Re: [ujeni] Please Contact Your Representative In Washington

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Drat!  That's the problem with email conversations...they sometimes don't come out sounding like you meant.

      Sorry, John, if that sounded as if  I were saying that I was offended by what you said.   I knew it was something you forwarded and thought everyone else would realize that too.  And I guess I really stated it wrong.  I wasn't so much offended as I  thought it might be offensive and just was better left out when writing Congress people.  I have written to ask for inclusion of Malawi and to support budgeting the funds.  I thought the other reasons were great and stood well on there own.

      Thanks again for forwarding such a good suggestion.   Cathy
      From: John Strain <jwstrain@...>
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:; <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
      Date: Saturday, February 01, 2003 6:26 PM

      I got the following from a friend and am sharing this with you all:

      You may have seen the following information about President Bush's efforts to fight aids in Africa. We applaud what he is doing, but we will deeply disappointed when we realized that Malawi is not included on the list of nations to be helped, in spite of the facts that (1) we are planning to help every nation about tiny Malawi, (2) Malawi has as serious an aids problem as any of the other nations around them, (3) We have been advised that Malawi is the most pro-American nation in the region, (4) Malawi has one of the highest numbers of Christian professing people per capita of any nation on earth.

      The following nations are listed, but as you will notice the plan includes every nation around Malawi BUT ignores tiny Malawi.

      "The nations targeted by the initiative include: Botswana, Cote
      d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Guyana, Haiti, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria,
      Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia."

      Will you kindly consider clicking to the links below and writing to your representative and to the president and please ask them to make sure Malawi is included in the aid plans for the future.

      www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

      www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/stateoftheunion/