Re: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
      This reminded me of another standard piece of advice I give. Take
      *lots* of pictures when you get there of all the things that strike you
      as a little goofy, or just different from the states. It doesn't take
      long for you to get used to these little things, and once you get back
      you'll really wish you had a picture of, say, the Covo billboards "Even
      mothers and daughters agree!"

      I second (third, fourth?) the advice about not bringing many clothes.
      And in addition to the little toys for kids, put a couple bottles of
      bubbles in those tupperwares you'll be taking. My housemate Deb brought
      a bottle and the bubbles were what broke the ice with the neighbor kids
      who otherwise ran screaming from us.

      >>> petitbeurre10@... 9/13/02 2:01 PM >>>

      Tighe-
      Some of my favorite clothes are ones I bought in the markets in Malawi!
      Yes, I still wear them (time to update?). As Mark suggested, I did
      love my shortwave radio. Also, nice lotions and smelly-stuff (perhaps a
      gendered item) was always nice to update the daily sponge bath.
      Batteries were expensive and crummy in Malawi so bringing a stash for
      walkmans and radios is a good idea. Don't underestimate the importance
      of a good camera- even if you're not into photography now, the beauty of
      Malawi will no doubt inspire you. Sunscreen, film, chapstick, GOOD
      BOOKS!, favorite music, gifts for homestays and new friends, pictures of
      your family and home, dried spices. I did have to explain the
      difference between my dried basil and marajuana one time at a military
      check-point, but after explaining how to make tomatoe sauce in my broken
      Tumbuka, I was fine. If you have electricity it is great to have a
      laptop or wordprocessor. I lived in the boonies with no electricity but
      kept an old word-processor at a friend's house in Mzuzu (the closest big
      city) and loved being able to get some work done when I was in town. Oh
      the jealousy! I feel it too! Get ready for the trip of your life-
      Tana

      Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that
      we are powerful beyond measure... It is our light, not our darkness that
      frightens us. We ask ourselves: Who am I to be brillant, gorgeous,
      talented, or fabulous? Well, actually, who are you not to be?"
      -Nelson Mandela

      >From: "Tighe1"
      >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
      >Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:11:35 -0000
      >

      >I have been accepted to teach math in Malawi and I'm leaving at the
      >end of this month! I'm super excited, especially reading all of this
      >group's messages. I'm a little confused about what to take for
      >clothing, especially considering the conservative nature of the
      >country. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers for
      >what is acceptable or not acceptable for a teacher. Basically, I've
      >been told that I need to wear pants and a button down shirt if I'm
      >around town, short sleeves are acceptable. In the classroom I need to

      >wear a long sleeved button down, and maybe a tie? Any pointers you
      >could give would be great.
      >
      >Also, do you have any general suggestions for items you should have
      >taken but didn't know about? Any suggestions are helpful, as I
      >obviously don't really know what to expect :) Thanks!
      >
      >-Tighe Herren

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Bill Eigel
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
        Hi Tighe:

        My daughter, Bethany, is currently a Biology teacher
        in Kasinje. I have read all the responses to your
        request and, based on conversations I've had with
        Bethany, I think you've received some great
        suggestions. The only thing I would add is that she
        took two collapsable water storage containers (most
        camping supply stores carry) that she has found very
        useful for storing boiled water in. The advice about
        a tent and sleeping bag is very good; she uses those
        in her travels constantly. As far as clothes are
        concerned, depends on whether you end up in the
        northern area or more southern. She took more clothes
        for the northern area where it does get cold but ended
        up in a very hot climate. She had no problem trading
        some of her colder weather clothes with another PC
        teacher; she also finds that buying clothes in the
        markets works fine.

        Have a great experience and say hello to Bethany
        should you meet up with her.

