    Message 1 of 1046 , Mar 18, 2003
      Kamuzu Banda Returns in Exciting Novel

      Malawi Standard (Blantyre)
      March 15, 2003
      Posted to the web March 17, 2003

      Oscar Nkala
      Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

      WHEN Kamuzu Banda, the late President of Malawi, died people believed
      was gone forever.

      Those who knew about his despotic rule will remember the spectacular
      gyrating of his popular Mbumba Women's League whenever he returned
      home from business and personal visits.

      Well, the Ngwazi is back and alive this time in Zimbabwe in an exciting
      by Wim Bonswinkel.

      The novel, Erina, is set to be launched by a Bulawayo publishing
      Amabooks at the Zimbabwe International Book Fair Bulawayo exhibition to
      held at the Large City Hall between 13 and 15 March.

      The book, which discusses development aid, governance, and
      between races, among other subjects, is set in Malawi during the Ngwazi

      The story is centred on a romantic relationship between Erina and
      Johan, a
      man who comes to Africa to manage a tea plantation.

      The story takes a leap into the unknown, cleverly blending an African
      with the fantastic premise at its core: the arrival of a black female

      Brian Jones, the director of Amabooks, says the book is of relevance
      Zimbabwe and Africa as a whole.

      Boswinkel, the author of the book, settled in Bulawayo in 1988 after
      in a number of countries since leaving Holland in 1970.

      He has been involved in farming, development work, conservation and

      According to John Eppel, another author of two books from Amabooks
      publishing house, "the book will shock those who deserve to be shocked
      delight those who deserve to be delighted". (Source Zimbabwe Daily
      News) -
      0- Malawi Standard

      Bakili Muluzi Institute Offers Leadership Courses

      Malawi Standard (Blantyre)
      March 15, 2003
      Posted to the web March 17, 2003

      By Standard Reporter

      Malawi President Dr Bakili Muluzi has demonstrated his personal
      to the task of building capacity in Malawi by initiating the
      establishment of the
      Bakili Muluzi Institute For Social and Economic Transformation.

      The establishment of the Institute comes in the heels of the birth of
      African Union, whose recent Durban Declaration requires a political
      commitment to the task of capacity building in vital sectors of
      economies. Although, the Institute is currently in its formative stage,
      it has
      started already to bear sweet fruits from which many Malawians will
      This is done through various leadership courses the Institute is

      One may ask what are the principles, aims, objectives and development
      plans for the much publicised prestigious Bakili Muluzi Institute for
      Social and
      Economic Transformation.

      The vision of the Founder, Dr. Bakili Muluzi, is to free Malawi from
      bondage of poverty and transform it into a well governed and
      country. This vision can be achieved through a strategy focused on
      building. Freeing the people of Malawi from the bondage of poverty
      start from unleashing human potential. Thus, the philosophy of the BMI
      be to help people take greater responsibility towards their own
      enhancement, and the subsequent development of others. BMI will have
      abiding commitment to helping others help themselves along the path to
      sustained development.

      The overall mission of the BMI is to build capacity for the efficient
      and management of public and private sectors and in civil society. The
      Institute will develop and deliver high quality, relevant, practical,
      demand-driven and effective research and training programs and

      The Institute will promote excellence in training, research, and policy
      and facilitate the translation of knowledge into practice. BMI will
      ensure that
      the effects of specialized training, innovative research, reflection,
      and public debate ripple throughout the nation and Continent to improve
      human condition. It will be home for the pursuit of knowledge and the
      enhancement of professional and technical skills to address major
      capacity deficiencies.

      The institute will mobilize unique expertise, pursue new avenues,
      collaborative relationships, conduct workshops and promote best
      in capacity building and research.

      The main goal of the BMI is to prepare potential leaders and managers
      development challenges. BMI will seek to help shape leaders and
      to possess the commitment, knowledge and capability to influence the
      framework within which they operate.

      Additionally, BMI will assist Malawi and other African countries
      directly to; the lack of capacity in economic and social policy
      analysis; low
      capacity to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate development
      programmes; weak understanding of policy options, strategies, and
      development management issues by policy makers; and weak capacity for
      economic and financial management.

      To address the capacity needs of the private sector, the Institute will
      set out
      to build capacity for income generation, small business development,
      employment, and workforce development. The aim will be to nurture and
      support the initiation, growth, and success of small and medium

      A strong education and training system is essential for sustainable
      building. Therefore the Institute will provide a forum for discussing
      educational improvement ideas. The Institute will bring stakeholders
      to identify and resolve diverse problems that currently weaken

      BMI intends to make a national and global contribution to knowledge
      acquisition and transmission through the provision of an international
      conference center. BMI will host major international conferences and
      symposiums, thus improving the circulation and sharing of knowledge on
      social and economic transformation.

      The objectives of the Bakili Muluzi Institute for Social and Economic
      Transformation are: (a) To conduct specialized training, short
      distance education programmes, innovative research, reflection, public
      debate, national and international conferences, and workshops in
      development areas.

