news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Oct 30, 2002
      WFP Sending 30,000 Tonnes of Maize to Malawi

      The East African (Nairobi)
      October 28, 2002
      Posted to the web October 29, 2002

      J. Mwamunyange

      FACED WITH a food deficit of 200,000 tonnes, Malawi is set to receive
      30,000 tonnes of maize from the World Food Programme.

      The food will be transported from Dar es Salaam to Mbeya in the south
      by
      rail, before being loaded onto trucks bound for Malawi.

      Malawi is among six Southern African countries hit by a devastating
      famine
      following a prolonged drought that resulted in a poor harvest. The
      other
      countries are Mozambique, Lesotho, Angola, Zimbabwe and Zambia.

      Tanzania-Zambia Railway (Tazara) managing director Charles Phiri said
      last week in Dar es Salaam that the consignment would reach its
      destination in good time because of improvements in transportation.

      "We have already ferried about 4,790 tonnes of the yellow corn to
      Mbeya,
      from where they will be transported by road to Malawi," he said.

      The exercise commenced on October 19. He said the average time taken
      in getting the maize to Mbeya, some 850km away, was 48 hours. In order
      to complete the exercise in about 12 days, more than 400 wagons have
      been set aside.

      WFP logistics officer Lemma Jembere said that the UN agency needed
      more than 200,000 tonnes of cereals to meet the country's food
      requirements. The relief aid follows a $507 million appeal launched by
      the
      agency to provide relief to the six countries.

      "We have to move 200,000 tonnes, which is part of the contribution
      from
      the US. We expect more cargo to go through Dar, although other ports
      are
      also being used to move relief food," said Mr Jembere. He added, "We
      can
      work better and deliver the food in time if we get the same
      co-operation as
      Tazara has accorded us."

      The WFP official said that once the food arrived in Malawi, the WFP
      centres in Lilongwe, Blantyre, Mzuzu and Kasungu would distribute the
      maize worth $6 million. Mr Phiri said that Tazara, which has in the
      recent
      past been fighting stiff competition due to liberalisation, was also
      transporting bitumen for road construction in Mbeya region.

      "China Roads and Bridges Corporation has requested us to transport
      some 5,400 tonnes of bitumen, 4,272 tonnes of which has already been
      loaded on 113 wagons," he said. He said that the remaining 1,128
      tonnes
      would be transported on 23 wagons.

      Asked whether they would also transport maize to Zambia, where more
      than two million people face starvation, Mr Phiri said that Tazara had
      already transported some 40,000 tonnes of maize imported from Uganda
      to Zambia.

      "In spite of the fact that the maize had to be transhipped through
      Kidatu
      Yard, the average time for transporting the maize to Zambia was four
      days," said Mr Phiri.

      Zambia is the only Southern African country facing famine to have
      rejected
      genetically modified maize donated by the US government.

      *****

      Food Security Agricultural Schemes Introduced

      Malawi Insider (Blantyre)
      October 26, 2002
      Posted to the web October 28, 2002

      By By Staff Writer
      Blantyre, Malawi

      Crop diversification, irrigation and the expansion of a free farm
      input
      scheme for subsistence producers are among the measures being
      introduced by the government to boost food output next year.

      "We have embarked on a civic education campaign to teach our people to
      diversify their eating habits and move away from a total dependence on
      maize to tubers for example, and other foods like rice," says
      agriculture
      minister Aleke Banda

      He said the government was using social welfare workers in rural
      communities to spread the word on the value of drought-resistant crops
      like cassava over the staple maize, which is sensitive to climatic
      conditions.

      Most of Malawi's rice, produced along the shores of Lake Malawi, is
      exported to Zambia and Zimbabwe rather than consumed locally. Cassava
      is traditionally eaten in the Northern Region, but has not been
      effectively
      marketed in the rest of the country.

      Food security in Malawi has been undermined by two poor
      drought-related
      seasons, which have left more than 3.3 million in need of aid until
      next
      year's harvest in April/May.

      Although Malawi has an irrigation potential of 800,000 hectares, only
      56,000 hectares have been developed, and of those just 8,000 are in
      the
      hands of small-scale producers as opposed to commercial estate owners.
      "The problem is the poverty factor, our people cannot raise the capital
      for
      irrigation," said Banda. "But unless we do something about improving
      irrigation we will not get out of the problem of low food yields."

      To that end the government has joined the UN's Food and Agriculture
      Organisation in a project to provide 200,000 treadle pumps to poor
      rural
      families. "It will cost US$240 million to address the current food
      crisis.

