    Message 1 of 1046 , Jan 2, 2003
      Malawi probes grain

      Malawi's President Bakili Muluzi has appointed a
      commission to investigate the sale of the
      country's emergency grain reserve just months
      before food shortages started to occur.

      The government in Malawi blames the IMF and
      the World Bank for forcing it to sell grain to
      repay loans.

      But the money has not been accounted for,
      and the IMF says it gave no such advice.

      The commission, chaired by a lawyer, will also
      look into allegations of mismanagement in the
      state-run grain company.

      The depletion of the maize reserves, most of
      which were exported to Kenya, is largely
      blamed for causing Malawi's acute food

      According to government and aid agencies,
      more than 3.2 million people need urgent food

      Our reporter in Malawi says the inquiry will also
      examine whether Finance Minister Friday
      Jumbe, who was then head of a grain
      marketing company, the Agriculture
      Development and Marketing Corporation, used
      money from the sale for the construction of
      the Superior Hotel in Blantyre, which he owns.

      Mr Jumbe has denied
      any wrongdoing,
      saying he welcomes
      the inquiry and has
      nothing to fear.

      Last week, the World
      Food Programme said
      lessons must be learnt
      from the way that
      international funding
      organisations have
      dealt with the hunger
      crisis in Malawi.

      Malawi is one of the seven countries in
      Southern Africa facing critical food shortages.

      Zambian debt burden

      Zambia may have find an extra $100m to
      service its foreign debt this year, putting an
      "intolerable" burden on the country's economy,
      according to the country's president.

      "The debt is what is
      going to undermine our
      development efforts,
      the debt burden is
      now intolerable,"
      President Levy
      Mwanawasa warned in
      his New Year's

      The sub-Saharan
      African country, one
      of the poorest in the
      world, is saddled with
      $6bn of external debt.

      The warning comes after the International
      Monetary Fund said Zambia will not receive
      about $1bn in debt relief under the Highly
      Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) initiative if it
      does not follow an agreed privatisation

      "Something has to be done"

      Most of Zambia's 11 million people live on less
      than $1 a day, and about a quarter face
      famine because of a regional food shortage.

      "Each year we have to find an excess of
      $200m just to service the debt. This year the
      figure may exceed $300m, something has to be
      done," Mr Mwanawasa said.

      He has warned that Zambia might suspend
      privatisation programmes, saying they cause
      hefty job losses while bringing few benefits to
      rural areas.

      Under HIPC, the sell-off of the state Zambia
      National Commercial Bank (Zanaco), along with
      power utility Zesco and telecoms firm Zamtel,
      are key to qualifying for the debt relief.

      Anti-poverty campaigners have suggested that
      HIPC countries suspend all debt servicing and
      payments, and use the money instead to feed
      their populations and provide health care.

      Zimbabwe paper back on

      Zimbabwe's leading independent daily
      newspaper, the Daily News, is back on sale
      after a 10-day strike.

      The award winning editor-in-chief, Geoff
      Nyarota, left on Monday saying he had

      But Tuesday's issue led with a story saying he
      had been relieved of his duties "with immediate

      The Daily News has been a strong critic of
      President Robert Mugabe's government, and is
      the best selling newspaper in the country.

      Neither the
      newspaper's owners,
      Newspapers of
      Zimbabwe, or Mr
      Nyarota have
      explained the reasons
      for his departure.

      Mr Nyarota has been
      arrested by police
      several times and has
      won numerous awards
      for journalism and
      press freedom. He
      helped found the newspaper in 1999.

      "It was not an easy decision. It breaks my
      heart," he said on Monday.

      A strike by journalists over pay began before
      Christmas. The Daily News web site has not
      been updated since 19 December.

      His departure comes at a precarious position
      for independent journalists in Zimbabwe.

      They await a decision
      by the government's
      media commission on
      who will be allowed to
      work in the country.

      New draconian press
      legislation was
      introduced at the start
      of the year which
      holds that journalists
      publishing falsehoods
      or undermining the
      credibility of President
      Mugabe can be heavily
      fined or liable to a
      two-year prison sentence.

      Media and Information Commission chairman
      Tafataona Mahoso told the state-run Herald on
      Tuesday that it would start issuing new press
      accreditations in the first week of January.

      Already a number of foreign media
      organisations, including the BBC, have been
      prevented from entering the country on
      reporting trips.

      The arrest and intimidation of independent
      journalists has become commonplace.