        Bill

        --- Tighe1 <junk9191@...> wrote:

        > I have been accepted to teach math in Malawi and I'm
        > leaving at the
        > end of this month! I'm super excited, especially
        > reading all of this
        > group's messages. I'm a little confused about what
        > to take for
        > clothing, especially considering the conservative
        > nature of the
        > country. I was wondering if you guys could give me
        > some pointers for
        > what is acceptable or not acceptable for a teacher.
        > Basically, I've
        > been told that I need to wear pants and a button
        > down shirt if I'm
        > around town, short sleeves are acceptable. In the
        > classroom I need to
        > wear a long sleeved button down, and maybe a tie?
        > Any pointers you
        > could give would be great.
        >
        > Also, do you have any general suggestions for items
        > you should have
        > taken but didn't know about? Any suggestions are
        > helpful, as I
        > obviously don't really know what to expect :)
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Tighe Herren

        Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
        http://news.yahoo.com
      • Tighe1
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
          Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
          the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
          family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
          of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
          people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
          in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
          It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
          in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
          I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
          I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)

          Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
          problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
          the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
          you really can't ask for more.

          I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
          I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
          an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
          still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
          will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
          last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
          assume that will be a once a month luxury?

          -Tighe
        • holland@panasas.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
            Oh yeah, I forgot about that: a water purifier is a great idea. I had one and used it constantly when I travelled. Bring some extra cartridges for it. Mine eventually started leaking badly and I had to pump twice as much for the same amount of water, but I still used it.

            I lived in Lilongwe and had internet access whenever I had access to phone. There is/was a fascinating woman named Thandi Mbvundula who lives/lived in Lilongwe and runs/ran an internet service there called Epsilon and Omega (eomw.net). Their offices were at City Centre. Much preferable to MalawiNet (malawinet.com), which is/was owned and (poorly) run by a major political figure (now in the opposition I hear). While I was there MalawiNet had an officially sanctioned monopoly on internet access and forced E&O to use a crufty dialup linkage through South Africa. A friend of mine still uses E&O and I understand the laws have changed and they are now able to offer full service. (Did I hear a something about yet a third company opening recently somwhere in Blantyre?)

            Dedza is a beautiful place. The view from the top of the mountain is spectacular, especially in rainy season when you can watch storms rolling across the plain. Cheesecake and Mzuzu coffee. Enough said.

            Mark

[...]

          • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
              A few notes about the previous suggestions from someone who has been here
              too long...

              - most PCVs get PC issued bikes, helmets, tool kits, bike maintenance book,
              mud flaps and a few other accessories. With that said, not all PCV teachers
              get bikes because they generally live and work in the same place and don't
              have the same transport needs as health or environment volunteers.

              - definitely bring shoes and underware, they are still a pain to find, at
              least
              good ones. Bata Batas (flip flops are plentiful still though!)

              - you can get a LOT here now, I picked up a braun 'milkshake mixer thingy'
              to make baby food in new shop in Lilongwe (somewhere in the area of 30 US
              dollars, which I'm sure would be 15 dollars there), although I can also buy
              pureed baby food on a regular basis if I wanted.

              - batteries STILL suck here and even the real everready type are old and
              ridculously expensive

              - i drink my water from protected water sources or out of the tap and
              haven't had stomach problems in years (know on wood). i personally wouldn't
              spend that much on a water filter!

              - i read about a solar powered charger for a cell phone recently, i'm going
              to look into buying that. i know a few current PCVs with cell phones (that
              you have to buy here, in europe or south africa to get the right type to
              work here). international calls come through pretty well, depending upon
              where you are. it isn't anything I would buy until you see where you are in
              the country though, not everywhere has cell phone service.

