bird watching books

  • wanderingdisc
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2002
      Does anyone know of any bird watching books that would be able to
      identify the birds of Malawi? From the little I can find, these seem
      quite expensive.

      Thanks
      Ty
    • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2002
        My husband became quite the avid bird watcher here over the past 5 years and
        he has several bird books. He recommends:
        Birds of Southern Africa
        Sasol
        Second Edition
        By Ian Sinclair, Phil Hocky, Warwick Tarboton
        ISBN 1 86872 033 5 (soft Cover)
        or 1 86872 103 5 (PVC Cover)

        --Stacia

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2002
          Newman's Birds of Southern Africa is the best guide available. There's
          also a smaller supplement specifically for Malawi that covers a few
          birds in the north of the country that don't make it into the larger
          edition. Here's info: http://wildnetafrica.co.za/goodies/b004.html

          The sell the book at the headquarters of the Wildlife Society of Malawi
          in Limbe (or at least they did five years ago!) and probably in some
          shops in Lilongwe. If you play your cards right, you can get PC to pay
          for it as a work related expense. You said you're going to be a science
          teacher, right? No problem. Work the system.

          >>> wanderingdisc@... 9/20/02 5:40 PM >>>