      To buy 200,000 treadle pumps requires only US $80 million. It's a
      sensible
      investment to make," Banda said.

      The government had introduced a free agricultural "starter pack"
      scheme
      in 1998/1999 for rural households, which was scaled down under donor
      pressure to more effectively target the poorest farmers. In response to
      the
      current food crisis, the government intends to pay for the expansion of
      the
      programme to reach an extra one million farm families from the current
      donor-funded two million.

      The starter packs contain fertiliser, maize seed and beans to cover a
      modest 0.1 hectares. But according to Banda, the expansion of the
      programme would allow Malawi to hit a production level of 2.3 million
      metric tonnes of maize, which it last achieved in 1999/2000.

      Domestic food consumption needs are 1.8 million metric tonnes.

      "We have to run the starter packs for three years to allow people to
      recover from the impact of the famine following two successive bad
      seasons.

      People need to build up surpluses to earn enough money to pay for
      their
      own inputs. We certainly do not wish to continue endlessly with it,"
      explained Banda.

      *****

      Opposition Spokesperson Reverts to Old Position

      Malawi Insider (Blantyre)
      October 26, 2002
      Posted to the web October 28, 2002

      By Staff Reporter
      Blantyre, Malawi

      Lilongwe Bunda MP Beanton Kutsaira of the opposition Malawi Congress
      Party (MCP) has reverted to his old position as regional secretary for
      the
      centre, relinguishing his new post of publicity secretary saying he did
      not
      want to put himself on collision course with the High Court.

      In an interview, Kutsaira said he was no longer publicity secretary of
      the
      party following a High Court ruling nullifying the Lilongwe Convention
      held
      by the Tembo camp, which elected him as the party's president
      sidelining
      the incumbent Gwanda Chakuamba.

      "The Party Publicity Secretary is Nicholas Dausi. I am the regional
      secretary for the centre. Don't ask me why, it is the High Court which
      ruled," he said.

      He was referring to a ruling by the High Court a fortnight ago which
      convicted Tembo and fined him K200,000 or face a year in jail for
      contempt of court after he held the convention despite a court
      injunction
      stopping it.

      The party's secretary general Kate Kainja and Nkhotakota District
      Chairman Kamphanje Banda were also slapped with the K200,000 fine or
      one year jail term on the same charges.

      The three have since paid the fine.

      Kutsaira said he had to respect court orders just like any other
      Malawian.

      *****

      Donors Fuel Political Feud

      Malawi Insider (Blantyre)
      October 26, 2002
      Posted to the web October 28, 2002

      By Brian Ligomeka & Paul Kang'ombe
      Blantyre, Malawi

      The Malawi Standard has unearthed serious revelations that the
      Norwegian Church Aid is funding the Forum for the Defence of the
      Constitution (FDC) indirectly through the Public Affairs Committee
      contrary
      to foreign mission protocol of not interfering in internal political
      affairs of a
      host country as Paul Kang'ombe writes:

      Investigations show that some donor agencies and foreign missions are
      vigorously funding the crusade activities of the Forum for the Defence
      of
      the Constitution (FDC), the Public Affairs Committee (PAC), the Malawi
      Council of Churches (MCC), the Centre for Human Rights and Research,
      the Association of Christian Educators in Malawi, the Christian
      Service
      Committee (CSC), and the Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace
      (CCJP) to fight against the proposed Constitutional amendment to allow
      the country's presidents have three consecutive - five year term of
      office.

      The Norwegian Church Aid, which is just three months old in Malawi is
      receiving funding from the Norwegian government, some Nordic countries
      and private members to fund a programme disguised as Community
      Safety Empowerment. It claims that its objective is to look into
      trafficking of
      small arms and violence of all forms. However, this is mere
      camouflage.
      The truth is that the programme is aimed at destabilizing the peace
      and
      stability in the country by fanning conflict through campaigning
      against the
      Third Term Bill.

      Among other activities, the Norwegian Church Aid funds the NGOs to
      publish anti-Third Term posters and press releases, which are
      advertised
      in The Nation News and The Daily Times at the cost of about K30,000
      per
      full black page advert and they run for a week. The same organisation
      is
      also said to have funded the two Njamba inter-denominational prayers
      where the clergy denounced the Constitutional amendment on the Third
      Term Bill. In addition, the Norwegian Church Aid monitors and pays
      administration costs for the Forum for the Defence of the
      Constitution.