      In Hungry Zimbabwe, Food Used as Political Weapon
      By Michael Grunwald
      Washington Post Staff Writer
      Wednesday, January 1, 2003; Page A01

      MAKONDE, Zimbabwe -- "This is not about politics. This is just about

      Goodwill Murinwe was making a fiery speech, and hundreds of villagers
      were listening to every word.
      That's because they were hungry, and Murinwe was explaining how the
      World Food Program would
      select 89,000 of them for emergency maize handouts in this district of
      dusty fields and mud huts.

      "This food is only for the most vulnerable people!" shouted Murinwe, a
      program manager for Catholic
      Relief Services here. "We don't care which party you support. Politics
      has nothing to do with this!"

      But in today's Zimbabwe, politics has something to do with just about
      everything -- especially food. With
      more than half the nation's 12 million citizens at risk of starvation,
      there is strong evidence that President
      Robert Mugabe's ruling party has used food as an instrument of power --
      to reward allies, punish
      opponents and attract new supporters.

      The group Physicians for Human Rights concluded in a recent report that
      "the political abuse of food is the
      most serious and widespread human rights violation in Zimbabwe at this
      time." Officials in Mugabe's party
      -- the Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) --
      have been spotted distributing
      maize at party rallies, in party offices and sometimes out of their own
      back doors. And while most of the
      problems have involved food controlled by Mugabe's government -- which
      holds a strict monopoly on
      grain imports here -- at times politics has interfered with
      international food aid as well.

      In Insiza, the World Food Program had to suspend food aid for two
      months after ZANU-PF activists
      seized three tons of its maize. In Binga, ZANU-PF officials barred the
      Catholic Church and the nonprofit
      Save the Children (UK) from distributing food to the poor after the
      area voted en masse for the opposition
      Movement for Democratic Change. Here in Makonde, where World Food
      Program officials recently
      invited reporters in an effort to show that international food aid is
      nonpartisan, local activists offered
      several examples of intimidation and politicization surrounding
      government food aid.

      U.S. diplomats have accused Mugabe of using food as a political weapon,
      and one even threatened that
      the problem "may bring us face-to-face with Zimbabwe's sovereignty."
      The European Union's president
      accused Mugabe of using aid "as a tool in the domestic fight against
      the opposition." Even Mugabe, who
      routinely blames whites and opposition activists for his nation's
      crises, has publicly acknowledged serious
      corruption in his government's food distribution network.

      "I am told some senior officials use their influence to get maize and
      resell it at the expense of our people,"
      Mugabe, 78, said at a recent ceremony to commemorate National Planting
      Day. "Those who are doing
      that should stop it forthwith."

      Mugabe has ruled Zimbabwe since its independence in 1980. After he
      almost lost power in March,
      narrowly defeating the MDC's Morgan Tsvangirai in a highly disputed
      election marred by widespread
      violence, he vowed to rein in dissenters. "We'll make them run. We
      won't pander to them any longer,"
      Mugabe said at a post-election ZANU-PF celebration recorded on
      videotape. "We're in a new phase, a
      new chapter, and there will be firm government. Very firm."

      The result was new laws cracking down on journalists, outlawing the
      most prominent Zimbabwean humanave
      rights group and requiring police permission for all public assemblies.
      MDC officials say they are
      constantly harassed, assaulted and arrested. Didymus Mutasa, ZANU-PF's
      organizing secretary,
      notoriously proclaimed at an August rally that "we would be better off
      with only 6 million people, with our
      own people who support the liberation struggle. We don't want all these
      extra people."

      Still, suggestions by human rights groups, MDC activists and foreign
      diplomats that Mugabe has launched
      a genocidal attempt to starve his opposition seem stronger than the
      evidence supporting them. In
      Zimbabwe, as in much of southern Africa, rural villagers are
      increasingly malnourished after two straight
      years of drought, but they do not look like skeletons, and they are not
      dying in droves. Foreign donors
      have managed to get some food into Zimbabwe without passing it through
      the government's hands.

      Still, it is clear that Mugabe's land redistribution program -- which
      has ousted most of the nation's white
      commercial farmers, often in favor of ZANU-PF loyalists with no
      agricultural experience -- has been a
      major cause of the nation's food crisis.

