RE: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?

  • Karl Klemmick
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
      Mark may have never regretted bringing a guitar, but being his flatmate I'm
      not sure I could say the same! Mark, did you ever master that poor thing?

      Cheers,

      Karl K.

      >From: holland@...
      >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: RE: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
      >Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:33:06 -0400
      >
      >I wasn't a teacher but I did work in the government. In the office I wore
      >slacks, a short sleeve shirt or a long-sleeve one rolled up, and a tie most
      >days (man did I ever get sick of that blue shirt). I would often cycle in
      >wearing shorts & a t-shirt and then change in the office.
      >
      >Outside of the office my only rule for myself was to be neat, since I found
      >my interactions with people went much more smoothly that way. My sense of
      >the place is that Malawians dress formally if they can possibly afford it,
      >and find it slightly odd when someone who can afford to does not. That
      >said, in any very casual or expatriate situation I had no problem wearing
      >shorts and sandals.
      >
      >There used to be this great list that circulated called "things I'm really
      >glad I brought and things I wish I had left behind". First for me in the
      >former category was a tent, sleeping bag, and hiking boots. That opened up
      >some great vacation opportunities. Bike tools also. I had a kit of box
      >wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and a few specialized bike tools (freewheel
      >puller, spoke wrench) which saved my butt on more than one occasion. It
      >wasn't huge: the whole thing fit in a zip-lock bag. Shoes were always
      >expensive and a hassle to find, so I'm glad I brought both dress shoes and
      >casual shoes. I never regretted bringing a guitar. It was a hassle to lug
      >around sometimes but it broke the ice with my homestay families
      >wonderfully. Everyone loved their shortwave radios. PC will provide you
      >with mosquito netting and a first-aid kit, or at least they did when I was
      >there.
      >
      >Have a great time, I'm more than a little jealous.
      >
      >Mark

      Life is too important to take seriously.
      - Corky Siegel

    • Daniel Dudley
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
        I was a teacher in the the valley in Salima. I was too bloody hot to wear a
        tie, let alone a long sleeve shirt. However I also taught in the norther
        region and in Lilongwe and from about April to about the end of July, it can
        get pretty chilly. Also I brought along several nice clothes for some
        special occasions. My advise in hind site would have to brought less clothes
        and more leisure things. I love golf, I wish that I had brought a club and
        a bunch of shag balls to hit and pay little kids to pick them up. My game
        went to pot in my 5 years in Malawi.

        You would be surprised at the used clothes that you can buy. A good pair of
        shoe or three is very important, a good watch, during my time I was pretty
        infamous for wearing flip-flops everywhere that I went, I hated how hard my
        socks got after washing them.

        My wife went back last summer, and she said that things have changed a lot
        especially in the capital. So it is hard for me to tell what you can or
        can't buy any more but my guess is that it is more than while I was there.

        Have fun, I love that little country and I know that they are having a tough
        time with the drought.

        If you have email while you are there, let us know where they send you, it
        would be nice to hear about old friends.

        Dan Dudley

      • holland@panasas.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
          Hey, Karl, no I never got any better. But you sure were happy I brought those bike tools!

          Mark may have never regretted bringing a guitar, but being his flatmate I'm
          not sure I could say the same! Mark, did you ever master that poor thing?

          Cheers,

          Karl K.

          >From: holland@...
          >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [ujeni] Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
          >Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:33:06 -0400
          >
          >I wasn't a teacher but I did work in the government. In the office I wore
          >slacks, a short sleeve shirt or a long-sleeve one rolled up, and a tie most
          >days (man did I ever get sick of that blue shirt). I would often cycle in
          >wearing shorts & a t-shirt and then change in the office.
          >
          >Outside of the office my only rule for myself was to be neat, since I found
          >my interactions with people went much more smoothly that way. My sense of
          >the place is that Malawians dress formally if they can possibly afford it,
          >and find it slightly odd when someone who can afford to does not. That
          >said, in any very casual or expatriate situation I had no problem wearing
          >shorts and sandals.
          >
          >There used to be this great list that circulated called "things I'm really
          >glad I brought and things I wish I had left behind". First for me in the
          >former category was a tent, sleeping bag, and hiking boots. That opened up
          >some great vacation opportunities. Bike tools also. I had a kit of box
          >wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and a few specialized bike tools (freewheel
          >puller, spoke wrench) which saved my butt on more than one occasion. It
          >wasn't huge: the whole thing fit in a zip-lock bag. Shoes were always
          >expensive and a hassle to find, so I'm glad I brought both dress shoes and
          >casual shoes. I never regretted bringing a guitar. It was a hassle to lug
          >around sometimes but it broke the ice with my homestay families
          >wonderfully. Everyone loved their shortwave radios. PC will provide you
          >with mosquito netting and a first-aid kit, or at least they did when I was
          >there.
          >
          >Have a great time, I'm more than a little jealous.
          >
          >Mark