      This includes paying bills at the Grace Bandawe Conference Centre in
      Blantyre where the Forum regularly holds its meetings.

      Sources at PAC also revealed that the Norwegian Church Aid is
      assisting
      the Public Affairs Committee in its anti-Third Term crusade disguised
      as
      efforts of ensuring good governance and observance of human rights.

      "The Church approved our funding on condition that we speak against
      the
      presidential term extension," the PAC official said.

      The Norwergian Church Aid in collaboration with other partners have
      set
      conditions for the disbursement of the aid that include the unification
      of all
      opposition political parties in the run up to the 2004 elections.

      PAC has been charged with the responsibility to chair the formation of
      the
      common front for all opposition political parties through FDC.

      Public Affairs Committee Chairman, Reverend Constantine Kaswaya,
      disclosed recently in an interview that they had identified new donors,
      the
      Norwegian Church Aid, as new donors for their 'Community
      Empowerment programme' to replace the Danish Church Aid who pulled
      out last year.

      Harold Williams, FDC spokesperson disclosed that PAC as chairman of
      FDC is working on modalities to facilitate the formation of a common
      front
      for all member political organizations similar to that of Rainbow
      Alliance of
      Kenya to defeat the UDF in the 2004 polls.

      Commenting on the donations, NCA projects officer, Shenard Mazengera,
      said the organization facilitates the funding of various programmes
      carried
      out by a number of NGOs.

      He however said his organization does not directly fund human rights
      and
      good governance programmes as claimed by some people.

      "NCA funds the following NGOs: PAC, MCC, CHRR and ACEM in
      Community Safety Empowerment programmes where human rights and
      good governance are a component of the whole programme," he
      explained.

      He said Community Safety Empowerment is a programme that looks on
      issues like small arms trafficking and violence.

      Norwegian Church Aid is financed by the Norwegian Government and
      private members' contribution. The Church is an affiliate of the World
      Council of Churches and the Lutheran World Federation.

      In a similar development the United States Aid for International
      Development (USAID) is also said to be funding the Livingstonia Synod
      in
      its campaigns against the amendment of section 83 (3).

      The Livingstonia Synod has been conducting meetings and issuing
      pastoral letters in the Northern Region against the Third Term using
      USAID
      funds.

      USAID Mission Director to Malawi Roger Yochelson, distanced his
      organization from the allegations.

      Yochelson complained recently at a news conference in Blantyre that
      contrary to their Aid policy money meant for various social and health
      programmes such as reproductive health and HIV/AIDS prevention are
      diverted and instead used for anti-Third Term campaigns. He blamed
      some individuals in the Livingstonia CCAP Church of having personal
      interests in politics at the expense of the USAID.

      Yochelson said the Synod never asked for funding for anti-Third Term
      campaigns. He said his organisation does not meddle in internal
      politics,
      saying citizens decide on their own on matters concerning politics.

      "We have had a series of discussions with government, assuring it that
      USAID is here to assist in the development of this country and not
      politics. I
      can assure you that our relationship with government is good," he
      said.

      He noted that some church leaders from the Livingstonia Synod conduct
      development meetings in the afternoon with funding from USAID as per
      agreement and wondered why the very same people were diverting the
      funds for anti-Third Term campaigns during the night.

      Yochelson told non-governmental organisations that benefit from USAID
      in
      the country to strictly use the money for development work only and not
      for
      politics.

      "We have had meetings with the Synod and advised them to stop using
      our funds for a different mission rather than the intended purpose,"
      he
      explained.

      Livingstonia Synod officials could not be reached for comment.

      However, sources within the diplomatic community have confirmed that
      the American Embassy may be supporting the anti-Third Term crusade
      indirectly through USAID.

      Among some foreign missions' dignitaries that are said to be funding
      the
      anti-Third Term are the British High Commission's Michael Nevin and
      South African Embassy First Secretary for politics Elias Mokoena.

      Nevin is said to have bought a return air ticket for the National
      Democratic
      Alliance (NDA) leader Brown Mpinganjira to Europe recently.

      Mokoena is also reported to be interfering in the internal political
      affairs of
      Malawi by giving moral and financial support to the opposition through
      an
      organization called Pan African Civic Educators Network (Pace-Net).

      Pace-Net is also receiving aid from an undisclosed Canadian based NGO
      that deals in human rights and good governance. Rainb

      The organization is reported to have promised Pace-Net large sums of
      money in the run up to 2004 elections to publish fliers in English,
      Chichewa, Tumbuka, Sena, Nkhonde and Yao.

