RE: [ujeni] trying again

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
      Smaller country so shorter trips, perhaps?

      >>> holland@... 11/8/02 12:29 PM >>>
      According to this little book that The Economist sends to all its
      subscribers each year, the countries I listed are the top five, which
      would mean that RSA is lower I guess. It may be a side effect of the
      measurement unit: per 100m vehicle-km. If people in Malawi travel less
      and there are fewer vehicles, there will be fewer total vehicle-kms,
      which will boost up the rate. It'd be interesting to get the rates per
      person per year, or just total number of fatalities in a year, but I
      don't have that information.

      From: holland@... <holland@...>
      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 7:58 PM
      Subject: [ujeni] trying again

      >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about
      this
      one. Can it be true as printed?

      >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
      vehicle-km

      >Malawi 1117
      >India 65
      >Egypt 44
      >Kenya 41
      >Latvia 25
      >
      >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in
      the
      world?

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Christine West
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002

        Hello all!,

        Just to let everybody know, Crisis Corps gave me a call to see if I wanted to work on a 6 month project with Unicef dealing with a Cholera outbreak program in Lilongwe.  They are looking for people in the health field to work as part of a 10 person team.  I imagine most people are busy with work, graduate school and/or family obligations as I am, but I thought I'd  put the information out there.

        Contact Michele Giselli, mghiselli@... or 1-800-424-8580, x2260 if you are interested.

        Christine

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
          The more you work in "countries en route to development", and you see how
          much of "The Lords of Poverty" rings true, you begin to lose faith in man's
          (as a race or genus...not sexist) ability to help his fellow man, not that
          everyone should be selfless, but if only half the polpulation could help one
          person each, then everyone woould be helped!

          Simplistic, yes...but if people can sometimes think of others (while
          thinking of him/herself) and do a bit of good, then we would be better off.

          Paul's Pablum of the day...

          >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about this
          one. Can it be true as printed?

          >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
          vehicle-km

          >Malawi 1117
          >India 65
          >Egypt 44
          >Kenya 41
          >Latvia 25
          >
          >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in the
          world?

          >Mark

        • Kristof Nordin
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 11, 2002
            From: Christine Chumbler <cchumble@...>
            To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:59 AM

            Also, I think I remember hearing that
            >Malawi's traffic deaths have increased in recent years as the roads
            >continue to deteriorate.>

            Hey all, I'm finally back from a long trip to the USA and I'm slowly wading
            through e-mail backlogs in no particular order. I would have to disagree
            with this comment about roads continuing to deteriorate, the roads have
            improved tremendously over the past 5 years - and maybe that is the true
            problem? Better roads, faster speeds? Definitely more and more cars. Who
            knows the real causes.

            Stacia
          • Vyrle Owens
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

              Dear all,

              Mark tried to get a response to foreign aid and traffic fatality rates.
              Sorry I am not up to date on foreign aid. My opinion is there is little
              relationship between money aid and either economic, social, or
              "democratic" development.

              As to traffic fatality rates, I was aware of the extremely high fatality
              rates in Malawi (and other places in Southern Africa) when I was in
              Malawi. Not that anyone actually paid much attention to the statistics,
              but you can understand a little more about why I was so reluctant to
              have PCVs traveling around the country. I thought we were all safer at
              home (in Malawi).

              Now to a new set of numbers:

              Perhaps we could call this "Republican Presidential Mandate???"

              According to the census there were 281,421,906 people in the United
              States in the year 2000. http://factfinder.census.gov

              Of these people about 220 million are younger than the president and 60
              million are older (give or take a few million)

              Of these people 205,815,000 are of voting age.
              http://www.fec.gov/pages/2000turnout/reg&to00.htm
              Basically everyone over the age of 18.

              Of the voting age population approximately 15 million are not eligible
              to vote. Non citizens and others, including 1.2 -1.5 million felons.

              Of the voting age population 156,421,311 were registered to vote in the
              2000 general election. Of the registered voters 105,586,274 cast a
              ballot. Some 2% did not vote for president

              Now, of interest to note, there were 16 candidates for the office of
              President on the ballot someplace. This varied by state. There were
              also miscellaneous write-in votes.

              According to http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/2000presgeresults.htm there were
              105,405,100 votes cast for the office of president.

              George Bush received 50,456,002 votes (47.87%).

              Al Gore received 50,999,897 votes (48.38%).

              All other candidates received the balance. (3.75%)

              "Miscellaneous write-in", "none of these candidates", blank, and void
              votes, numbering 138,216 were not included in some totals.

              Now to the question (maybe this is a riddle).

              In our "democratic" government of the people, by the people, for the
              people, who won the presidency?

              And

              Who in the executive branch, legislative branch, or the judicial branch
              of our representative republic really represents the people?

              Thanks for your thoughtful replies,

              Vyrle

              PS. By the way, feel free to ask and answer any other question that
              comes to mind.

              I also have some traffic fatality numbers to stimulate conversation at a
              near future date.

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

                Dear Rand,

                Dolly finally has her own email address and would like to subscribe to
                the ujeni. Would you be kind enough to instruct her?

                dollyowens@...

                Thanks,

                Vyrle
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                  That one is easy: Bush won, for the plain reason that we use the electoral
                  college, and do not have the popular vote.

                  Some wish to return to the popular vote, but they too are missing the point.
                  Barely half of the eligible people voted, so neither candidate had a
                  "majority" per se, but a majority of the votes cast. There is quite a
                  difference. Once could argue that the eal winner wa "no one", in the NO ONE
                  received the largest vote of "present <in the country>, but not voting"

                • Holland, Mark
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                    I think the question of mandate has been largely obviated: Bush was elected without any mandate whatsoever, he proceeded to ignore that fact completely and govern as if he had the undivided support of the nation, and in the midterm elections the American people granted him exactly the authority he sought. So clearly Bush won the election: it just took him 2 extra years to do it. My dislike for the outcome and also for the mechanisms he's used since 9/11 to solidify his domestic support does not change their reality.

                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2002

                      Dear Mark and also Paul,

                      Thanks for the response to my election numbers. Mark you were able to
                      very succinctly summarize several of my thoughts regarding the
                      situation. And Paul, thanks for the electoral college reminder. If we
                      as an electorate had not been so evenly divided, the electoral college
                      input would have been mostly perfunctory.

                      I am, of course, disappointed at the manner the president and those who
                      closely support him are manipulating the situation. But I have been
                      around long enough to know that the world is mostly run by well
                      organized minority groups, be they dictators with a small army, or
                      republicans with apparent support of 20-40 percent of the electorate.

                      Later,

                      Vyrle