Re: [ujeni] trying again

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
      Kenya has just started an education program for mini bus drivers, trying
      to get them to mend their evil ways. A long shot, but worth a try.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2381609.stm

      Mark, did your source have info on South Africa's traffic death rate?
      It's right up near the top too. Also, I think I remember hearing that
      Malawi's traffic deaths have increased in recent years as the roads
      continue to deteriorate.

      >>> weber@... 11/8/02 11:13 AM >>>
      Hey Mark...It isn't this one that spurs me to action here...but yee
      gods,
      what a statistic and to think I felt safer riding in Malawi than in
      collective taxi hurtling down a hill in Jamaica or on a bus flying
      around
      mountain curves in the middle of the road in Ecuador! Little did I
      know. I
      remember Danny Smith, one of our group's trainers, saying he didn't
      like
      express buses because they went too fast and that the locals were more
      his
      speed. But about your aid statistics, I'm speechless! Have been
      for
      years. I've known about some of Christine's information for for a long
      time
      from a friend who worked for USAID and lobbied Congress for their aid
      budget. He became a cynic just like Paul... Really, what can one
      say, or
      more importantly do? Cathy

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
        According to this little book that The Economist sends to all its subscribers each year, the countries I listed are the top five, which would mean that RSA is lower I guess. It may be a side effect of the measurement unit: per 100m vehicle-km. If people in Malawi travel less and there are fewer vehicles, there will be fewer total vehicle-kms, which will boost up the rate. It'd be interesting to get the rates per person per year, or just total number of fatalities in a year, but I don't have that information.

        >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about
        this
        one. Can it be true as printed?

        >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
        vehicle-km

        >Malawi 1117
        >India 65
        >Egypt 44
        >Kenya 41
        >Latvia 25
        >
        >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in
        the
        world?

        >Mark
        >

        >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about
          this
          one. Can it be true as printed?

          >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
          vehicle-km

          >Malawi 1117
          >India 65
          >Egypt 44
          >Kenya 41
          >Latvia 25
          >
          >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in
          the
          world?

          >Mark
          >

          >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Christine West
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002

            Hello all!,

            Just to let everybody know, Crisis Corps gave me a call to see if I wanted to work on a 6 month project with Unicef dealing with a Cholera outbreak program in Lilongwe.  They are looking for people in the health field to work as part of a 10 person team.  I imagine most people are busy with work, graduate school and/or family obligations as I am, but I thought I'd  put the information out there.

            Contact Michele Giselli, mghiselli@... or 1-800-424-8580, x2260 if you are interested.

            Christine

            Do you Yahoo!?
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
              The more you work in "countries en route to development", and you see how
              much of "The Lords of Poverty" rings true, you begin to lose faith in man's
              (as a race or genus...not sexist) ability to help his fellow man, not that
              everyone should be selfless, but if only half the polpulation could help one
              person each, then everyone woould be helped!

              Simplistic, yes...but if people can sometimes think of others (while
              thinking of him/herself) and do a bit of good, then we would be better off.

              Paul's Pablum of the day...

              >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about this
              one. Can it be true as printed?

              >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
              vehicle-km

              >Malawi 1117
              >India 65
              >Egypt 44
              >Kenya 41
              >Latvia 25
              >
              >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in the
              world?

              >Mark

            • Kristof Nordin
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 11, 2002
                From: Christine Chumbler <cchumble@...>
                To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:59 AM

                Also, I think I remember hearing that
                >Malawi's traffic deaths have increased in recent years as the roads
                >continue to deteriorate.>

                Hey all, I'm finally back from a long trip to the USA and I'm slowly wading
                through e-mail backlogs in no particular order. I would have to disagree
                with this comment about roads continuing to deteriorate, the roads have
                improved tremendously over the past 5 years - and maybe that is the true
                problem? Better roads, faster speeds? Definitely more and more cars. Who
                knows the real causes.

