Whatever works...

  • Kristen E Cheney
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003
> [...]
      >To: Kristen Cheney <kcheney@...>
      >
      >There is a Boulder Colorado Mennonite Church that is organizing a mail
      >protest to President Bush. It is important that as many people participate
      >as
      >possible and that they do this immediately. If you have a moment and can
      >participate, here are the simple directions.
      >
      >Put half a cup of rice in a small plastic bag. Squeeze out the air as you
      >are
      >sealing it. Put it in a standard business envelope or small padded envelope
      >(both cost the same to mail) with a note attached that says,
      >
      >"'If your enemies are hungry, feed them.' (Romans 12:20)
      >Please send this rice to the people of Iraq. Do not attack them."
      >
      >Mail it to:
      >
      >President George Bush
      >White House
      >1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
      >Washington DC 20500
      >
      >You'll need $1.06 in postage (three thirty-seven cent stamps will do) to
      >mail
      >it.
      >
      >In order for this protest to be effective, there must be hundreds of
      >thousands of such rice deliveries to the White House. We can do this if we
      >all forward this message to our friends and family. If every household sent
      >one of these, and the tens of thousands of of our family and friends who
      >think war is a mistake also sent them...we are hundreds of thousands of
      >people!
      >
      >There is a positive history of this protest! Read on!
      >
      >"In the mid 1950s, the pacifist Fellowship of Reconciliation, learning of
      >famine in the Chinese mainland, launched a "Feed Thine Enemy" campaign.
      >Members and friends mailed thousands of little bags of rice to the White
      >House with a tag quoting the Bible, "If thine enemy hunger, feed him." As
      >far
      >as anyone knew for more than ten years, the campaign was an abject failure.
      >The President did not acknowledge receipt of the bags publicly; certainly
      >no
      >rice was ever sent to China.
      >
      >"What nonviolent activists only learned a decade later was that the campaign
      >played a significant, perhaps even determining role in preventing nuclear
      >war. Twice while the campaign was on, President Eisenhower met with the
      >Joint
      >Chiefs of Staff to consider US options in the conflict with China over two
      >islands, Quemoy and Matsu. The generals twice recommended the use of
      >nuclear
      >weapons. President Eisenhower each time turned to his aide and asked how
      >many little bags of rice had come in. When told they numbered in the tens
      >of
      >thousands, Eisenhower told the generals that as long as so many Americans
      >were expressing active interest in having the US feed the Chinese, he
      >certainly wasn't going to consider using nuclear weapons against them."

      Kristen Cheney
      Doctoral Candidate in Anthropology
      University of California at Santa Cruz
      Social Sciences I Faculty Services
      1156 High Street
      Santa Cruz, CA 95064
    • Vyrle Owens
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003

        Dear Kristen and Ujeni folks,

        This form message in the 1950's was apparently quite effective with
        President Eisenhower.

        It is certainly a good idea.

        But I have been in touch with one of the peace activists locally who has
        reported legal hassles for the senders of these packages when some of
        the rice manifests itself as a white powder. Apparently the post
        office, police and federal agents treat the stuff as possible major
        contaminants, test for anthrax, etc, and generally have or cause
        trouble.

        So a letter might be just as effective and don't forget to send a letter
        to your senators and representatives as well.

        This particular form of protest has as its biblical foundation the
        following: "If your enemies are hungry, feed them." (Romans 12:20)

        I suggested a possible update on the concept below:

        "'Our president has a “faith based” office and has expressed support of
        several “faith based” ideas. At least this appears to be case. Perhaps
        a “love your enemies … do good to them that hate you” campaign would be
        more appropriate in this day and age, than the 1950’s “feed thine enemy”
        activity.'"

        Reference: Matthew 5:43-45

        "'43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy
        neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

        44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do
        good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use
        you, and persecute you;

        45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for
        he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain
        on the just and on the unjust.' (Jesus)

        So sending a letter to the president or senator or representative with a
        message with the admonition to love and do good to the people of Iraq
        and maybe a symbolic gift of good to forward to them would be better."

        Good luck with whatever form of peace activism you may choose,

        Vyrle

> [...]
        nuclear
        >war. Twice while the campaign was on, President Eisenhower met with the

        >Joint
        >Chiefs of Staff to consider US options in the conflict with China over
        two
        >islands, Quemoy and Matsu. The generals twice recommended the use of
        >nuclear
        >weapons. President Eisenhower each time turned to his aide and asked
        how
        >many little bags of rice had come in. When told they numbered in the
        tens
        >of
        >thousands, Eisenhower told the generals that as long as so many
        Americans
        >were expressing active interest in having the US feed the Chinese, he
        >certainly wasn't going to consider using nuclear weapons against them."

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/