too much junk

  • bone@brandeis.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 1999
      I do not care if Felix and Alan want to trade barbs. I do care that I
      find 15 messages when I check my e-mail, and it is all this junk. This is
      stuff that should be in private e-mails, not in this distribution list.
      If a mistake is made and you send something to the list accidentally, it
      would be nice to realize the error and refrain from any more such
      messages.

      We have a Graduate Student Association distribution list here at Brandeis,
      and we have had a similar problem with too many e-mails that should have
      been private. This had caused people to (1) delete almost everything
      without reading it, or (2) unsubscribe from the list. It would be a
      matter of common courtesy to be judicious about the things we post to any
      list.

      I think it is right and proper for us to tell Felix and Alan if we don't
      appreciate all these messages coming across our screens, since they don't
      seem to be of general interest. I would think the mature repsponse would
      be for them to agree to minimize such posting to the list. If such a
      request makes them want to leave the list completely, then I would guess
      they have a far different idea of what the list should be than I do.

      I expect that if anyone posts things that we think are inappopriate, it is
      our right to tell them so. Perhaps we should do this by private e-mail.
      Private censure is much more tactful than public censure. If you do not
      agree with what I am writing now, and you feel that everyone needs to hear
      what you have to say, post it to the list. If you feel that it would be
      enough for me to hear what you have to say, then write directly to me.

      Enough said. Most likely too much.

      -Eric