                Stacia
              • Vyrle Owens
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

                  Dear all,

                  Mark tried to get a response to foreign aid and traffic fatality rates.
                  Sorry I am not up to date on foreign aid. My opinion is there is little
                  relationship between money aid and either economic, social, or
                  "democratic" development.

                  As to traffic fatality rates, I was aware of the extremely high fatality
                  rates in Malawi (and other places in Southern Africa) when I was in
                  Malawi. Not that anyone actually paid much attention to the statistics,
                  but you can understand a little more about why I was so reluctant to
                  have PCVs traveling around the country. I thought we were all safer at
                  home (in Malawi).

                  Now to a new set of numbers:

                  Perhaps we could call this "Republican Presidential Mandate???"

                  According to the census there were 281,421,906 people in the United
                  States in the year 2000. http://factfinder.census.gov

                  Of these people about 220 million are younger than the president and 60
                  million are older (give or take a few million)

                  Of these people 205,815,000 are of voting age.
                  http://www.fec.gov/pages/2000turnout/reg&to00.htm
                  Basically everyone over the age of 18.

                  Of the voting age population approximately 15 million are not eligible
                  to vote. Non citizens and others, including 1.2 -1.5 million felons.

                  Of the voting age population 156,421,311 were registered to vote in the
                  2000 general election. Of the registered voters 105,586,274 cast a
                  ballot. Some 2% did not vote for president

                  Now, of interest to note, there were 16 candidates for the office of
                  President on the ballot someplace. This varied by state. There were
                  also miscellaneous write-in votes.

                  According to http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/2000presgeresults.htm there were
                  105,405,100 votes cast for the office of president.

                  George Bush received 50,456,002 votes (47.87%).

                  Al Gore received 50,999,897 votes (48.38%).

                  All other candidates received the balance. (3.75%)

                  "Miscellaneous write-in", "none of these candidates", blank, and void
                  votes, numbering 138,216 were not included in some totals.

                  Now to the question (maybe this is a riddle).

                  In our "democratic" government of the people, by the people, for the
                  people, who won the presidency?

                  And

                  Who in the executive branch, legislative branch, or the judicial branch
                  of our representative republic really represents the people?

                  Thanks for your thoughtful replies,

                  Vyrle

                  PS. By the way, feel free to ask and answer any other question that
                  comes to mind.

                  I also have some traffic fatality numbers to stimulate conversation at a
                  near future date.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

                    Dear Rand,

                    Dolly finally has her own email address and would like to subscribe to
                    the ujeni. Would you be kind enough to instruct her?

                    dollyowens@...

                    Thanks,

                    Vyrle
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                      That one is easy: Bush won, for the plain reason that we use the electoral
                      college, and do not have the popular vote.

                      Some wish to return to the popular vote, but they too are missing the point.
                      Barely half of the eligible people voted, so neither candidate had a
                      "majority" per se, but a majority of the votes cast. There is quite a
                      difference. Once could argue that the eal winner wa "no one", in the NO ONE
                      received the largest vote of "present <in the country>, but not voting"

                    • Holland, Mark
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                        I think the question of mandate has been largely obviated: Bush was elected without any mandate whatsoever, he proceeded to ignore that fact completely and govern as if he had the undivided support of the nation, and in the midterm elections the American people granted him exactly the authority he sought. So clearly Bush won the election: it just took him 2 extra years to do it. My dislike for the outcome and also for the mechanisms he's used since 9/11 to solidify his domestic support does not change their reality.

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 5, 2002

                          Dear Mark and also Paul,

                          Thanks for the response to my election numbers. Mark you were able to
                          very succinctly summarize several of my thoughts regarding the
                          situation. And Paul, thanks for the electoral college reminder. If we
                          as an electorate had not been so evenly divided, the electoral college
                          input would have been mostly perfunctory.

                          I am, of course, disappointed at the manner the president and those who
                          closely support him are manipulating the situation. But I have been
                          around long enough to know that the world is mostly run by well
                          organized minority groups, be they dictators with a small army, or
                          republicans with apparent support of 20-40 percent of the electorate.

                          Later,

                          Vyrle