              - internet - once a month is luxury. in dedza you will be in the villages
              with a few breaks now and then - i wouldn't describe your training as having
              a few modern luxuries execept for the first 1-3 days you arrive and stay
              near the training office.

              good luck!
              Stacia

              > Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
              > the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
              > family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
              > of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
              > people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
              > in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
              > It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
              > in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
              > I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
              > I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)
              >
              > Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
              > problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
              > the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
              > you really can't ask for more.
              >
              > I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
              > I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
              > an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
              > still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
              > will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
              > last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
              > assume that will be a once a month luxury?
              >
              > -Tighe

            • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                More soundbites.... All PCVs also get water filters, not the type you can
                carry around though. The 3 cities all have Internet service, and I was just
                told that Karonga now even has an internet cafe. There are several ISPs
                now, maybe 5 or 6 that came in with the Leland initiative. I've used E&O
                for 5 years, and Thandi did a wonderful presentation to a group of girls for
                us one time. She's as great as ever. Unfortunately her husband died about
                2, maybe 3? years ago, that always scares me... Dedza is beautiful and that
                is where I went when I was waiting to go into labour for the whole month of
                July. I got the en suite room at Ed's bar / forestry lodge for the month
                and hiked around every day trying to induce labour (didn't work, but it was
                beautiful!). Me, too, enough said. Gotta go to bed! Stacia

                > Oh yeah, I forgot about that: a water purifier is a great idea. I had one
                and used it constantly when I travelled. Bring some extra cartridges for
                it. Mine eventually started leaking badly and I had to pump twice as much
                for the same amount of water, but I still used it.

                > I lived in Lilongwe and had internet access whenever I had access to
                phone. There is/was a fascinating woman named Thandi Mbvundula who
                lives/lived in Lilongwe and runs/ran an internet service there called
                Epsilon and Omega (eomw.net). Their offices were at City Centre. Much
                preferable to MalawiNet (malawinet.com), which is/was owned and (poorly) run
                by a major political figure (now in the opposition I hear). While I was
                there MalawiNet had an officially sanctioned monopoly on internet access and
                forced E&O to use a crufty dialup linkage through South Africa. A friend of
                mine still uses E&O and I understand the laws have changed and they are now
                able to offer full service. (Did I hear a something about yet a third
                company opening recently somwhere in Blantyre?)

                > Dedza is a beautiful place. The view from the top of the mountain is
                spectacular, especially in rainy season when you can watch storms rolling
                across the plain. Cheesecake and Mzuzu coffee. Enough said.

                > Mark

              • Bell, Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                  A few more;

                  -a traveler's hammock (can get from camping catalogues)

                  -seed packets for veggies and herbs to get some variety in your diet

                  -freezer strength ziplock baggies in various sizes

                  -journal(s)

                  -sleep sheet

                  -good combination lock

                  -underclothes money belt

                  -credit card for emergencies and vacations

                  -ALOT of extra passport photos

                  and I couldn't agree more about tupperware - LOVED my Tupperware....

                  Safe Journey,
                  Liz

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002

                    Tighe,

                    It sounds like you have received plenty of great ideas about what to bring on your trip.  You're so lucky to be doing your training in Dedza.  Perhaps my opinion is biased, but I think I had the best post in the country.  I was a volunteer in Dedza for three years teaching math at Mchisu MCDE.  Unfortunately, all the teachers I worked with there have since moved on (I've even heard that one is in jail!).  If you get placed there, you won't be disappointed.

                    You must hike the mountain (a relatively short hike) and then treat yourself to a slice of cheescake at the Pottery shop.  Good luck, enjoy your adventure, and keep us posted!!!

                    David Binkowski (94-97)

                    >From: "Tighe1"
                    >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [ujeni] Re: Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
                    >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:19:07 -0000
                    >

                    >Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
                    >the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
                    >family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
                    >of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
                    >people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
                    >in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
                    >It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
                    >in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
                    >I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
                    >I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)
                    >
                    >Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
                    >problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
                    >the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
                    >you really can't ask for more.
                    >
                    >I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
                    >I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
                    >an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
                    >still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
                    >will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
                    >last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
                    >assume that will be a once a month luxury?
                    >
                    >-Tighe

                  • Raymond R. Wise
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                      Deb here. A watch??? who needs a watch to measure time in malawi? unless
                      you have a watch that measures soon, soon-soon, now, and now-now, i might
                      just pass on that one. unless, of course, you're really curious to know
                      what time the 1:00 expressie actually departs!

                      shoes. it's all about comortable shoes.

                      hmmmmm. a purifier. we boiled, bleached, and strained the lumps out of our
                      water with a hankie. and i still had the trots 75% of the time!

