FW: NPR is looking for a "Diversity Mgr."

  • Kristen E Cheney
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2002

      Position Description

      Director of Diversity Management

      Background

      National Public Radio (NPR) is a nationally acclaimed provider of news,
      information and cultural programming. The mission of NPR is to work in
      partnership with member stations to create a more informed public - one
      challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of
      events, ideas and cultures. NPR is an independent, private, nonprofit
      organization. It produces high-quality news, information and cultural
      programs and distributes more than 160 hours of programming per week to 680
      public radio stations. NPR's programming reaches approximately 20 million
      listeners each week in the United States and more than 50 countries
      worldwide. Its primary operating areas are as follows:

      · NPR News: Deploying more the 250 professional reporters, editors,
      directors, producers, engineers, and managers, NPR News is a premier, 24
      hours a day, seven days a week news service. NPR calls upon the resources
      of 17 national bureaus throughout the United States, more than 150 member
      stations nationwide, and staff correspondents in 11 foreign bureaus in the
      world's major capitals. NPR's signature newsmagazines Morning Edition, All
      Things Considered and Weekend Edition, as well as its weekday national
      call-in program Talk of the Nation, all continue to boast substantial
      audience growth.

      · NPR Cultural Programming: NPR is dedicated to cultural expression and
      exploration through its various music, talk and entertainment programs.
      Over six million people turn to NPR to experience the comedy, concerts and
      conversations that fill public radio airwaves. NPR's most popular
      offerings in this area include Performance Today, Car Talk, and Wait Wait …
      Don't Tell Me!

      · NPR Multimedia: The internet and satellite radio have added even greater
      depth and diversity to NPR's on-air programming. NPR's web site attracts 1
      million unique visitors per month and more than seven million page views
      per month. In addition, NPR2 is ensuring that public radio has a place in
      the emerging area of satellite radio programming. Finally, NPR's shortwave
      services provide access to listeners almost anywhere in the world.

      NPR is a unique member organization funded primarily through its own
      service-gathering activities. NPR receives no direct general operating
      support from any national or local government source. Member stations
      provide 40% of operating revenue in the form of program fees for the local
      broadcast of NPR programs and in the form of membership dues for the
      support of NPR's advancement of the interests of public radio. NPR also
      depends on philanthropic and corporate funding and donations for 47% of its
      annual budget. Total revenues in 2001 were $113.3 million. The
      organization maintains a staff of over 700 employees.
      Public radio's roots go deep into the beginnings of American broadcasting.
      Many of the first radio stations were noncommercial "educational" stations
      established in the 1920's at colleges and universities. In 1967, Congress
      passed the Public Broadcasting Act, authorizing the creation of the
      Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). The Act called on CPB to
      encourage "the growth and development of noncommercial radio" and to
      develop "programming that will be responsive to the interests of the
      people." NPR was founded on February 24, 1970 as a private, non-profit
      organization to provide leadership in national newsgathering and production
      and to provide the first permanent nationwide interconnection of
      non-commercial stations. In its 30 years, NPR has won every major award in
      journalism for news and cultural programming in America.
      Current Situation
      Since its founding, NPR has evolved from a small and relatively homogeneous
      organization into one that includes a complex mix of more than 700 staff
      across the country and around the world. These individuals belong to
      different generations and represent different cultural histories, racial
      and sexual identities, educational backgrounds, personal habits,
      communications styles, spiritual beliefs, competitive natures, physical
      abilities, social behavior, home training, and professional assumptions.
      As increasingly rapid change becomes the rule for NPR and the world, the
      organization has realized that it must become more adept at serving the
      growing number and variety of people on its staff and in its audience.
      Traditionally, NPR has assigned a high value to different ideas and varied
      perspectives in programming. More than 30 years ago, Bill Siemering, one
      of NPR's founders, wrote:
      National Public Radio will serve the individual; it will promote personal
      growth rather than corporate gains; it will regard the individual
      differences among men with respect and joy rather than derision and hate;
      it will celebrate the human experience as infinitely varied rather than
      vacuous and banal; it will encourage a sense of active, constructive
      participation, rather than apathetic helplessness.
      With these principles in mind, in early 2001 NPR President Kevin Klose
      initiated and sponsored the NPR Diversity Task Force. Comprised of
      volunteers drawn from the entire organization, the Task Force was charged
      with creating a plan to help NPR achieve excellence in diversity. The
      group's research efforts concentrated on leading and managing change,
      diversity initiatives at other organizations, community building and
      critical elements for successful initiatives at NPR. One of the specific
      actions recommended by the Task Force is the recruitment of a senior-level
      diversity executive reporting directly to the CEO who would create a
      diversity unit within NPR. It is with this recommendation in mind that NPR
      now seeks to recruit a Director of Diversity Management for the
      organization.

