USA Today

  • Raymond R. Wise
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 1999
      Wow! Amazing how a little note can set the animosity in motion. This is
      more intense than that whole northern vs. southern California malarkey. So
      Alan and Felix, would you or wouldn't you recommend those testosterone shots
      for the rest of us? It doesn't make you too hairy does it?

      First of all, Alan, you are guilty of faulty reasoning. Just because I am
      aware of the existence of an article in USA Today, it doesn't mean that I
      read USA Today. The swiftness of your violent and close-minded response
      suggests a need for psychological counselling. Did someone swat you on the
      bottom with a newspaper when you were but a wee lad? A USA Today, perhaps?

      Secondly, you shouldn't judge people by WHAT they read, but rather by HOW
      they read. For instance, I have a friend who is always talking about these
      intellectually hip magazines and novels. She doesn't understand much of
      what she reads (by the way, it's no one that any of you know), but she gains
      a reputation for being an intellectual among most people, who don't know any
      better. On the other hand, I know and respect many people who read
      mainstream newspapers and magazines with a critical eye, trying to sort out
      the BS and propaganda from the good reporting. USA Today is generally poor
      journalism, but it is worth reading if only because intellectuals have a
      responsibility to know what is being said in the mainstream press (that
      being the medium by which most Americans get their information), so that
      they can challenge the falsehoods, the white lies, and the outright
      omissions. Jefferson: the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

      Thirdly (Rand says as he flexes his biceps), as moderator of the list, I can
      bar people from it. Now I don't care what your politics are. You can
      forward any proposition you want on this list, but let us agree to disagree
      with some measure of civility. I can appreciate the whole male primate need
      to belittle others (after all, I teach many male teenagers on a daily
      basis), but let's keep it off the list. The one thing I find hard to
      tolerate is judgmental people. There's room for everyone in our tent, even
      limesuckers. Maybe even Alan DeBrauw.

      We should recognize that even the fool sometimes speaks a true proposition,
      and the genius-expert may speak falsely. And here's a bit of Philosophy
      101: It is a sign of a weak position when someone launches a nasty ad
      hominem attack. If they had something useful to say it would stand on its
      own merit.

      So there.

      Rand
      Rand & Deb Wise
      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
      Decatur, GA 30033

      wiserd@...
      (404) 327-5765

      "When my friend told me he found Jesus, I thought, "Yippie! We're going to
      be rich!", but then it turned out to be something different." -Jack Handy
    • Alan de Brauw
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 1999
        I get the message. Obviously, you find no humor in our banter. I'm
        unsubscribing.

        Alan

      • Raymond R. Wise
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 1999
          Hello everyone,

          Sorry if I over-reacted (did I?).

          Alan, I do see the humor, but this list is not the place for it. I think I
          speak for the majority of the subscribers when I say that we want to be able
          to post items without fear of being belittled. It is not what a community
          is about. Someone said that the health and wealth of a community should be
          measured by how its members treat the weakest and meekest among them. Let's
          try to live up to that. I don't mind erring on the side of alienating
          vulgar bullies.

          Alan if you want to start an email list with the express intent of being
          rude to each other, that is fine. It is simple to start a list. Heck,
          maybe I'd join it.

          Rand

          Rand & Deb Wise
          2784 Mt. Olive Drive
          Decatur, GA 30033

          wiserd@...
          (404) 327-5765

          "When my friend told me he found Jesus, I thought, "Yippie! We're going to
          be rich!", but then it turned out to be something different." -Jack Handy
        • Felix Edwards
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 1999
            Much as I hate to agree with Debrauw I will be unsubscribing too, this was just
            meant as a joke between myself and Alan and initially I had intended to send it
            to him directly but for some reason it got bumped to the list. If people are
            offended by these facile comments then this is obviously not a list that I should
            be on.
            Cheers,
            Felix

            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 1999
              To put in my two tambala's worth, Rand, I don't think you over-reacted at all. Felix's grand entrance to the list yesterday was attention-getting, to say the least. I would prefer those sorts of messages remain between the people involved, unless of course, someone is making fun of Dever. :)

              christine

              From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>

              Hello everyone,

[...]

              Join the Star Wars craze!
              http://www.onelist.com
              Set up your Star Wars list at ONElist.
            • Paul Dever
              Message 6 of 9 , May 11, 1999
                Reply to: RE>>[ujeni] USA Today
                hey, chumbler...at least MY SPA project was finished... : )

                --------------------------------------
                Date: 5/7/99 8:58
                To: Custodian
                From: ujeni@onelist.com
                From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

                From: "Raymond R. Wise" <wiserd@...>

                Hello everyone,

[...]

                [Message ID: -1286054980]
                [Internet header:]
                Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:23:22 -0400
                From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>
                To: ujeni@onelist.com
                Subject: Re: [ujeni] USA Today

                  Date: 5/7/99 8:58
                  To: Custodian
                  From: ujeni@onelist.com
                  From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

                  Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:23:22 -0400
                  From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>
                  To: ujeni@onelist.com

                    Date: 5/7/99 8:58
                    To: Custodian
                    From: ujeni@onelist.com
                    From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

                    Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:23:22 -0400
                    From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>
                    To: ujeni@onelist.com
                      OK, OK, I got the point. You don't have to send the message three times.

                      From: "Paul Dever" <pdever@...>

                      Reply to: RE>>[ujeni] USA Today

                      Date: 5/7/99 8:58
                      To: Custodian
                      From: ujeni@onelist.com
                      From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>

                      Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:23:22 -0400
                      From: "Christine Chumbler" <cchumble@...>
                      To: ujeni@onelist.com

                      Make your voice heard!
                      http://www.onelist.com
                      Sign up for the ONElist Weekly Survey. Go to homepage for details.