                      Stoolie bwanji, y'all?
                      Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
                      2784 Mt. Olive Drive
                      Decatur, GA 30033

                      Email: rwise.psy88@...
                      (404) 327-5765

                      "It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones
                      slept better...while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more."
                      - Woody Allen
                    • Daniel Dudley
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                        David,
                        I had no idea that you were on this list, I stopped by Rey and Robin
                        Sapaga's house about a month ago and you name came up in conversation, I was
                        wondering what happened to you.

                        This is the first posting that I have seen from you. How about a catch up?

                        Dan Dudley

                        >From: "David Binkowski" <d_bink@...>
                        >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [ujeni] Re: Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
                        >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 07:10:49 +0000

                      • Vyrle Owens
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002

                          Dear Tighe,

                          Congratulations upon being accepted to Malawi Peace Corps.  A truly profound experience awaits you.

                          As to what to bring:  In my experience finding reasonable quality bed sheets and bath towels outside the US is expensive.  If you like either or both consider taking or shipping two flat sheets.  The really nice luxurious bath towels are just too good to wash by hand.  Try it before you pack to get the feel.  I think the lighter weight terry towels are good.

                          Any other advice from me is probably suspect as I am too old and idealistic to be practical,

                          But, just in case you want to listen for a moment

                          Consider that if you arrived in Malawi with nothing more than what you were wearing and carrying (include a reasonable amount of traveler’s checks in the carrying) you would be just fine.  You would have a wonderful experience, you would very definitely live to tell about it (the camera and film helps here), and the Malawi people you meet would appreciate you just as much.  Your fellow Americans might think of you as eccentric but also be a little jealous.

                          My best wishes to you and your fellow trainees.

                          Stay well,

                          Vyrle Owens

                          .

                        • Mary Parsaca
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                            Hi Tighe,
                            As a PCV in Kenya 30+ years ago, I found my pressure cooker to be
                            invaluable. When my daughter, Tana Beverwyk-Abouda, went to Malawi as a PCV
                            she took one along and loved it. It's one way to conserve those fast
                            disappearing trees in Malawi...faster cooking means less charcoal.
                            Enjoy every minute.
                            Mary
                            > Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
                            > the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
                            > family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
                            > of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
                            > people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
                            > in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
                            > It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
                            > in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
                            > I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
                            > I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)
                            >
                            > Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
                            > problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
                            > the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
                            > you really can't ask for more.
                            >
                            > I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
                            > I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
                            > an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
                            > still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
                            > will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
                            > last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
                            > assume that will be a once a month luxury?
                            >
                            > -Tighe

                          • Tighe1
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                              As I don't have any real idea what my meals will consist of, I'm
                              intrigued with your suggestion. What would I be cooking that would
                              possibly require a pressure cooker? Or is it just the fact that it
                              will cook faster?

                              -Tighe

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                As PCVs in Jamaica, we also loved our pressure cooker as beans were cooked
                                very often. It would be great to have one here, too. Stacia

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002

                                  Very true Vyrle - a Chitenje is about all you need around here!  I would second your suggestion about sheets and towels if you want to have a bit of comfort from home.  I am going home in two weeks and am bringing some back.  Stacia
                                  Congratulations upon being accepted to Malawi Peace Corps.  A truly profound experience awaits you.

                                  As to what to bring:  In my experience finding reasonable quality bed sheets and bath towels outside the US is expensive.  If you like either or both consider taking or shipping two flat sheets.  The really nice luxurious bath towels are just too good to wash by hand.  Try it before you pack to get the feel.  I think the lighter weight terry towels are good.

