Hello

  • John Patten
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
      Hi Ujenis,

      Sorry, I know this is not P day, but I only get out
      about every three months or so. I crossed over the
      Afghan/Uzbekistan border at Termez and flew up to
      Toshkent for three days over the Eid holiday here.

      I'm enjoying a break from Mazar, but this trip proves
      the addage "You can take the country out of the Soviet
      Union, but you can't take the Soviet Union out of the
      country." It is so cold here that I now understand now
      how Napoleon and Hitler got their butts kicked right
      out of the region. I'm strangely enjoying myself
      despite standing on the tarmac in sub-zero weather
      while they fuel the one plane that leaves the same
      time every day, no heat in the hotels (for God's sake,
      it's not cold half the year, what do you want?),
      phones that you have to hit in just the right spot to
      work, a skill provided by the locals, bathrooms that
      were last cleaned during Glasnost, and the Uzbek
      airline slogan, "We don't have to care, we're the only
      airline. Fly us, don't fly us, whatever."

      I ate at a cool little cafe in the neighborhood last
      night, only customer there, and the four staff around
      the karaoke machine were singing Pushtin poetry to me
      and gesturing my way to say either "We're glad we can
      celebrate our humanity together" or "Who's this putz?"
      I wasn't sure which.

      I'm going to Pretoria at Christmastime to see Eriko
      for one month, then will finish Afghanistan in April
      before moving to SA.

      I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.

      Cheers,
      JP

      =====
      If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race
      has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that
      word would be "meetings."

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
        You never fail to bring out a smile...Look up the Consular or Political or
        Econ officer at the American Embassy. He was in my class of 97...tell him
        you know me, and he might throw you a scrap of food...or have the local
        guard shoot you.

      • John Patten
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
          Thanks Paul,

          If I had more time here I would go look him up. I
          should be more cautious about walking all over the
          city at night. They have caucasian soup on the menu. I
          knew there was mafia influence here but this is really
          beyond the pale. You can also wash those food stains
          out with new lemon scented Barf. Tough crowd.

          JP

          =====