trying again

  • holland@panasas.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
      Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about this one. Can it be true as printed?

      Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m vehicle-km

      Malawi 1117
      India 65
      Egypt 44
      Kenya 41
      Latvia 25

      Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in the world?

      Mark
    • Weber
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
        Hey Mark...It isn't this one that spurs me to action here...but yee gods,
        what a statistic and to think I felt safer riding in Malawi than in a
        collective taxi hurtling down a hill in Jamaica or on a bus flying around
        mountain curves in the middle of the road in Ecuador! Little did I know. I
        remember Danny Smith, one of our group's trainers, saying he didn't like
        express buses because they went too fast and that the locals were more his
        speed. But about your aid statistics, I'm speechless! Have been for
        years. I've known about some of Christine's information for for a long time
        from a friend who worked for USAID and lobbied Congress for their aid
        budget. He became a cynic just like Paul... Really, what can one say, or
        more importantly do? Cathy

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
          Kenya has just started an education program for mini bus drivers, trying
          to get them to mend their evil ways. A long shot, but worth a try.
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2381609.stm

          Mark, did your source have info on South Africa's traffic death rate?
          It's right up near the top too. Also, I think I remember hearing that
          Malawi's traffic deaths have increased in recent years as the roads
          continue to deteriorate.

          >>> weber@... 11/8/02 11:13 AM >>>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
            According to this little book that The Economist sends to all its subscribers each year, the countries I listed are the top five, which would mean that RSA is lower I guess. It may be a side effect of the measurement unit: per 100m vehicle-km. If people in Malawi travel less and there are fewer vehicles, there will be fewer total vehicle-kms, which will boost up the rate. It'd be interesting to get the rates per person per year, or just total number of fatalities in a year, but I don't have that information.

            >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about
            this
            one. Can it be true as printed?

            >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
            vehicle-km

            >Malawi 1117
            >India 65
            >Egypt 44
            >Kenya 41
            >Latvia 25
            >
            >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in
            the
            world?

            >Mark
            >

            >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about
              this
              one. Can it be true as printed?

              >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
              vehicle-km

              >Malawi 1117
              >India 65
              >Egypt 44
              >Kenya 41
              >Latvia 25
              >
              >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in
              the
              world?

              >Mark
              >

              >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Christine West
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002

                Hello all!,

                Just to let everybody know, Crisis Corps gave me a call to see if I wanted to work on a 6 month project with Unicef dealing with a Cholera outbreak program in Lilongwe.  They are looking for people in the health field to work as part of a 10 person team.  I imagine most people are busy with work, graduate school and/or family obligations as I am, but I thought I'd  put the information out there.

                Contact Michele Giselli, mghiselli@... or 1-800-424-8580, x2260 if you are interested.

                Christine

                Do you Yahoo!?
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
                  The more you work in "countries en route to development", and you see how
                  much of "The Lords of Poverty" rings true, you begin to lose faith in man's
                  (as a race or genus...not sexist) ability to help his fellow man, not that
                  everyone should be selfless, but if only half the polpulation could help one
                  person each, then everyone woould be helped!

                  Simplistic, yes...but if people can sometimes think of others (while
                  thinking of him/herself) and do a bit of good, then we would be better off.

                  Paul's Pablum of the day...

                  >Ok, that one seems to have failed to spark much interest. How about this
                  one. Can it be true as printed?

                  >Number of people killed in traffic accidents of all types, per 100m
                  vehicle-km

                  >Malawi 1117
                  >India 65
                  >Egypt 44
                  >Kenya 41
                  >Latvia 25
                  >
                  >Malawi has 15 times the vehicle death rate of any other country in the
                  world?

                  >Mark

                • Kristof Nordin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 11, 2002
                    From: Christine Chumbler <cchumble@...>
                    To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Friday, November 08, 2002 8:59 AM

                    Also, I think I remember hearing that
                    >Malawi's traffic deaths have increased in recent years as the roads
                    >continue to deteriorate.>

                    Hey all, I'm finally back from a long trip to the USA and I'm slowly wading
                    through e-mail backlogs in no particular order. I would have to disagree
                    with this comment about roads continuing to deteriorate, the roads have
                    improved tremendously over the past 5 years - and maybe that is the true
                    problem? Better roads, faster speeds? Definitely more and more cars. Who
                    knows the real causes.