                                  Any other advice from me is probably suspect as I am too old and idealistic to be practical,

                                  But, just in case you want to listen for a moment

                                  Consider that if you arrived in Malawi with nothing more than what you were wearing and carrying (include a reasonable amount of traveler¬ís checks in the carrying) you would be just fine.  You would have a wonderful experience, you would very definitely live to tell about it (the camera and film helps here), and the Malawi people you meet would appreciate you just as much.  Your fellow Americans might think of you as eccentric but also be a little jealous.

                                  My best wishes to you and your fellow trainees.

                                  Stay well,

                                  Vyrle Owens

                                  .

                                • Weber
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                    Hi Tighe, I'm older than Vryle but though not as idealistic am still of that
                                    practical generation---you know, like your parents. My suggestion is to be
                                    prepared to enter into and soak up an experience the likes of which you
                                    can't even begin to fathom. The suggestions regarding items to make your day
                                    to day living more bearable are right on. You should, however, think in
                                    terms of adapting to the lifestyles of those with whom you'll be living on a
                                    daily basis. That means electronic do-dads which might make it easier to
                                    have contact with the "outside" world could diminish the quality of the
                                    Malawian experience and set you apart from others especially if you are in a
                                    rural area. Of course, as others have suggested, there likely won't be
                                    electricity or limited access to it.

                                    Peace Corps encourages you to blend in as much as possible so that is why
                                    you are paid in Kwacha instead of Dollars and provides you with a minimal
                                    monthly stipend. Before you know it you'll be complaining about not being
                                    able to afford a favorite food, soda or beer around the last of the month or
                                    even the 1st of the month, but then, look around you and you'll discover
                                    many Malawians can't afford their "favorites" hardly ever. It's humbling.

                                    You asked about foods. During our training we had a great practical session
                                    where we were dropped off at local markets with "X" amount of kwacha and
                                    then expected to buy 3 items within budget. The next day we cooked village
                                    style. I always felt that was one of the best sessions as it made going to
                                    market less intimidating after that. Most, if not all, volunteers had
                                    workers who did buying and cooking for them. It did make it easier. I
                                    cheated. I brought my own cook from the U.S. with me; my wife and fellow
                                    volunteer Cathy. She often sent me to the "store" however because she felt I
                                    had better bargaining prowess (At least that's what she led me to believe
                                    when I trekked to the Limbe Market).

                                    The reason you are getting many responses is because we all are vicariously
                                    reliving a defining moment in our lives. You are going to have good times
                                    and bad times but in the end, the time of your life. Let yourself enjoy it.
                                    Don Weber, Class of 94-96.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                      A pressure cooker gets those beans done in a hurry and turns shoe leather
                                      masquerading as meat into something quite edible. (It also ensures the death
                                      of any parasites lurking in the meat!) I remember our first chicken in
                                      Kenya. It was tiny, so I thought, young and tender. What a joke! It was
                                      fried to perfection, but we were unable to sink our teeth into it. Into the
                                      pressure cooker it went. In half an hour it was quite wonderful although not
                                      exactly crispy.

                                      Mary

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                        Stacia...

                                        I didn't know you were PCVs in Jamaica. After Peace Corps I volunteered
                                        there through Health Volunteers Overseas for 6 weeks with a community based
                                        rehabilitation program (3D Project). I met a man PCV in Morant Bay who was
                                        doing some small business projects with mothers of some of the disabled kids
                                        out of the 3D Project office there. I worked half the time in Morant Bay
                                        and then in Highgate where they also had a 3D Project office. I went (bus,
                                        taxi??? and then walk) with community rehab workers out to rural homes of
                                        disabled kids. Though really a less poor country than Malawi I felt the
                                        depth of poverty more there...maybe because sense of community seemed less.
                                        Possibly it was just because I was there a short time and didn't get to know
                                        people and correctly interpret what I was experiencing.

