Re: [ujeni] life expectancy

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
      Oh, and Cathy, I AM the cynic that keeps the world going...except that
      sometimes your hubby keeps me in check...

      It would be nice if we could make people understand that throwing money AND
      constructive programs would help, not just money, and nnot just grass roots
      education programs...

      All these combined would help us in the end...

      Did I tell you about the time we went to Timbuktou?????

      Surf the Web without missing calls!�Get MSN Broadband.
    • Luz Huntington
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
        Cathy and Scott make some good points. For me, after reading these emails,
        the only thing I can think about is how I wish people in African nations,
        the United States and all over would use condoms more. Its such a cheap way
        to prevent AIDS and its aftermath.

        Luz

        >From: "Weber" <weber@...>
        >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
        >Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:23 -0800
        >
        >Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
        >terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
        >ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
        >sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of AIDS?)
        >Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
        >Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
        >was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
        >Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he
        >taught
        >in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
        >Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So
        >maybe
        >if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
        >some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I suspect
        >that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
        >while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
        >civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the only
        >people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
        >southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the accountant
        >you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy
        >

        >From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>
        >
        > >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US
        >and
        > >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
        > >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
        > >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...
        >
        > >From: holland@...
        >
        > >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
        >lowest
        > >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part
        >of
        > >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
        > >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
        > >
        > >-M

        Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.� Join now!
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
          Good point, too...however, I remember FSNs telling me about the local
          hospitals which would reuse needles for shots, and not all the time
          sterilize them.

          Also, I am not sure how many transfusions go on in Malawi or elsewhere, so
          that is another source of AIDS...

          Cathy and Scott make some good points. For me, after reading these emails,
          the only thing I can think about is how I wish people in African nations,
          the United States and all over would use condoms more. Its such a cheap way
          to prevent AIDS and its aftermath.

          Luz

          >From: "Weber" <weber@...>
          >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
          >Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:23 -0800
          >
          >Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
          >terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
          >ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
          >sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of
          AIDS?)
          >Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
          >Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
          >was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
          >Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he
          >taught
          >in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
          >Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So
          >maybe
          >if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
          >some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I
          suspect
          >that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
          >while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
          >civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the
          only
          >people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
          >southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the
          accountant
          >you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy
          >

          >From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>
          >
          > >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US
          >and
          > >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
          > >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
          > >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...
          >
          > >From: holland@...
          >
          > >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
          >lowest
          > >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part
          >of
          > >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
          > >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
          > >
          > >-M

          Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
            Life expectancy in Botswana was pushing 70 years before AIDS. Also, PC
            is planning to go back into that country as part of Bush's doubling the
            size of the agency hoohaw.

            >>> weber@... 11/2/02 11:30 PM >>>

            From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
              Does that bode well or not:

              1. It is an indicator of politics (which I thought PC was above...)

              2. PC failed (by not putting systems in place to keep it running properly
              after departure.)

              3. PC left (along with other agencies a culture of dependence a la "Lords of
              Poverty")

              4. AIDS is taking over.

              I like none of these selections...

              From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>