FW: Opportunities with WHO
WHO is looking for a technical office to be located in Manila.
For the attached description of a technical officer position in Manila, if you are interested, please contact:
Ms Helena O'Malley
Polio Eradication Initiative
If you are interested in the below description of a technical officer position in Geneva, please apply using the web. Please also feel free to forward this to anyone else who might be qualified and interested.
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No.: HQ/03/HTP/TA54
Title: Technical Officer
Date: 17 February 2003
Deadline for applications : 17 March 2003
18 day(s) until closing deadline
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration: Eleven months
Duty Station: GENEVA Switzerland
Health Technology and Pharmaceuticals (HTP)
Essential Drugs and Medicines Policy (EDM )
Traditional Medicine (TRM)
Description of duties
Under the supervision of Coordinator, TRM, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
1. Collate relevant technical information on the subject of concern by searching scientific database and literal reference materials.
2. Analyze and summarize relevant scientific and technical information.
3. Review and evaluate the research proposals, particularly for clinical research on traditional medicine for malaria, AIDS and some common diseases and conditions.
4. Draft related technical documents, reports and proposal for resource mobilization in the field of traditional medicine in general and in particular herbal medicines clinical research.
5. Provide technical guidance to target research institutions in designing research protocols and in implementing research proposals funded by TRM.
6. Prepare consultations, workshops and symposia in the field of traditional medicine, according to the team's workplans.
7. Represent and make presentations on behalf of WHO in workshops and international conferences.
8. Facilitiate exchange and dissemination of information on traditional medicine by keeping close contacts with WHO Collaborating Centres for Traditional Medicine, members of the WHO Expert Advisory Panel on Traditional Medicine, and other relevant research institutes and NGOs.
Ph.D. degree in medicine, pharmaceutical science, or pharmacology. Postgraduate degree in traditional (natural) medical practice or public health.
Skills and Competencies
Ability to draft reports in a precise and concise manner. Computer literacy and basic knowledge in the maintenance of databases. Ability to conduct scientific reference search and summarize scientific reference materials. Ability to understand clinical research project and basic biomedical and pharmacological research data on herbal medicines. Ability to adapt to diverse education and cultural backgrounds.
At least 3 years' experience in basic or clinical medical research. Extensive knowledge on medicinal plants and/or herbal medicines and/or traditional medicine (pharmacognosy, pharmacology and pharmacodynamics) and/or other traditional medicine therapies. Research or working experience in a national government agency or in an international organization would be an asset. Basic and clinical knowledge on communicable diseases and non-communicable diseases, including diagnosis, management and treatment, would be an asset..
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of Spanish an asset.
Annual salary (Net of tax)
US$ 58041 at a single rate.
Post Adjustment: 47.50 % of the above figures. This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctations or inflation.
Applications from women and from nationals of non- and under-represented member states are particularly encouraged.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
on-line applications are strongly encouraged
To apply off-line, please see instructions by clicking here
WHO has a smoke-free environment