      A source in Lilongwe disclosed that a task force comprising
      journalists
      was identified to work on the programme.

      The Fliers, according to the source will be produced twice a week and
      distributed free in all the three regions of the country. "All the
      activities
      promoted by the foreign agencies in the name of development support
      through NGOs are misusing the taxpayers' money of their respective
      countries.

      They should work to help Malawi develop and preserve the peace and
      stability we are enjoying while appreciating that we have the right to
      make
      our own democratic choices without foreigners interfering in our
      internal
      affairs," remarked one businessman resident in Lilongwe.

      "NGOs and churches are not supposed to be responsible for political
      turbulence. Their challenge is how to assist the government in
      fighting
      AIDS, hunger, illiteracy, and how to provide poor people with clean
      water
      and so on. Foreign covert activities and operations will not help us at
      all. All
      we need and ask of them to practice in our country is clean direct
      diplomacy," said some concerned women.

      Donor interference in Malawi politics

      Although donors out of their own interest are covertly meddling in the
      political affairs of Malawi by encouraging opposition parties to unite
      and
      form a common front against the ruling United Democratic Front (UDF),
      confusion, divisions and the politics of mudslinging within the ranks
      of the
      opposition prevail because donors and churches have different
      interests.

      Donor agencies especially those from United Kingdom, Japan, and Nordic
      countries would like to see Mpinganjira as the next President. The
      reason
      for wishing to have Mpinganjira irrespective of his bad record is
      simple.

      They would like to use him as a puppet for destabilizing Southern
      African
      countries that believe in the ideals of Pan Africanism.

      After failing to use President Bakili Muluzi, President Joachim
      Chissano of
      Mozambique and the South African leader Thabo Mbeki to assist in
      ousting
      Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, one school of donors believes that
      Mpinganjira, who maintains a close political relationship with Morgan
      Tsvangirai, leader of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change in
      Zimbabwe, would be the right puppet to execute their colonialistic and
      undemocratic ambition.

      After using Mpinganjira (in the doubtful event that he wins the
      elections in
      2004), they would also set him to serve their interests by serving as
      the
      puppet in meddling with the political affairs of Uganda.

      The NDA- FDC Connection

      The donors were very uneasy when they heard that NDA would be banned.
      They therefore made several manoeuvres and urged Mpinagnjira's friends
      in the church - Reverend Daniel Gunya and others to form the Forum for
      the Defence of the Constitution (FDC) as an alternative to NDA in the
      event
      that it was banned. The FDC was therefore formed as a pressure group
      with the purpose that if the NDA is banned it should carry on with the
      activities of the National Democratic Alliance. For instance,
      campaigning
      that donors should freeze aid to Malawi in the name of human rights
      abuse. This also explains why the type of grouping that is in NDA is
      similar
      to the one that supports FDC.

      *****

      Southern Africa Bemoans Fall of Dollar

      Malawi Insider (Blantyre)
      October 26, 2002
      Posted to the web October 28, 2002

      By By Hobbs Gama
      Blantyre, Malawi

      THE ongoing political and economic crisis facing Zimbabwe once the
      most
      favoured investment destination after South Africa has not only
      affected the
      living standards among its citizens but cross-border trade as well.

      Acute shortage of foreign currency, notably the US dollar has seen
      companies collapsing while trading activities with neighbouring
      partners
      was hampered by the currency crisis.

      In the wake of the controversial land reform programme being pursued
      by
      President Robert Mugabe and the withholding of funding, coupled with
      severed international relations, Zimbabwe's economy nose-dived while
      foreign direct investment dwindled.

      Malawi, a close trading partner was among the first to feel the pinch.

      Malawi and Zimbabwe reviewed their bilateral trade pact signed in 1986
      in
      2000 after the former complained of trade imbalance.

      Trade was heavily tilted in favour of Zimbabwe: In 1999 for example,
      Zimbabwe exported to Malawi goods worth K3.9 billion while Malawi only
      exported K409 million worth of goods prompting Malawi to call for a
      trade
      agreement change.

      As a matter of harmonised relations the two have gone a step further
      planning to start using their respective currencies in carrying out
      their
      trading activities so that they do away with the US dollar once the
      globally
      trusted currency.

      Zimbabwe's minister of Industry and International Trade, Samuel
      Mumbengwegi, confirmed that the system to be introduced before the end
      of the year aims at using the Malawi Kwacha and the Zimbabwe dollar in
      conducting payment transactions and all trading.

