    Message 1 of 1046 , Mar 24, 2003
      Diary of an aid worker

      By Anita Payne

      Tearfund aid worker Anita Payne writes about her
      in Malawi as she works with local churches assisting
      people in
      the grip of a major drought.

      I think I must be back in biblical times. I've just
      passed a small boy, in
      a shapeless brown garment, on the roadside, with his
      small herd of

      He was casting a stone beyond the
      straying goats to bring them back
      within closer range.

      He was all of six years of age. No
      schooling for him or the many other
      young boys herding goats and cattle
      throughout Malawi.

      I'm driving south again to see how
      the relief work is progressing in
      Chikwawa, Southern Malawi.

      We pass over a battered but defiant
      bridge. The floods have devastated the river banks and
      almost washed
      away the road but the bridge stands untouched.

      We rumble carefully over the centre part of the road
      giving the
      crumbling earth edge a wide berth.

      Harvest looms

      We pass lots of healthy maize - promise of a better
      harvest than last

      However, here and there, are pockets of stunted yellow
      leaves, only
      inches high - and we're fast approaching what should
      have been harvest

      Other patches of maize stand tall but
      are completely dried and withered.

      My urban lifestyle in England is so
      removed from the agricultural cycle
      I find it hard to imagine the
      overwhelming distress by the
      farmers as they survey these
      withered stalks.

      What must it be like - with a young
      family to care for - to have no other
      resources - and the next harvest is a
      year away?

      I love this drive along the Malawi/Mozambique border.
      There are no
      fences or ditches, just Malawi on one side of the road
      and Mozambique
      on the other.

      I was here 13 years ago when over one million
      Mozambicans simply
      crossed the road, fleeing the bombing, plundering,
      machetes and guns,
      to safety.

      The left hand side of the road was crammed with mud
      houses, cheek by
      jowl, whilst the right hand side lay eerily empty with
      the occasional
      bombed and shattered building.

      We pass, today, the same crumbling ruins on the
      Mozambican side, the
      faint ' Vote Chissano' fading in the sun.

      The acacia trees are pushing up through fallen walls
      but not far away
      whole villages have reappeared, maize is waving in the
      fields and all is
      quiet. Yes, there is always hope.

      The windowless room is nine feet square and pitch

      The ceiling fan has stopped, its hot and sticky and we
      can sense each
      other's presence rather than actually see each other.

      Yes, I'm back in Africa.

      I have returned to Malawi following a
      health check-up in the UK.

      And it is good to be back.

      The electricity has been coming and
      going since lunchtime but now it has
      finally given up trying and here we
      are, Charles, Wezi and I, trying to
      review the food relief programme
      we're operating in Malawi.

      I'm listening to their latest news.

      One of our partner agencies lost a key field officer
      just before they were
      due to start their January food distributions.

      "What did you do?" I ask.

      "We helped them cover the whole district, what else
      could we do?"

      I realise that this meant more than a tenfold increase
      in their workload!

      Samson, James and Andrew and our local church teams
      were only
      expecting to be in the villages for a few days in

      They ended up sleeping out in the rural areas for more
      than three
      weeks, waiting for the trucks to get across the broken
      down bridges and
      through the flooded dirt roads.

      Dingi, Lloyd and Limbi arrived back in the office,
      this morning, from the

      They've been out of contact for two weeks (cell phones
      waiting for the last trucks to arrive in Khosolo.

      We've been anxious, praying that all was OK.

      They look tired and exhausted, but quietly satisfied
      that every
      beneficiary finally got their bags of food.

      They could all do with a couple of days' rest but
      we'll all be back on the
      road next week in Chikwawa, starting all over again
      for the March food

      The black-out continues, the screen of my laptop
      providing a faint glow
      by which we look at the statistics and make our plans.

      Will our vehicles survive this taxing schedule?
      Will our teams?

      Machinjira comes in, stumbling in the dark,
      with a welcome tray of cups of hot tea. We
      shuffle our cups around.

      The laptop battery gives out and we are in
      total darkness.