      Before the land grabs, Zimbabwe had been a key exporter of grain; the
      World Food Program had a
      procurement office here, but no distribution office. Now, farm
      production is down by more than 50
      percent, and the country is desperately short of maize and other

      It is also clear that some ZANU-PF officials have taken advantage of
      those shortages to steer food in
      politically advantageous directions -- and, at times, to enrich
      themselves. In the Nkayi district, for
      example, Physicians for Human Rights collected 1,437 allegations of MDC
      supporters being denied
      access to food, and unearthed a local ZANU-PF official's memo declaring
      that government food
      programs and land distributions should be restricted to ruling party
      members. MDC officials, the official
      wrote, "have clearly demonstrated that they don't want land. They
      should go stay with their whites and
      their Tsvangirai."

      Here in Makonde, MDC officials say that a local ZANU-PF leader sold an
      illicit shipment of maize at the
      Godzi Primary School on March 27, slashing prices for ZANU-PF members.
      Lecks Machiridze, a deputy
      chief in the district, says that a top party official warned him that
      his constituents would be denied food
      unless he started attending ZANU-PF meetings and that government food
      would be reserved for its

      "They control the food, and they make sure it goes where they want it
      to go," said Tonderai Ndira, 26, an
      MDC activist who is Machiridze's son. "Just look at who's in charge of
      the process."

      There are two official processes for distributing maize in Zimbabwe:
      The government sells it cheaply
      through its Grain Marketing Board, the nation's only legal grain
      importer, and the World Food Program
      gives it away through government-approved nonprofit groups. Originally,
      Mugabe's government tried to
      insist that WFP officials distribute grain through its party-controlled
      marketing board as well, but they
      refused. The haggling delayed WFP operations by more than three months,
      and ZANU-PF officials
      continue to block some grain shipments at the border. Tony Hall, the
      U.S. ambassador to the food
      program, recently asked one of Mugabe's top aides: "Why do I get the
      impression that I have to beg you
      to feed your people?"

      Overall, though, WFP officials point out that they have distributed
      100,000 metric tons of food and have
      lost only the three tons in Insiza; they say they are keeping their own
      distributions as apolitical as possible.
      They rely on local politicians and chiefs to tell them who needs food
      most, but they conduct independent
      reviews to make sure they're not misled.

      "I'm not saying there haven't been efforts to interfere, but we're
      reaching the people we want to reach,"
      said Kevin Farrell, the WFP's top official in Zimbabwe.

      In Makonde, for example, a ZANU-PF politician, Dan Zvobgo, is chairman
      of the local distribution
      committee, but Catholic Relief Services workers kept close watch as
      residents registered for their food.
      Zvobgo and the local ZANU-PF chairman, Fannie Chikomba, brought two
      police officers with them to
      the registration, but they did not make any public speeches.

      "You heard them say very clearly that there is no politics with food,"
      Chikomba said in an interview. "The
      opposition may come up with a storm in a teacup, but I tell you this
      food is distributed fairly."

      But the Grain Marketing Board has distributed three times as much food
      as the WFP. And almost
      everyone outside the ruling party hierarchy agrees that the control of
      that process by ZANU-PF board
      members, officials and party-approved millers and shopkeepers is almost

      In recent weeks, the most intense politics around food has swirled in
      Kuwadzana, a district in the capital,
      Harare, that will soon hold a special election to replace a deceased
      member of parliament.

      All maize in Kuwadzana is milled by David Mutasa, a ZANU-PF politician
      who is a nephew of the party
      secretary and may run for the open seat. MDC officials say some of the
      maize is then distributed to
      selected shops -- one controlled by a ZANU-PF ward chairman, one by a
      party militant -- where it is
      sold at the low official prices to anyone with a ZANU-PF card. They say
      the rest is repackaged and sold
      on the black market at inflated prices by local party officials.

      "It's good business, and it's good politics," said Basil Nyabadza, a
      Kuwadzana exporter who owns the
      warehouse where the Mutasa family operates its mill. "People are
      hungry. Maybe they'll vote for the man
      who gets them food. But who knows? Maybe they'll buy his maize and vote
      MDC anyway."

      In interviews around Kuwadzana, dozens of MDC supporters said they were
      turned away from bread
      lines at ZANU-PF-controlled shopping centers. Several said they had
      purchased ZANU-PF cards in
      order to eat. Emilia Mukusha, a 68-year-old former street cleaner who
      is blind in one eye, said she joined
      the party she despises to stave off starvation.

      "I hated to get the card, but I'll die without it," said Mukusha, a
      widow with eight unemployed children. "It
      doesn't matter. I'm still MDC all the way."

      But Zvobgo, the ZANU-PF food official in Makonde, said the MDC's
      complaints are just sour grapes.
      Sure, he said, the opposition is hungry.

