Update

  • Kristen E Cheney
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
      Hi All,

      I'm a day late, but I hope that's okay.

      This year has posed many challenges. My partner Mathew came back from
      Uganda with me when I finish my fieldwork there last December. We spent
      Christmas with my folks in Michigan then drove out to California so I could
      continue with school at UC Santa Cruz. Adjusting to life together in the
      States has been very difficult at times, but we've gotten through it, and
      Mathew finally got his work permit from the INS a few weeks ago. He's so
      intelligent and hardworking, and it's been hard for him to sit around
      waiting. He works in biomedical research, and he's anxious to get busy so
      he can pursue his career goals. We welcome any job leads!

      I am trying to get some writing done on my dissertation while working.
      Sometimes I don't feel I've been all that successful, but I've actually
      gotten about a third of it written. When it gets done, my dissertation will
      be about the intersections of local concepts of childhood and nationhood in
      Uganda. I really hope to privilege children's voices in it. I went to
      several conferences this year in New York and New Orleans to present my
      work, and I've gotten good feedback - possibly even a lead with a
      publisher! I'm looking forward to teaching two courses in anthropology on
      children and schooling at UCSC in the coming year.

      I'm in the middle of grading final papers for the class I taught in Social
      Documentation this quarter. Then Mathew and I are off to DC for the African
      Studies conference, some sightseeing, and a reunion with Peace Corps
      friends Christine, Lauren, et al. Looking forward to it. Hope you all have
      a great holiday season!

      Kristen
    • Jesse Kwiek
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2002
        Hi!
        Its been woderful to hear how everyone is doing. Deb/Rand, thanks for
        geting things rolling.
        To my side, I completed my Ph.D in biochemistry two weeks ago and as of
        last week I'm working at UNC-Chapel Hill in a molecular epidemiology
        lab where I am studying the effects of malaria on HIV transmission from
        mother to newborn child. Fate has truly been on my side, as my new job
        allows me to stay in NC (see below), study something related to my
        graduate work, and return to Malawi, as my advisor has labs in
        Blantyre. Best of all, I have a Malawian coworker who humors me as I
        try to relearn the game of Bawo.

        Finally and most importantly, I am engaged to Nicole, a student whom I
        met during my graduate studies. We're getting married next year
        sometime, although planning is not (yet) our forte.
        Khalani makola/Tsalani bwino.
        Jesse
        919.401.2693