      On my return I discovered that the land is

      An oasis of green was the welcoming sight as
      our plane touched down last Sunday at
      Lilongwe airport.

      Some maize is still small and stunted - farmers who
      can't afford
      fertiliser, but some fields are head high. Will it be

      Only time will tell, but at least it's more hopeful
      than last year.

      Another hopeful sign is the workshop two days ago.

      Several Malawian churches, from different
      denominations have put
      aside their differences.

      We've begun planning joint development projects over
      the next few
      years, aiming to share our technical expertise and
      work together among
      our communities. Co-operation rather than competition.

      n, its hot and sticky and we can sense
      Yes, there's definitely some good news since I got

      I've just unpacked my photos of home and stuck them on
      the wall.
      There's one of the family, out walking on the
      mountains together,
      catching up on each other's news over the New Year.

      Yes, I'm missing them and our new home among the

      Only last week I stood on Todd Crag, my boots just
      edged with snow,
      my face glowing with the cold. Now, my blouse is
      sticking to my back,
      even though night has fallen.

      The BBC World Service is keeping me company, but I
      reckon it's time
      for bed!

      Mugabe critics spurred on by strike
      20 March
      2003 09:43

      After a two-day anti-government strike, Zimbabwe's
      Movement for
      Democratic Change yesterday vowed to escalate "mass
      action" to force
      President Mugabe's government to reform or leave

      The national strike was the biggest protest for
      more than two years against
      Robert Mugabe's 23-year rule, shuttng factories,
      shops, banks and other
      businesses in protest at alleged human rights
      abuses and the economic

      More than 400 opposition figures, including a
      member of parliament, were
      arrested over the two days, said civic groups.
      Police would not confirm the
      number of arrests, but said that "mysterious
      explosions" near the city of
      Kadoma had damaged a supermarket, three shops, a
      bar and a bridge.

      "Thirty-three people were arrested in Kadoma,
      including Austin
      Mupandawana, the MDC member of parliament," the
      police said.

      Re-invigorated by the strike, the opposition MDC
      issued the Mugabe
      government with a list of 15 demands to restore
      democratic rights by March
      31 or face "popular mass action to regain the
      people's liberties, freedoms
      and dignity".

      Critics accuse Mr Mugabe's regime of human rights
      abuses, rigging his
      re-election, and causing mass hunger by seizing the
      white minority's farms.
      Two-thirds of Zimbabwe's 12 million people are
      threatened with starvation,
      according to government figures.

      "Over the past two days the people of Zimbabwe in
      their millions bravely
      demonstrated that they are no longer willing to
      live under tyranny and
      poverty," said Paul Themba Nyathi, an MDC
      spokesman. "The violence, the
      torture, murder and all other brutalities can no
      longer stop the people's
      desire to be free."

      Morgan Tsvangirai, the MDC president, now standing
      trial for treason,
      thanked the people for backing the call for a
      strike: "You have demon
      strated beyond any doubt to the regime that we, the
      people of Zimbabwe,
      have no fear and will take concrete steps to
      reclaim our power.

      "This regime is nervous. Their bags are now packed
      as they realise who has
      the power. We have to prepare for the final push
      and they will run ... We
      should prepare for the final onslaught for a
      people's victory."

      Brian Raftopoulos, chairman of the Crisis in
      Zimbabwe Coalition, said civic
      groups fully supported the demand for the Mugabe
      government to step

      The Commonwealth, meanwhile, has extended
      Zimbabwe's year-long
      suspension until December when the 54-nation group
      meets in Nigeria. The
      suspension, due to have expired yesterday,
      highlights Mr Mugabe's failure
      to split the Commonwealth on race lines. - Guardian
      Unlimited © Guardian
      Newspapers Limited 2003

      Mugabe angered by strike

      President Robert Mugabe has
      accused Western nations of
      sponsoring violence and
      terrorism in Zimbabwe.

      In his first public comments since
      this week's two-day strike called by
      the opposition Movement for
      Democractic Change, Mr Mugabe
      said he had instructed the security
      forces to react promptly and
      vigorously to any unrest.