      (b) To facilitate the enhancement of technical, analytical, and
      skills to address specific human and institutional capacity gaps.

      (c) To facilitate the translation of knowledge into practice and reduce
      by doing the following: (i) Awakening the human potential to strive

      (ii) Increasing income and self employment opportunities.

      (iii) Improving health and HIV/AIDS awareness and interventions.

      (iv) Enhancing the quality of education.

      (v) Improving public policy formulation, implementation, monitoring,

      (d) To establish an International Conference Centre for Social and

      (e) To champion leadership development within the SADC Region.

      (f) To form linkages, twinning arrangements, collaborations, and
      partnerships with other institutes world wide.

      and management of
      The overall focus of the Bakili Muluzi Institute will be on
      particularly in areas where huge institutional and human capacity gaps
      which include leadership, entrepreneurship, policy analysis, and

      The Institute will be organized into four major centres, namely: *
      Centre for
      Leadership Development * Centre for Entrepreneurship and Productivity
      Centre for Policy Analysis and Research * Centre for Excellence in
      Education * Centre for Leadership Development

      Excellence will be the foundation of all research and training
      endeavors at
      BMI. The Institute will promote excellence as a fundamental goal both
      at the
      individual and institutional levels. This will be achieved by
      excellence within the context of the goals of the Institute, which will
      be guided
      by a strong commitment to producing novel outcomes, services, and

      Inclusiveness at the Bakili Muluzi Institute will mean drawing together
      makers, practitioners, community, political, and civic leaders,
      and large business owners, intellectuals, and professionals to
      participate in
      shaping the future of Malawi and Africa. The activities of the
      Institute will
      include group efforts and larger team-driven projects focusing on
      goals and priorities.

      The Institute will play a critical role in integrating individuals from
      countries, disciplines, and organizations to build partnerships in
      order to
      achieve shared goals. Collaborations will be established between the
      Institute and government agencies, international organizations, local
      Regional institutions. Building partnerships with existing institutions
      will be an
      important priority for BMI.

      The Institute will demonstrate flexibility by responding to the
      changing needs
      of the environment. Thus, mechanisms will be put in place for changing
      focus of the centers and creating new centers as new needs and demands
      arise. The Institute will ensure that it responds rapidly to important
      socioeconomic problems and pressing national and Regional concerns.

      The Institute will open its doors to visiting researchers, scholars,
      participants from Africa and the larger global community. It shall
      aspire to be
      identified as a center of specialization for leadership training within
      Region. It will accommodate visits by distinguished scholars for
      research, and to deliver public lectures. The Institute will host
      and Regional conferences.

      The Institute will form linkages and twinning arrangements with other
      research and training institutes worldwide. It will foster strong ties
      with similar
      institutes, particularly in East and Southern Africa.

      Additionally, each centre will form partnerships and linkages with
      international institutions, to conduct collaborative training and
      exchange research fellows and tutors, and share resources.

      So far two linkages have already been established between the BMI and
      Global Leadership Development Foundation (GLDF) based in South Africa,
      and the World Institute of Leadership and Management in Africa (WILMA)
      based in the U.S.A.

      Strike shuts Zimbabwe cities

      Most factories and shops in
      Zimbabwe have closed in
      response to an
      opposition-called strike.

      However some government offices
      and banks remain open, reports
      Reuters news agency.

      The BBC's Lewis Machipisa in Harare
      says that the army has been
      deployed following some violence in
      the Harare suburb of Epworth.

      Correspondents say this is the most successful
      anti-government strike
      since President Robert Mugabe's controversial
      re-election a year ago.

      It was called by the Movement for Democratic Change,
      whose leader
      Morgan Tsvangirai has been accused by some party
      activists of not
      doing enough to make life difficult for Mr Mugabe.

      Our correspondent says he has seen a bus and a bread
      van set on fire,
      while youths are throwing stones at any cars which are
      on the streets.

      Police have also fired tear gas to
      disperse protesters from a bus
      station in the eastern suburb of
      Mabvuku, the Associated Press news

      The BBC's Themba Nkosi in the
      second city, Bulawayo, says there have been clashes
      between MDC
      activists and government supporters in the suburb of

      He says that most shops and factories are closed,
      while there is a heavy
      police presence.

      The authorities have declared the strike illegal under
      tough new security
      laws and say they will deal strongly with any

      "The police will meet them head-on. We will be very
      ruthless with them,
      but within the limits of the law," police Inspector
      Andrew Phiri told state

      "There are major roadblocks on all roads going to and
      leading out of
      town," our correspondent says.

      Many of those who want to work are unable to do so
      because public
      transport is not running.

      The MDC has called on people to stay at home on
      Tuesday and
      Wednesday and not to demonstrate in order to avoid any

      "The reports we have so far is that there is an 80%
      shutdown around
      the country," said MDC spokesman Paul Themba Nyathi.

      "People are sick and tired of this
      regime and this is their message."

      The strike is being supported by the
      unions and other civic groups.