                                        One of those funny serendipitous things happened. I met an American family
                                        when I went to church with the Jamaican family I was living with in
                                        Highgate. The American woman offered me a ride to work when she spotted me
                                        on the road a day or so later. I almost refused...I was close to work and
                                        liked the walk (not nearly as much as my walk to work in Malawi where
                                        everyone wanted to walk with me and talk). Decided it was kind of her to
                                        ask so accepted. In asking about where she was from...learned that they
                                        were Mennonites, hadn't lived in the U.S. for many years. Her husband was
                                        running the Habitat for Humanities office in Highgate, but they had been in
                                        Zambia before, had traveled to Blantyre and stayed at the Salvation Army
                                        place in Blantyre because in Zambia they worked at the Salvation Army
                                        Hospital. I told her that Margaret Wazakili, my closest friend in Blantyre,
                                        had worked there in Zambia as a physiotherapist. She said "Oh my goodness,
                                        Maggie! We lost track of her!" They were friends and lived as neighbors on
                                        the hospital grounds. Anyway, they had been in Jamaica for a year and still
                                        had the same sense of the difference between Jamaica and our experiences in
                                        southern Africa.

                                        A few Jamaican mothers at a 3D Project parents meeting were talking about
                                        how they don't show their children enough affection, how they don't hug.
                                        I'd really be interested in hearing your about your experiences there. I
                                        may go back sometime. After going I helped recruit and prepare other
                                        therapists to go and have kept in email touch with some who I've never met
                                        and with the women who started 3D. She's retired and the project is falling
                                        apart because of lack of funding. UNICEF funds projects for a certain
                                        number of years and expects them to develop their own funding sources, from
                                        what I understand. Disabled kids' rehab. programs are seem to be low on the
                                        list of government funding priorities and probably even most NGO's, though
                                        Malawi Against Polio has done well through Dutch NGO's and Christofer
                                        Blinden (sp??? German NGO?), hasn't it? Still hope that's well in place.

                                        Cathy

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 20, 2002
                                          Tighe

                                          I'll be headed on over to Malawi with you as a science teacher.
                                          Where did you find the solar powered battery charger? And why was
                                          only one type of pump recommended for Afica? What are some of the
                                          specifications that I need to check for? I already have a pump, and
                                          I'll bring it if is appropriate for Africa.

                                          Does anyone have an email address for Tom & Ruth Nighswander? I was
                                          classmates with their daughter Heather back in high school. Small
                                          world now that I'm headed to Malawi.

                                          Ty
                                        • Eric Bone
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                                            Timoneni mose!  Here are a few highlights from the year:

                                            In January, Jacqui and I resumed cohabitating after 15 months apart.  During that time she had been working in San Francisco and DC while I was finishing my math PhD at Brandeis University near Boston.  I finished in December and moved to DC in January to begin a 4 month stint at the National Academy of Sciences as a Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellow (see http://www7.nationalacademies.org/policyfellows/).  I worked in the Office of International Affairs putting together websites and brochures about science advisory and development activities that the Academies undertake around the world. In fact, the website just went up at http://www.nationalacademies.org/international/, though not all the links seem to working yet.

                                            Jacqui left her job at American Councils for International Education soon after I finished my internship, and we took advantage of the time to travel.  We got to see Rand and Deb in Atlanta in June and several former northern volunteers at a gathering in North Carolina in August.  (I'll let our amazing hostess and organizer Stephanie Jayne fill you in on that one).   In between we spent a month in South Korea, traveling around the country and visiting more than 30(!) of my in-laws.

                                            In the fall Jacqui began a new job managing nonproliferation programs at the US Civilian Research and Development Foundation (www.crdf.org).  I began a one-to-two-year fellowship through the American Assocation for the Advancement of Science (see http://fellowships.aaas.org/) at the State Department.  I am working in the Office of the Coordinator of US Assistance to Europe and Eurasia (www.state.gov/p/eur/ace).  My job is to connect and coordinate people involved in all sorts of security assistance programs, especially those that involve putting former Soviet weapons scientists to work in non-threatening situations.

                                            I always enjoy hearing people's updates, so I hope more people will find time to write.

                                            Jani umampha,
                                            Eric Bone
                                            Chintheche 1995-97

                                            Do you Yahoo!?