Re: Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?

  • wanderingdisc
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 20, 2002
      Tighe

      I'll be headed on over to Malawi with you as a science teacher.
      Where did you find the solar powered battery charger? And why was
      only one type of pump recommended for Afica? What are some of the
      specifications that I need to check for? I already have a pump, and
      I'll bring it if is appropriate for Africa.

      Does anyone have an email address for Tom & Ruth Nighswander? I was
      classmates with their daughter Heather back in high school. Small
      world now that I'm headed to Malawi.

      Ty
    • Eric Bone
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
        Timoneni mose!  Here are a few highlights from the year:

        In January, Jacqui and I resumed cohabitating after 15 months apart.  During that time she had been working in San Francisco and DC while I was finishing my math PhD at Brandeis University near Boston.  I finished in December and moved to DC in January to begin a 4 month stint at the National Academy of Sciences as a Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellow (see http://www7.nationalacademies.org/policyfellows/).  I worked in the Office of International Affairs putting together websites and brochures about science advisory and development activities that the Academies undertake around the world. In fact, the website just went up at http://www.nationalacademies.org/international/, though not all the links seem to working yet.

        Jacqui left her job at American Councils for International Education soon after I finished my internship, and we took advantage of the time to travel.  We got to see Rand and Deb in Atlanta in June and several former northern volunteers at a gathering in North Carolina in August.  (I'll let our amazing hostess and organizer Stephanie Jayne fill you in on that one).   In between we spent a month in South Korea, traveling around the country and visiting more than 30(!) of my in-laws.

        In the fall Jacqui began a new job managing nonproliferation programs at the US Civilian Research and Development Foundation (www.crdf.org).  I began a one-to-two-year fellowship through the American Assocation for the Advancement of Science (see http://fellowships.aaas.org/) at the State Department.  I am working in the Office of the Coordinator of US Assistance to Europe and Eurasia (www.state.gov/p/eur/ace).  My job is to connect and coordinate people involved in all sorts of security assistance programs, especially those that involve putting former Soviet weapons scientists to work in non-threatening situations.

        I always enjoy hearing people's updates, so I hope more people will find time to write.

        Jani umampha,
        Eric Bone
        Chintheche 1995-97

        Do you Yahoo!?