        >We're here for these people, as we're here for the American people.

        >The violence George Bush starts in Iraq will not stop in Iraq . The

        >senseless brutality of this war signals future crimes of still

        >greater inhumanity. If we risk nothing to prevent this, it will

        >happen. If we would have peace, we must work as hard, and risk as

        >much, as the warmakers do for destruction.

        >Pacifism isn't passive. It's a radical challenge to all aspects of

        >worldly power. Nonviolence can prevent catastrophe. Nonviolence

        >multiplies opportunities a thousand-fold, until seemingly

        >insignificant events converge to tumble the tyranny of fears that

        >violence plants within our hearts. Where violence denies freedom,

        >destroys community, restricts choices - we must be present:

        >cultivating our love, our active love, for our entire family of

        >humanity.

        >We are daily visiting with families here in Iraq . We are daily

        >visiting hospitals here in Iraq , and doing arts and crafts with the

        >children. We are visiting elementary schools, and high schools. We

        >are fostering community. We are furthering connections. We are

        >creating space for peace.

        >We are not "human shields." We are not here simply in opposition to

        >war. We are a dynamic, living presence - our own, small affirmation

        >of the joy of being alive. Slowly stumbling, joyous and triumphant,

        >full of all the doubts and failings all people hold in common - our

        >presence here is a thundering, gentle call, to Americans as to

        >Iraqis, of the affirmation of life.

        >We must not concede war to the killers. War is not liberation. It is

        >not peace. War is devastation and death.

        >Thuraya, a brilliant, young girl whom I've come to love, recently

        >wrote in her diary:

        >"We don't know what is going to happen. We might die, and maybe we

        >are living our last days in life. I hope that everyone who reads my

        >diary remembers me and knows that there was an Iraqi girl who had

        >many dreams in her life..."

        >Dream with us of a world where we do not let violence rule our

        >lives. Work with us for a world where violence does not rule our

        >lives. Peace is not an abstract concept. We are a concrete, tangible

        >reality. We the peoples of our common world, through the

        >relationships we build with each other, and the risks we take for

        >one another - we are peace.

        >Our team here doesn't know what is going to happen any more than

        >does Thuraya. We too may die. But in her name, in this moment, at

        >the intersection of all our lives, we send you this simple message:

        >We are peace, and we are present.

        >Ramzi Kysia is a Arab American peace activist and writer. He is

        www.iraqpeaceteam.org

        ), a project to keep

        info@...