      His comments came as a Zimbabwean police officer said
      he had
      received reports of a bomb attack on a ruling party
      office in the town of
      Chinhoyi. He gave no futher details.

      The strike on Tuesday and Wednesday was widely
      observed, but led to
      some violent incidents and many arrests.

      The MDC organised the stay-away as a protest against
      what it described
      as Mr Mugabe's oppressive rule. They say some 200
      supporters, including MPs and journalists, have been

      Abductions and death

      "The money used to organise the pretended stayaway, to
      pay our
      youths to self-destruct, to turn them into career
      purveyors of violence,
      came from the so-called democracies of the West," Mr
      Mugabe said at a
      funeral of one of his ministers.

      "It came from Britain, from the
      United States of America, from
      Holland and Germany through their
      ostensibly humanitarian or civic

      "All these nations were united in
      sponsoring violence here," he added.

      The opposition are already
      complaining of reprisals since the
      strike, including beatings,
      abductions, night raids and the death
      of one of their supporters by
      government security agents.

      A statement named the deceased as Steven Tonera, an
      employee of
      MDC MP Roy Bennett.

      It said he was accused of training MDC soldiers and
      burning a bus
      during the two-day strike.

      South Africa protest

      Meanwhile, the French News Agency, AFP has reported
      that a group
      known as Zimbabweans in exile. linked to the MDC, on
      Friday organised
      a an anti-Mugabe protest in South Africa.

      The agency said some 700 protesters in Sandton, a
      Johannesburg suburb, wore black arm-bands and carried
      coffins to
      symbolise the death of democracy in Zimbabwe.

      The demonstrators were also out to protest at South
      Africa's "quiet
      diplomacy" toward Mr Mugabe.

      "Africa, wake up", "Zimbabwe is dying" and "Mugabe, go
      now", were
      some of the slogans on the placards.

      Zimbabwe, once a regional breadbasket, now has
      unemployment, long fuel and bread queues and inflation
      of more than

      'Brutal' Zimbabwe crackdown

      Opposition groups in Zimbabwe
      say that government security
      forces have arrested and
      beaten hundreds of people
      following last week's widely
      observed general strike.

      Amnesty International says that up
      to 500 people have been detained in
      "a new and dangerous phase of

      President Robert Mugabe has
      promised "greater action" against the opposition
      Movement for
      Democratic Change.

      The BBC's Barnaby Philips in Johannesburg says that
      all the evidence
      points to a new crackdown of unprecedented brutality.

      'Children assaulted'

      A doctor working in a hospital in Harare said more
      than 250 people have
      been treated there after being beaten by the security
      forces; many had
      broken fingers or toes, some had broken legs.

      Two women described how men in military uniforms
      stripped them, beat
      them, and used guns to sexually abuse them.

      The MDC says that children of opposition activists
      have been assaulted.

      Lawyer and director of the publishers
      of the Daily News Gugulethu Moyo
      says she was beaten by five men in
      Harare central police station after
      going there to enquire about a Daily
      News photographer who had been

      "The cells were so full I had to stand,
      which was okay because my
      backside was so bruised I could not
      lie down," she said.

      Zimbabwean police spokesmen
      Bothwell Mugariri said about 400 opposition members
      have been
      arrested since last week's strike.

      He said many had been charged with malicious injury to

      During the strike, stones were thrown at passing cars
      and a bus was set
      on fire.

      The police also say that the offices of the ruling
      Zanu-PF party were set
      on fire in Chinhoyi, north of Harare, while explosives
      were found in the
      central town of Kadoma.

      Zimbabwean human rights activist Tony Reeler says the
      attacks are
      focused on the MDC's local leadership.

      Following the strike, the MDC gave
      Mr Mugabe until 31 March to agree to
      15 demands including ending torture
      and depoliticising the police force or
      face further "popular mass action".

      Tension is rising in the capital,
      Harare, ahead of two by-elections
      this weekend in seats the MDC won
      easily in June 2000 elections.
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)