      Zimbabwe is hit by shortages of
      everything from food and fuel to
      cotton wool.

      Inflation is running at more than
      200% and many factories have
      closed down, leading to massive

      Half of the population, some seven million people need
      food aid.

      Mr Mugabe blames the problems on sabotage by foreign
      opposed to his land reform programme.

      Mugabe's youth militias 'rape captives'

      18 March
      2003 07:18

      Rape is being used as a political weapon by the
      youth militia and other
      groups allied to Zimbabwe's ruling party, according
      to human rights workers
      and church groups. Investigations by the Guardian
      reveal allegations of
      politically motivated rape against opposition

      According to victims' testimony, President Robert
      Mugabe's militia are also
      forcing young women to be their concubines with

      Zimbabwe's human rights forum reports seven cases
      of politically motivated
      rape in 2002, alongside 58 murders and 1 061 cases
      of torture. But the
      reported rapes, verified by medical examinations
      and interviews, are just the
      tip of the iceberg, human rights workers say.

      "There is a serious problem of political rape in
      Zimbabwe. The documented
      cases are low, but there is considerable stigma and
      fear about reporting
      rape," said Tony Reeler, human rights defender for
      the Institute for
      Democratic Alternatives for Southern Africa. "From
      enormous anecdotal
      evidence we know the number is much higher.

      "The victims are mostly young females, relatively
      uneducated, poor, rural,
      the most vulnerable members of society. Many
      urgently require
      antiretrovirals for HIV infection."

      The trauma of rape is evident in the dull gaze of
      Sithulisiwe (21). For eight
      months she was held captive at a "youth camp" for
      President Mugabe's
      ruling Zanu-PF party, where, she says, she was
      repeatedly gang raped and
      tortured. She said she was abducted in December
      2001 and marched to a
      camp in a Bulawayo suburb.

      "It was surrounded by security guards so we could
      not get out," she said.
      "There were hundreds of us. We were fed horse meat
      and rotten food. They
      woke us up at 3am and we had to run 20 kilometres.
      Then we had to do 200
      press ups and other exercises. If anyone failed to
      do so, they were beaten.
      We had to chant slogans and sing Zanu-PF songs.

      "They taught us the history of our country,
      starting from colonial slavery, and
      they told us we should hate whites. We slept in
      large rooms, the men and
      women together. We were raped by the boys. I can't
      even count how many
      times by how many different men. If we complained
      to the camp
      commander, we were beaten and they would call us
      sell-outs to the MDC
      [the opposition Movement for Democratic Change]."

      Sithulisiwe says she felt sorry for the young
      girls, of just 12 and 13, picked
      out, by the camp commander and taken to a nearby
      hotel to be raped. Her
      voice is flat and only when she talks to her
      five-month-old child does her
      face light up. "I have named her Nokthula, which
      means peace. I want her to
      find peace - imagine, I do not even know who her
      father is."

      Sithulisiwe and others were caught trying to
      escape. She says they were
      buried up to their necks. "We were beaten and
      thought we'd be killed, but
      the camp commander rescued us. They made us roll in
      mud, then would not
      let us take a bath."

      The camp closed in July 2002. Many of the youths
      went to government
      training camps, and Sithulisiwe was sent away.
      Aided by a church group,
      she and other women then reported the rapes at
      Hillside police station near

      "Then the doctor gave me a blood test. He told me I
      was HIV positive."g to

      Sithulisiwe's story has been independently
      verified. This month she testified
      at a service led by Archbishop Pius Ncube at the
      Bulawayo Catholic
      cathedral. People across Zimbabwe told of rape and
      torture at the hands of

      "We have several reports of gang rapes and beatings
      at the youth militia
      camps," said a human rights worker. "The camps have
      become centres of
      torture and sexual abuse. Reports are made to
      police but they take virtually
      no action."

      Zimbabwe's police deny this. "Irrespective of
      whether they are political
      cases or not, if they are true rape cases then we
      will investigate them," said
      Wayne Bvudzijena, an assistant commissioner. "If it
      proves to be a serious
      charge, then the culprits will go to court." He was
      not aware of reports of
      rape at the Bulawayo militia camps.

      But investigations have revealed other accounts of
      politically motivated
      sexual violence. Rebecca (36) says she was dragged
      from her home in
      eastern Zimbabwe by youth militia. "They beat me,
      saying I wanted to give
      the country back to whites. Six guys raped me.
      These people threatened to
      kill me and my family. I am afraid I may be
      infected with HIV, but this has
      made me stronger. I feel we are in a war and I must
      be prepared to die."

      Sarah (22) from central Zimbabwe, tells how Zanu-PF
      youth attacked the
      homestead where she farmed. "They burned our house
      and destroyed
      everything we owned. They beat me, even though I
      had our baby on my
      back. They took my baby away. They called me
      Tsvangirai's whore [a
      reference to opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai],
      and they beat the soles of
      my feet. Then, they raped me." - Guardian Unlimited
      © Guardian
      Newspapers Limited 2003
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)