Palau trip

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
      I was recently selected to be the Charg� d'Affaires in Palau while the
      current Charg� d'Affaires a.i. was an a conference out of country. I
      thought you might enjoy these recaps of work and leisure.

      Wow....should I tell you about the Rock Islands, or about the thousands of
      pretty fish, or the kayak ride or jumping from a cliff, or taking pictures
      from the Japanese pillboxes, looking at a sunken Zero, or seeing the giant
      clams (3 feet wide), or the 100 types of coral, or meeting the President of
      the Republic of Palau...

      Hmm, well I guess all of them, how is that??????

      My plane ride was nothing to write home about so I won't...heh, heh...I
      checked into the hotel, and went to walk on the beach. It is a manmade
      beach, but you wouldn't know it...apparently they had to import the sand.
      It is a nice beach.

      I met with the current charge and we discussed various topics, nothing
      special. Then we parted, and I went to read into the wee hours of the
      night. I woke up at 6, having placed a call to Sam's Tours to pick me up
      and go off on one of their tours. I chose the Nikko Bay Tour. This
      involves kayaking around, and snorkeling and looking at various sunken war
      relics, and then eating lunch, and looking at more treasures.

      I am more of a fish person than a coral person, so as pretty as the corals
      were, I got more out of the pretty fish. So I got ready and waited and
      waited in the lobby, and then thought that it was like every other country I
      had visited in the last fifteen years: time is relative. No, that was not
      the problem. The person on the other end of the phone had not told me to
      meet at the dock. So the boat guy came and grabbed me.

      Four of us got on the boat with a guide. We were a couple of pilots and a
      guy from Continental Airways. We got everything straightened out, and we
      were on our merry way. We were dropped off to do some snorkeling (there are
      lots of places to snorkel), and then we hopped into the kayaks, and kayaked
      around. It was much like going out with my dad in the canoe in Lake
      Tobesofkee. But this time I had to do all the paddling. It was fun, and we
      saw all sorts of coral, and learned about how coral grow, how they have
      their own little DMZs, and their on ways of taking over species.

      I got more of a kick out of seeing the fishes: all colors, and all sizes and
      shapes. If I can find a book of fish, I will scan them and send them
      out...very nice, but the only book I saw so far was for $65, and as much as
      I want to share the photos with you all, it ain't THAT much...

      We went into a small cave that was filled with bats, and guano...I had
      smelled worse, but I have also smelled better. I prefer better. I got a
      few pictures, picked the bats off my shirt, and we continued. All in all a
      good start to the day.

      The guide (Butler) took us to a few Japanese landing tracks that had landed
      in the wrong place. We also saw a 20mm cannon that they had tried to drag
      up a hill using Chinese POWs as labor, but they had dropped it one too many
      times in the water, and their it stayed.

      According to Butler, the Japanese occupied much of Micronesia and they
      established pillbox outposts all over the islands. We saw two or three of
      them. I took a few pictures and we shall together see if they came out.
      We then stopped at the pillbox that had some Japanese written in it (they
      also left thousands of saki bottles around, so I know what they were doing
      when offduty) and had lunch.

      We climbed back down the hill, back into the kayaks and saw another landing
      track. Then we kayaked again and saw more coral (Is it possible to see TOO
      MUCH coral??? I think so, but others might disagree), and went to Disney
      Lake. Not sure why it is called that, but it is...You get to it, by
      snorkeling into it, since the opening is not big enough for a kayak when the
      tide is coming in, and it was.

      It was nice: pristine, unbothered by human hands, and almost enclosed when
      the tide is all the way in...It was Paradise, but no McDonald's or
      JollyBee's. I saw more coral, and a few cool looking fish...

      We then stopped at Cathedral Cave, and saw some nice stalagmites (or
      stalactites, whichever grown down). From there we were able to dive off a
      high-rise. I did it three times, and got my picture (as well as video)
      doing it. I will show to those who are interested. I hope it comes out, I
      reached maximum velocity pretty quickly...and I think I might have an ear
      infection, but Bahala Na!!!!!!!!!!!!!, i.e. Zimatchatika!

      End of Chapter One...

    • reysampaga <rsampaga@comcast.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
        Wow pcpaul!! Way to go.
        Ever since we returned stateside we vowed never to take life for
        granted again because even life's everyday experiences are beautiful
        and a gift. But we sometimes do take things for granted.
        But also sometimes, there are things and people that inspire. A
        song perhaps. Your adventure, definitely.
        I was going to say something about my typical day but I'm happy with
        it. Yours--I will aspire to.
        Salaamat Pare.