Re: [ujeni] trying again

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
      The more you work in "countries en route to development", and you see how
      much of "The Lords of Poverty" rings true, you begin to lose faith in man's
      (as a race or genus...not sexist) ability to help his fellow man, not that
      everyone should be selfless, but if only half the polpulation could help one
      person each, then everyone woould be helped!

      Simplistic, yes...but if people can sometimes think of others (while
      thinking of him/herself) and do a bit of good, then we would be better off.

      Paul's Pablum of the day...

      From: holland@... <holland@...>
      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 7:58 PM
      Subject: [ujeni] trying again

      >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about this
      one. Can it be true as printed?

      >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
      vehicle-km

      >Malawi 1117
      >India 65
      >Egypt 44
      >Kenya 41
      >Latvia 25
      >
      >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in the
      world?

      >Mark

    • Kristof Nordin
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 11, 2002
        From: Christine Chumbler <cchumble@...>
        To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:59 AM

        Also, I think I remember hearing that
        >Malawi's traffic deaths have increased in recent years as the roads
        >continue to deteriorate.>

        Hey all, I'm finally back from a long trip to the USA and I'm slowly wading
        through e-mail backlogs in no particular order. I would have to disagree
        with this comment about roads continuing to deteriorate, the roads have
        improved tremendously over the past 5 years - and maybe that is the true
        problem? Better roads, faster speeds? Definitely more and more cars. Who
        knows the real causes.

        Stacia
      • Vyrle Owens
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

          Dear all,

          Mark tried to get a response to foreign aid and traffic fatality rates.
          Sorry I am not up to date on foreign aid. My opinion is there is little
          relationship between money aid and either economic, social, or
          "democratic" development.

          As to traffic fatality rates, I was aware of the extremely high fatality
          rates in Malawi (and other places in Southern Africa) when I was in
          Malawi. Not that anyone actually paid much attention to the statistics,
          but you can understand a little more about why I was so reluctant to
          have PCVs traveling around the country. I thought we were all safer at
          home (in Malawi).

          Now to a new set of numbers:

          Perhaps we could call this "Republican Presidential Mandate???"

          According to the census there were 281,421,906 people in the United
          States in the year 2000. http://factfinder.census.gov

          Of these people about 220 million are younger than the president and 60
          million are older (give or take a few million)

          Of these people 205,815,000 are of voting age.
          http://www.fec.gov/pages/2000turnout/reg&to00.htm
          Basically everyone over the age of 18.

          Of the voting age population approximately 15 million are not eligible
          to vote. Non citizens and others, including 1.2 -1.5 million felons.

          Of the voting age population 156,421,311 were registered to vote in the
          2000 general election. Of the registered voters 105,586,274 cast a
          ballot. Some 2% did not vote for president

          Now, of interest to note, there were 16 candidates for the office of
          President on the ballot someplace. This varied by state. There were
          also miscellaneous write-in votes.

          According to http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/2000presgeresults.htm there were
          105,405,100 votes cast for the office of president.

          George Bush received 50,456,002 votes (47.87%).

          Al Gore received 50,999,897 votes (48.38%).

          All other candidates received the balance. (3.75%)

          "Miscellaneous write-in", "none of these candidates", blank, and void
          votes, numbering 138,216 were not included in some totals.

          Now to the question (maybe this is a riddle).

          In our "democratic" government of the people, by the people, for the
          people, who won the presidency?

          And

          Who in the executive branch, legislative branch, or the judicial branch
          of our representative republic really represents the people?

          Thanks for your thoughtful replies,

          Vyrle

          PS. By the way, feel free to ask and answer any other question that
          comes to mind.

          I also have some traffic fatality numbers to stimulate conversation at a
          near future date.

          Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about
          this one. Can it be true as printed?

          Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
          vehicle-km

          Malawi 1117
          India 65
          Egypt 44
          Kenya 41
          Latvia 25

          Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in the
          world?

          Mark

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Vyrle Owens
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

            Dear Rand,

            Dolly finally has her own email address and would like to subscribe to
            the ujeni. Would you be kind enough to instruct her?

            dollyowens@...

            Thanks,

            Vyrle
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
              That one is easy: Bush won, for the plain reason that we use the electoral
              college, and do not have the popular vote.

              Some wish to return to the popular vote, but they too are missing the point.
              Barely half of the eligible people voted, so neither candidate had a
              "majority" per se, but a majority of the votes cast. There is quite a
              difference. Once could argue that the eal winner wa "no one", in the NO ONE
              received the largest vote of "present <in the country>, but not voting"

            • Holland, Mark
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                I think the question of mandate has been largely obviated: Bush was elected without any mandate whatsoever, he proceeded to ignore that fact completely and govern as if he had the undivided support of the nation, and in the midterm elections the American people granted him exactly the authority he sought. So clearly Bush won the election: it just took him 2 extra years to do it. My dislike for the outcome and also for the mechanisms he's used since 9/11 to solidify his domestic support does not change their reality.

                Mark

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2002

                  Dear Mark and also Paul,

                  Thanks for the response to my election numbers. Mark you were able to
                  very succinctly summarize several of my thoughts regarding the
                  situation. And Paul, thanks for the electoral college reminder. If we
                  as an electorate had not been so evenly divided, the electoral college
                  input would have been mostly perfunctory.

                  I am, of course, disappointed at the manner the president and those who
                  closely support him are manipulating the situation. But I have been
                  around long enough to know that the world is mostly run by well
                  organized minority groups, be they dictators with a small army, or
                  republicans with apparent support of 20-40 percent of the electorate.

                  Later,

                  Vyrle