well, that was fun

  • holland@panasas.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
      that was an interesting discussion. let's see if i can spark another one.

      The list of top recipients of aid bears no strong resemblance to the list of poorest countries in the world (by one measure). Discuss in an 800-word essay for Friday. Don't forget about the midterm next week and the bibliography for your term paper, due at the same time.

      Top recipients of bilateral and multilateral aid:
      China $1.7b, Indonesia, Vietnam, Russia, India, Poland, Egypt, Bangladesh, Serbia & Montenegro, Tanzania $1.0b, Mozambique 876m, Uganda, Israel $810m, Zambia, Bosnia, Pakistan, Ethiopia, Thailand, West Bank & Gaza, Ghana, Philippines, Nicaragua, Jordan, Ukraine, Kenya, S. Africa, Bolivia, Hondura, Malawi ($445m)

      Lowest GDB per head:
      Burundi $100/year, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Myanmar, Eritrea, Malawi ($160), Tajikistan, Liberia, Niger, Chad, Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mozambique, Rwanda, Bhutan, Nepal, Madgascar, Cambodia, CAR ($260)
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        This won't be an 800 word essay, but I had always understood that
        Israel, Egypt and Columbia were the big 3 US aid recipients. Or were
        you not talking strictly about US aid?

        >>> holland@... 11/5/02 10:30 PM >>>

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
          The numbers come from The Economist again. Not sure, but if I'm interpreting "bilateral and multilateral" correctly, they represent total aid public-sector aid received by the named country from all other countries combined.

          -M

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
            That is appeasement aid, I am not sure if it counts as development...I do
            not see how military items can help a nation develop...