      "We are looking at the possibility of using each other's currency. It
      does
      not make sense to use the US dollar when we have our own currencies at
      our disposal," says Mumbengwegi adding that his government had
      reached the decision following bilateral talks between parties from the
      two
      trading partners.

      Geoffrey Mkandawire, director of Commerce in the Ministry of Commerce
      and Trade confirmed of the move revealing that the economic crisis
      facing
      Zimbabwe prompted the Reserve Bank of Malawi (RBM) to sell the idea to
      its counterpart Zimbabwe Central Bank.

      "Quite a lot of businesses in Malawi have died because they were
      finding
      problems getting payments for their goods exported to Zimbabwe," say
      reports. The foreign currency crisis has also crippled many companies
      on
      foreign debts in Zimbabwe since 2000 forcing Malawian exporters seek
      official intervention.

      As at February last year, Zimbabwean firms owed Malawian exporters
      about U$455,000.

      Another problem facing the US dollar is the thriving black market with
      resultant action by authorities in the Southern African countries of
      Zambia,
      Zimbabwe and Malawi to check the illegal transaction of the dollar.

      The Malawi government, which suspended foreign imports since
      September 2001 to protect the local manufacturing industry, which was
      hit
      by over-flooded cheap products from the stronger economies of South
      Africa and Zimbabwe, is currently faced with the growing abuse of
      foreign
      currency.

      Malawian traders armed with the US dollar take advantage of the
      heavily
      depreciated Zimbabwe dollar defeating government's efforts to boost
      its
      currency.

      The traders buy in Zimbabwe such products as cooking oil, dairy and
      poultry products after getting the local currency. On the attractive
      parallel
      market: the US dollar trades at 350 Zimbabwe dollars on the illegal
      market,
      while it sells at 80 Malawi Kwacha.

      Malawi's commerce minister, Peter Kaleso has since promised the local
      business chiefs of a system to be put in place to protect the local
      industry.

      "All these are problems we encounter because of Zimbabwe's economic
      problems.

      For that we need to institute measures to protect our infant industry
      as well
      as currency," asserted Kaleso.

      The Zambian government too is cracking on traders doing business in US
      dollars warning businessmen they could face stern fine or jail as it
      strives
      to shore up its currency, the Zambian Kwacha now at a 20 percent
      inflation
      rate.

      Illegal shopkeepers and other business people are accepting the dollar
      in
      their trading flouting the law, which authorises recognised commercial
      banks to transact in the US dollar.

      Eugene Appel, Zambia's deputy minister of commerce warned recently
      that government has instituted a crackdown on the businesses waving
      aside claims by the traders who attribute to the troubled state of the
      local
      currency to excessive government spending and high inflation, which
      made the local currency unreliable with its devaluations.

      Indeed these are hard times for trading activities for Southern
      African
      countries, and of course the US dollar which until recently was the
      benchmark international currency. International investors have lost
      confidence in the strength of the American economy and are now looking
      elsewhere for safer havens.

      The US dollars apart from the 11 September 2001 attacks is weighed
      down by a combination of factors, which include investors' concerns
      over
      the vigour of the US economic recovery, eroding confidence in
      corporate
      America, equity meltdown caused by depressed outlook for corporate
      earnings, an unsuitable trade deficit and deteriorating fiscal
      position.

      Recently the IMF warned that America's bloated current account
      deficit,
      projected at between U$460-500 billion this year or 5 percent gross
      domestic product was one of the "significant risks' facing the world
      economy.

      As a rule when a country's external deficit hits 5 percent of GDP its
      currency tends to weaken.

      The US therefore needs to attract U$ 1.7 billion in overseas funds
      every
      working day in order to protect its currency from further downfall.

      *****

      Criticism of Zambia's GM
      decision

      Some 14 million are at risk of famine across the region
      A Zambian opposition party has criticised the
      government's decision to reject a donation of
      genetically-modified food aid for nearly three
      million of its people facing famine.

      A leader of the UPND opposition party,
      Saqwibo Sikota, told the BBC's Network Africa
      that there was no scientific evidence that
      such food was harmful for consumers.

      "We have a lot of GMO foods already coming
      into Zambia and it seems a bit hypocritical to
      say we can't have the GMO maize" he said.

      He said Zambia, like other countries in the
      region, could have asked for the maize to be
      milled beforehand, so that it could only be
      eaten and not planted.

      The Zambian Government announced on
      Tuesday that it would stick by its decision to
      reject the aid, following recommendations by a
      team of scientists that were despatched
      around the world to study the potential effects
      of importing GM crops.