      Mugabe's 'Surreal' Policies Ravage Zimbabwe Economy
      Unemployment and Inflation Soar, Food Shortage Acute

      By Michael Grunwald
      Washington Post Foreign Service
      Friday, December 27, 2002; Page A10

      HARARE, Zimbabwe -- In President Robert Mugabe's
      Zimbabwe, a 7-ounce hunk of cheddar cheese costs
      than 14 ounces of the same cheddar cheese. Motorists
      up for hours outside gas stations with no gas. The
      government has shut down all foreign exchange
      Bakers are required to sell regular bread for less
      than it costs
      to make it, so instead they sell raisin bread (with
      a few
      raisins) or poppy bread (with a few seeds) or
      twisted bread
      (with a few twists) at five times the set price.

      A recent foreign diplomatic cable summarized
      Mugabe's new
      budget with one word: surreal.

      "It's Alice slipping through the hole. We're living
      Wonderland now," said Brian Raftopolous, the
      chairman of
      Zimbabwe in Crisis, a coalition of civic groups. "It
      would be
      funny if it wasn't so sad."

      Mugabe's notoriety stems mostly from his decision to
      productive land from white farmers despite a looming
      but land grabs are just part of the
      economic regime the longtime president is trying to
      on Zimbabwe. And bread isn't the only part of
      "Mugabenomics" that seems twisted. As the
      issues an ever-expanding list of financial dictates
      -- most
      notably price controls on everything from Palmolive
      soap to
      T-bone steaks, and currency controls fixing the
      exchange rate at about 3 percent of the real
      exchange rate --
      Zimbabwe's once-vibrant economy is imploding.

      Unemployment is near 70 percent. The stock market
      crashed. Inflation is officially 144 percent but
      really much
      higher, while wages are relatively stagnant in a
      country where
      most people earn less than $1 a day. Zimbabwe's $500
      -- worth $9 U.S. at the official rate, or about 30
      cents on the
      street -- is known as the Ferrari, because it goes
      so fast. The
      economy is shrinking 10 percent a year, even though
      retail and housing sectors are booming, people with
      are racing to spend it before it loses value. Mugabe
      has said
      the fuel crisis is giving him "stomachaches and
      The latest joke here is that Zimbabweans have the
      world's highest IQs: I queue for gas, I queue for
      bread, I queue for sugar.

      The food shortage facing Zimbabwe is no joke. The
      United Nations estimates that 6.7 million of the
      country's 12 million people are at risk of
      starvation. The government has a monopoly on grain imports
      to Zimbabwe, but it is desperately short of foreign
      currency, so it is now drastically short of food. Its
      land redistribution scheme drove much of the
      nation's agricultural expertise into exile and handed much
      of the nation's fertile soil to Mugabe allies who
      have no farming experience or poor farmers who have
      no access to seeds or fertilizer. This is expected
      to wipe out as much as half of next year's harvest.
      Mugabe's price controls on maize and other staples
      are making the problem worse; many farmers say
      that even if they weren't facing a drought, they
      wouldn't want to plant crops they would have to sell at a

      "They went after the white people, but it's the
      black people who suffer," said farmhand Abraham Phili,
      who was evicted from an irrigated plantation that
      lies fallow. "How will I feed my children now?"

      Phili and many of his fellow villagers have begun
      panning for gold in the Piriwiri River, but even that
      livelihood isn't beyond reach of the long arm of the
      state. Mugabe's government just announced
      regulations barring the sale of gold by "alluvial
      gold miners," among other scofflaws.

      Mugabe was a rebel leader in the guerrilla war that
      gained Zimbabwe its independence in 1980, and he
      has been the nation's head of state since. For much
      of his rule, Zimbabwe was seen as an African
      success story, and until recently, it was considered
      a breadbasket.

      Mugabe tends to blame his country's current problems
      on drought, Western colonialism and capitalism,
      peppering speeches with attacks on greedy
      entrepreneurs, ruthless markets and the forces of
      globalization. For too long, he says, rich nations
      have exploited poorer nations and dictated their
      economic policies.

      During a speech this month at the central committee
      meeting for his ruling party, the Zimbabwe African
      National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF), he accused
      his country's bourgeoisie of charging
      "exorbitant prices."

      "While many manufacturers and traders want to blame
      it on production costs, it is clear the consumer is
      being ripped off, abused and taken advantage of by
      avaricious, heartless business people, several of
      whom would want to politicize production processes
      in sympathy with white landed interests," he said.