      Specific Role

      Based in NPR's Washington, DC headquarters, the Director of Diversity
      Management will develop and implement strategies that eliminate barriers to
      all staff doing their best work. The ideal candidate will be a highly
      skilled organizational development professional with a proven track record
      of success in change management and a focus on the valuing and inclusion of
      all people. Previous work experience will demonstrate a clear
      understanding and application of approaches that result in building
      inclusion and leveraging diversity to maximize the contributions of all
      members of a client organization. Experience identifying and forming
      relationships with senior organizational leaders is particularly valuable.

      The Director of Diversity Management is a strategist. The global media
      environment is rapidly changing. A good media company must be nimble,
      outward looking, and open to different ideas and opportunities. The
      Director is responsible for designing and implementing an inclusion
      strategy for effecting change in the organization through education,
      coaching and enhancing policies and practices. The strategy will be based
      on data collected through quantitative and qualitative instruments and
      external benchmarking. The Director will also work towards creating
      critical mass and implementing overall strategies for change. Furthermore,
      the Director will oversee the production of custom education and coaching
      materials that will focus on NPR's developed change strategy and its
      desired outcomes. The Director will work closely with other members of
      NPR's senior management team, outside consultants, and administrative and
      project teams to develop appropriate methods and messages.

      The Director of Diversity Management will report directly to the President
      and CEO of NPR and simultaneously maintain a close day-to-day working
      relationship with NPR's Executive Vice President (COO). Primary
      responsibilities include the following:

      · Provide overall leadership for the development of vision, goals and
      strategies for NPR's Diversity and Change initiatives.

      · Evaluate and modify (as required) NPR's existing Diversity and Change
      programs.

      · Establish a framework for incorporating Diversity and Change issues into
      NPR's broader organizational strategies.

      · Serve as an advisor to the President and CEO as well as other members of
      the senior management team on Diversity and Change issues.

      · Act as an internal consultant to NPR's programmatic/operational units on
      the impact, benefits and implementation of Diversity and Change initiatives.

      · Develop and implement innovative educational and training programs
      designed to raise the level of sensitivity to Diversity and Change issues
      throughout the organization.

      Major Objectives

      In the first twelve to eighteen months the Director of Diversity will:

      · Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of NPR's organizational culture as
      it relates to Diversity and Change.

      · Conduct a literature survey/study of Diversity and Change best practices
      especially focused on media, nonprofit and (where appropriate) noteworthy
      for-profit organizations.

      · Develop a plan for implementing a Diversity and Change program within NPR.

      · Determine strategies for working with current staff on NPR's internal
      diversity implementation team.

      · Develop benchmarks and performance criteria for measuring progress with
      the Diversity and Change program.

      Professional Qualifications

      · Five to ten years of experience in developing and managing diversity and
      organizational change initiatives

      · Masters degree in a related discipline (e.g. Human Resources,
      Organizational Development, Change Management, etc.) preferred, but not
      required

      · Demonstrated acuity in strategic analysis, organizational planning and
      change management

      · Ability to think strategically and to integrate the leveraging of
      diversity into an overall cultural change strategy

      · Success at effecting systemic change throughout an organization

      · Noteworthy cross-cultural and conflict resolution abilities

      · A high degree of comfort and proven ability to work with ambiguity

      Personal Characteristics

      · Philosophical orientation towards inclusion and valuing differences as an
      ideology and business strategy

      · Entrepreneurial spirit that shows imagination, initiative and appetite
      for challenging and risky projects

      · Creative thinking and exceptional follow-through

      · Demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse network

      · Self-confidence, intelligence, and diplomacy to facilitate effective
      interaction that is respectful of peoples' experience and concerns

      · Sound judgment and experience

      · Ability to listen well and make informed decisions

      Compensation

      NPR offers a salary and benefits package for the position of Director of
      Diversity Management that is commensurate with experience and competitive
      with comparable positions.

      Please forward resumes immediately to:

      Jennifer Koropchak
      Boulware & Associates, Inc.