      The food aid was initially offered by the
      international community to Zambia and five
      other Southern African countries, but President
      Levy Mwanawasa referred to the food as
      "poison".

      "In view of the current scientific uncertainty
      surrounding the issue... government has
      decided to base its decision not to accept GM
      foods in Zambia on the precautionary
      principle," Agriculture Minister Mundia Sikatana
      said.

      "The country should thus refrain from actions
      that might adversely affect human and animal
      health as well as harm the environment," he
      said.

      The BBC's reporter in Lusaka, Penny Dale, says
      the government's controversial decision has
      sparked a huge political row in Zambia.

      Needs

      World Food Programme Spokesman Richard Lee
      told the BBC that it would now be very difficult
      to meet the needs of the Zambian people.

      He said his
      organisation was
      already only able to
      feed half of the people
      in need, and would
      have to work hard to
      find non-GM food.

      The government would
      now ask the WFP to
      withdraw thousands of
      tonnes of US-donated
      grain that are in the
      country, Mr Sikatana
      said.

      The US has supplied most food aid for the
      WFP's appeal for Southern Africa, where about
      14 million people risk starvation.

      Zambia needs 21,000 tonnes of food aid a
      month to feed more than 2.5 million people in
      the drought-hit south of the country.

      *****

      Zimbabwe reinstates half of sacked
      teachers
      Harare
      28 October
      2002 10:53

      The Zimbabwe government has reinstated more than
      half the 627 teachers it
      dismissed two weeks ago for taking part in a strike,
      a newspaper reported
      on Monday.

      Education Minister Aeneas Chigwedere told the
      state-controlled Herald that
      less than 300 teachers had been charged for
      supporting a strike called by
      the Progressive Teachers Union of Zimbabwe (PTUZ)
      for better pay and
      dubbed illegal by the government.

      Zimbabwe's teachers are the lowest paid in the
      region. A high school
      teacher takes home 20 000 Zimbabwe dollars ($364) a
      month. The PTUZ
      demanded a 100% salary increase backdated to January
      and a 100% cost
      of living adjustment backdated to June.

      Salary increases for teachers are expected to be
      reflected in the national
      budget due next month, Chigwedere added. Raymond
      Majongwe, the
      secretary general of the PTUZ dismissed Chigwedere's
      comments as
      "public relations" and said the government was
      "hoodwinking the nation".

      He said that "over 400 teachers have been served
      with letters of suspension"
      and that classes in some schools had been severely
      disrupted.

      The suspension letters were intended to "intimidate
      the teachers into
      submission", Majongwe added. - Sapa-AFP

      *****

      Trade organisation slams child labour in
      Zambia
      Johannesburg
      25 October
      2002 12:56

      An international trade organisation on Friday
      condemned the serious and
      widespread use of child labour and the worsening
      workers' basic rights in
      Zambia.

      Children were still toiling in even the worst forms
      of child labour such as
      small scale mining operations, agriculture and stone
      crushing, the
      International Confederation of Free Trade Unions
      (ICFTU) said in a report released in Brussels.

      This was in contravention of two core conventions of
      the International Labour
      Organisation on child labour.

      "With children working in dangerous occupations
      including portering, street
      begging and domestic labour, child labour is a
      widespread problem in
      Zambia," the report said.

      The document was released to coincide with the World
      Trade Organisation
      (WTO) review of Zambia's trade policy. The WTO
      review was produced on
      October 23 to 25.

      The ICFTU represent 157-million workers in 225
      affiliated organisations in
      148 countries around the world. The ICFTU is also a
      member of Global
      Unions.

      The ICFTU report stated that there were reports of
      forced prostitution in
      Zambia, particularly of children. And women and
      children trafficking was rife,
      it said.

      "Many officials of municipal workers' trade unions
      have been dismissed for
      union activities.

      "Although the right to collective bargaining is
      recognised in law, and
      collective bargaining is relatively widespread in
      practice, a deteriorating
      situation as regards violation of basic workers'
      rights in the private sector,
      including by multinationals present in the country
      is also reported."

      The report said women were severely disadvantaged in
      both employment
      and education in Zambia, including in terms of lower
      remuneration and
      inferior conditions of employment for working
      women.

      "Without concerted efforts on behalf of the Zambian
      government to respect
      the eight core labour standards to which they have
      repeatedly agreed and
      with the scourge of Aids looming large, improvement
      for the beleaguered
      population looks distinctly far off," report said. -
      Sapa
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****