      While Mugabe studied Marxism at the University of
      London and is commonly referred to here as
      Comrade Mugabe, most economists say his policies are
      driven more by authoritarianism than
      communism. Since voters rejected Mugabe's bid to
      rewrite Zimbabwe's constitution in 2000 -- and
      especially after he retained power in a disputed
      election marred by violence this spring -- Mugabe and
      ZANU-PF have moved to consolidate their control over
      the country. And that is the common element
      of all of Mugabe's economic policies.

      Zimbabwe now requires its pension funds to deposit
      nearly half their reserves with the government at
      paltry interest rates, so inflation is draining away
      pensions. Banks must buy government debt on the
      cheap as well. And as of this month, manufacturers
      must trade in half their foreign currency to the
      government for Zimbabwean dollars -- at the
      ludicrous official rate -- and must deposit the rest of the
      currency in government banks, to be withdrawn only
      with government permission. The nation's industrial
      trade group says half its members might close their
      doors rather than comply.

      "It's tough," said Callisto Jokonya, the CEO of a
      refrigerator manufacturer. "What you learn about
      business in books is not practical in this
      environment. The politicians have their own agendas."

      Charles Zambe, a shopkeeper in Harare, got a taste
      of the new economy last month when police
      charged him with "profiteering." His crime: selling
      a 5-kilogram bag of maize for 350 Zimbabwean
      dollars. The official price was supposed to be 150,
      but Zambe had bought the bag for 320. His
      profiteering amounted to 2 or 3 American cents.
      Still, his maize stocks were confiscated, and he was
      fined 5,000 Zimbabwean dollars.

      "Every day it's getting harder to survive," Zambe
      said. "It's like making money is illegal."

      Mugabe's latest response to Zimbabwe's underground
      economy was this month's list of price controls
      on yarn, window frames, building sands and a host of
      other products. The price controls also tried to
      address the twisted-bread problem, and the related
      problem of merchants who split up price-controlled
      packages and sell both halves at higher prices. It
      is now illegal to "manufacture, produce or provide any
      such good or service under a new name or brand, or
      in units not previously offered for sale, except with
      the written authority of the Ministry." The
      government also announced a recruiting drive to find more
      inspectors to enforce the price laws and has dropped
      hints in the state-owned Herald newspaper that
      some kind of freeze on salaries could be imminent.

      John Robertson, an economist in Harare, warned that
      this cycle of controls, evasions and more controls
      cannot last long, that it's impossible and
      inadvisable to try to stop entrepreneurs from providing new
      goods. In mid-December, Mugabe shut down all
      currency exchanges, but they have moved to back
      alleys. New price ceilings on furniture and
      refrigerators have simply prompted merchants to demand
      cash up front.

      Meanwhile, Mugabe's government is spending half its
      revenue to pay interest on its debts. The more
      foreign currency it tries to squeeze out of
      exporters, the less incentive they have to export -- or at least
      to report their exports to the government. A recent
      editorial cartoon in a Harare paper portrayed the
      funeral business as "the only growing industry in

      "Look, there's only so long you can defy the laws of
      supply and demand," Robertson said. "It's like
      defying the laws of gravity. Pretty soon, you're
      going to come crashing down." The deepest crisis is the
      fuel shortage. Zimbabwe had a contract to import
      Libyan oil, but it missed payments, and the flow has
      slowed to a trickle. There is hardly any gas in
      Harare, , which has not stopped drivers from lining up at
      stations for hours upon hearing rumors of gas. Buses
      are grounded; cars are left at home; lines snake
      around entire city blocks, choking off all of Fourth
      Street and half of Robert Mugabe Road.

      "All we do is look for petrol," said taxi driver
      Champion Mutari. "It's all anybody does around here."

      Mugabe doesn't have that problem. He still rides in
      an armored Mercedes limousine with tinted
      windows, surrounded by two dozen motorcycles and
      sport utility vehicles with their sirens blaring. The
      motorcade is known as Bob Mugabe and the Wailers.
      And it is now a crime in Zimbabwe to make
      rude gestures or comments as it passes by.

      "It's all about total power," Robertson said. "The
      economy is just one more way to expand control."

      In Zimbabwe, he said, everyone is hungry.

      "When the cake is small for sharing, everyone complains about his
      portions," Zvobgo said. "But this
      government is doing its best for everyone."
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        Zambia: Malawians Grab Zambian Land

        The Times of Zambia (Ndola)