Re: [ujeni] life expectancy

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
      terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
      ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
      sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of AIDS?)
      Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
      Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
      was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
      Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he taught
      in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
      Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So maybe
      if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
      some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I suspect
      that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
      while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
      civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the only
      people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
      southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the accountant
      you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy

      From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>

      >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US and
      >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
      >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
      >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...

      >From: holland@...

      >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the lowest
      >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part of
      >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
      >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
      >
      >-M
    • Scott Geibel

        From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
          Mismanagement also accounts for a fair share of corruption. If all
          goverrment dependents had to go to the local hospitals and wait in line, and
          had to go to the public schools, and had the same access to everything as
          the regular Mr. Phiri did, then many of these peoblems would have been
          solved, yes even AIDS could be under control....coz they would have made
          sure that if they could not get their kids to SAfrica to get the AZT and
          such, that they would teach them about prophylaxis...

          From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>

          >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US and
          >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
          >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
          >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...

          >From: holland@...

          >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
          lowest
          >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part of
          >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
          >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
          >
          >-M

          Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
            Oh, and Cathy, I AM the cynic that keeps the world going...except that
            sometimes your hubby keeps me in check...

            It would be nice if we could make people understand that throwing money AND
            constructive programs would help, not just money, and nnot just grass roots
            education programs...

            All these combined would help us in the end...

            Did I tell you about the time we went to Timbuktou?????

            Surf the Web without missing calls!�Get MSN Broadband.
          • Luz Huntington
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
              Cathy and Scott make some good points. For me, after reading these emails,
              the only thing I can think about is how I wish people in African nations,
              the United States and all over would use condoms more. Its such a cheap way
              to prevent AIDS and its aftermath.

              Luz

              >From: "Weber" <weber@...>
              >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
              >Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:23 -0800
              >
              >Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
              >terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
              >ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
              >sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of AIDS?)
              >Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
              >Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
              >was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
              >Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he
              >taught
              >in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
              >Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So
              >maybe
              >if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
              >some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I suspect
              >that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
              >while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
              >civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the only
              >people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
              >southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the accountant
              >you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy
              >

              >From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>
              >
              > >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US
              >and
              > >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
              > >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
              > >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...
              >
              > >From: holland@...
              >
              > >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
              >lowest
              > >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part
              >of
              > >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
              > >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
              > >
              > >-M

              Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.� Join now!
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2002
                Good point, too...however, I remember FSNs telling me about the local
                hospitals which would reuse needles for shots, and not all the time
                sterilize them.

                Also, I am not sure how many transfusions go on in Malawi or elsewhere, so
                that is another source of AIDS...

                Cathy and Scott make some good points. For me, after reading these emails,
                the only thing I can think about is how I wish people in African nations,
                the United States and all over would use condoms more. Its such a cheap way
                to prevent AIDS and its aftermath.

                Luz

                >From: "Weber" <weber@...>
                >To: <ujeni@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [ujeni] life expectancy
                >Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:23 -0800
                >
                >Hey Paul you are not only a cynic but an accountant, hence you think in
                >terms of money. The cause of the almost inconceivably low life expectancy
                >ages of course is AIDS, and isn't Botswana one of the more economically
                >sound countries on the continent? (or wasn't it until the scourge of
                AIDS?)
                >Do we give it as much aid as other countries? In fact, did I hear Peace
                >Corps maybe wasn't going to go or isn't there anymore because the country
                >was doing so well? We met a Peace Corps worker from Botswana on Zomba
                >Plateau who said that they had more text books in the school where he
                >taught
                >in the Okovango Delta than he had had in his school in the U.S. But there
                >Botswana is at the top , or should that be bottom, of Mark's list. So
                >maybe
                >if we made it so that more AIDS drugs could be affordably available with
                >some of those dollars we spend, the life expectancy would go up. I
                suspect
                >that corrupt politicians have access to drugs and they will live forever
                >while the countries lose their teachers, their really good hard-working
                >civil servants, their health care workers, and their businessmen...the
                only
                >people who can help lift the cloud of doom that seems to hang over the
                >southern continent. I forgive you, Paul, for behaving like the
                accountant
                >you are but not for being an inveterate cynic! Cathy
                >

                >From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>
                >
                > >The cynic in me cries for an accounting of all the dollars spent in US
                >and
                > >other foreign aid money to these countries, then compare it to other
                > >countries on the continent and see why the stark difference, and why the
                > >continued dumping of money as well as tolerance of the disparity...
                >
                > >From: holland@...
                >
                > >an interesting factoid from The Economist: the 10 countries with the
                >lowest
                > >average life expectancies are all in africa and almost all in "our part
                >of
                > >africa": botswana (36.1 years) , mozambique, swaziland, malawi (39.3),
                > >lesotho, sierra leone, burundi, rwanda, zambia, zimbabwe (42.9).
                > >
                > >-M

                Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
                  Life expectancy in Botswana was pushing 70 years before AIDS. Also, PC
                  is planning to go back into that country as part of Bush's doubling the
                  size of the agency hoohaw.

                  >>> weber@... 11/2/02 11:30 PM >>>

                  From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
                    Does that bode well or not:

                    1. It is an indicator of politics (which I thought PC was above...)

                    2. PC failed (by not putting systems in place to keep it running properly
                    after departure.)

                    3. PC left (along with other agencies a culture of dependence a la "Lords of
                    Poverty")

                    4. AIDS is taking over.

                    I like none of these selections...

                    From: Paul DEVER <pcpaul@...>