                    Stacia
                  • Vyrle Owens
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

                      Dear all,

                      Mark tried to get a response to foreign aid and traffic fatality rates.
                      Sorry I am not up to date on foreign aid. My opinion is there is little
                      relationship between money aid and either economic, social, or
                      "democratic" development.

                      As to traffic fatality rates, I was aware of the extremely high fatality
                      rates in Malawi (and other places in Southern Africa) when I was in
                      Malawi. Not that anyone actually paid much attention to the statistics,
                      but you can understand a little more about why I was so reluctant to
                      have PCVs traveling around the country. I thought we were all safer at
                      home (in Malawi).

                      Now to a new set of numbers:

                      Perhaps we could call this "Republican Presidential Mandate???"

                      According to the census there were 281,421,906 people in the United
                      States in the year 2000. http://factfinder.census.gov

                      Of these people about 220 million are younger than the president and 60
                      million are older (give or take a few million)

                      Of these people 205,815,000 are of voting age.
                      http://www.fec.gov/pages/2000turnout/reg&to00.htm
                      Basically everyone over the age of 18.

                      Of the voting age population approximately 15 million are not eligible
                      to vote. Non citizens and others, including 1.2 -1.5 million felons.

                      Of the voting age population 156,421,311 were registered to vote in the
                      2000 general election. Of the registered voters 105,586,274 cast a
                      ballot. Some 2% did not vote for president

                      Now, of interest to note, there were 16 candidates for the office of
                      President on the ballot someplace. This varied by state. There were
                      also miscellaneous write-in votes.

                      According to http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/2000presgeresults.htm there were
                      105,405,100 votes cast for the office of president.

                      George Bush received 50,456,002 votes (47.87%).

                      Al Gore received 50,999,897 votes (48.38%).

                      All other candidates received the balance. (3.75%)

                      "Miscellaneous write-in", "none of these candidates", blank, and void
                      votes, numbering 138,216 were not included in some totals.

                      Now to the question (maybe this is a riddle).

                      In our "democratic" government of the people, by the people, for the
                      people, who won the presidency?

                      And

                      Who in the executive branch, legislative branch, or the judicial branch
                      of our representative republic really represents the people?

                      Thanks for your thoughtful replies,

                      Vyrle

                      PS. By the way, feel free to ask and answer any other question that
                      comes to mind.

                      I also have some traffic fatality numbers to stimulate conversation at a
                      near future date.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002

                        Dear Rand,

                        Dolly finally has her own email address and would like to subscribe to
                        the ujeni. Would you be kind enough to instruct her?

                        dollyowens@...

                        Thanks,

                        Vyrle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                          That one is easy: Bush won, for the plain reason that we use the electoral
                          college, and do not have the popular vote.

                          Some wish to return to the popular vote, but they too are missing the point.
                          Barely half of the eligible people voted, so neither candidate had a
                          "majority" per se, but a majority of the votes cast. There is quite a
                          difference. Once could argue that the eal winner wa "no one", in the NO ONE
                          received the largest vote of "present <in the country>, but not voting"

                        • Holland, Mark
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                            I think the question of mandate has been largely obviated: Bush was elected without any mandate whatsoever, he proceeded to ignore that fact completely and govern as if he had the undivided support of the nation, and in the midterm elections the American people granted him exactly the authority he sought. So clearly Bush won the election: it just took him 2 extra years to do it. My dislike for the outcome and also for the mechanisms he's used since 9/11 to solidify his domestic support does not change their reality.

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 5, 2002

                              Dear Mark and also Paul,

                              Thanks for the response to my election numbers. Mark you were able to
                              very succinctly summarize several of my thoughts regarding the
                              situation. And Paul, thanks for the electoral college reminder. If we
                              as an electorate had not been so evenly divided, the electoral college
                              input would have been mostly perfunctory.

                              I am, of course, disappointed at the manner the president and those who
                              closely support him are manipulating the situation. But I have been
                              around long enough to know that the world is mostly run by well
                              organized minority groups, be they dictators with a small army, or
                              republicans with apparent support of 20-40 percent of the electorate.

                              Later,

                              Vyrle