        • Tana Beverwyk
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002

            Tighe-

            Some of my favorite clothes are ones I bought in the markets in Malawi!  Yes, I still wear them (time to update?).  As Mark suggested, I did love my shortwave radio.  Also, nice lotions and smelly-stuff (perhaps a gendered item) was always nice to update the daily sponge bath.  Batteries were expensive and crummy in Malawi so bringing a stash for walkmans and radios is a good idea.  Don't underestimate the importance of a good camera- even if you're not into photography now, the beauty of Malawi will no doubt inspire you.  Sunscreen, film, chapstick, GOOD BOOKS!, favorite music, gifts for homestays and new friends, pictures of your family and home, dried spices.  I did have to explain the difference between my dried basil and marajuana one time at a military check-point, but after explaining how to make tomatoe sauce in my broken Tumbuka, I was fine.  If you have electricity it is great to have a laptop or wordprocessor.  I lived in the boonies with no electricity but kept an old word-processor at a friend's house in Mzuzu (the closest big city) and loved being able to get some work done when I was in town.  Oh the jealousy!  I feel it too!  Get ready for the trip of your life- Tana

            Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us.  We ask ourselves: Who am I to be brillant, gorgeous, talented, or fabulous?  Well, actually, who are you not to be?"

            -Nelson Mandela

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
              This reminded me of another standard piece of advice I give. Take
              *lots* of pictures when you get there of all the things that strike you
              as a little goofy, or just different from the states. It doesn't take
              long for you to get used to these little things, and once you get back
              you'll really wish you had a picture of, say, the Covo billboards "Even
              mothers and daughters agree!"

              I second (third, fourth?) the advice about not bringing many clothes.
              And in addition to the little toys for kids, put a couple bottles of
              bubbles in those tupperwares you'll be taking. My housemate Deb brought
              a bottle and the bubbles were what broke the ice with the neighbor kids
              who otherwise ran screaming from us.

              >>> petitbeurre10@... 9/13/02 2:01 PM >>>

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Bill Eigel
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                Hi Tighe:

                My daughter, Bethany, is currently a Biology teacher
                in Kasinje. I have read all the responses to your
                request and, based on conversations I've had with
                Bethany, I think you've received some great
                suggestions. The only thing I would add is that she
                took two collapsable water storage containers (most
                camping supply stores carry) that she has found very
                useful for storing boiled water in. The advice about
                a tent and sleeping bag is very good; she uses those
                in her travels constantly. As far as clothes are
                concerned, depends on whether you end up in the
                northern area or more southern. She took more clothes
                for the northern area where it does get cold but ended
                up in a very hot climate. She had no problem trading
                some of her colder weather clothes with another PC
                teacher; she also finds that buying clothes in the
                markets works fine.

                Have a great experience and say hello to Bethany
                should you meet up with her.

                Bill

                --- Tighe1 <junk9191@...> wrote:

                > I have been accepted to teach math in Malawi and I'm
                > leaving at the
                > end of this month! I'm super excited, especially
                > reading all of this
                > group's messages. I'm a little confused about what
                > to take for
                > clothing, especially considering the conservative
                > nature of the
                > country. I was wondering if you guys could give me
                > some pointers for
                > what is acceptable or not acceptable for a teacher.
                > Basically, I've
                > been told that I need to wear pants and a button
                > down shirt if I'm
                > around town, short sleeves are acceptable. In the
                > classroom I need to
                > wear a long sleeved button down, and maybe a tie?
                > Any pointers you
                > could give would be great.
                >
                > Also, do you have any general suggestions for items
                > you should have
                > taken but didn't know about? Any suggestions are
                > helpful, as I
                > obviously don't really know what to expect :)
                > Thanks!
                >
                > -Tighe Herren

                Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                http://news.yahoo.com
              • Tighe1
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                  Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
                  the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
                  family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
                  of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
                  people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
                  in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
                  It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
                  in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
                  I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
                  I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)

                  Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
                  problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
                  the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
                  you really can't ask for more.

                  I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
                  I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
                  an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
                  still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
                  will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
                  last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
                  assume that will be a once a month luxury?

                  -Tighe
                • holland@panasas.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                    Oh yeah, I forgot about that: a water purifier is a great idea. I had one and used it constantly when I travelled. Bring some extra cartridges for it. Mine eventually started leaking badly and I had to pump twice as much for the same amount of water, but I still used it.

                    I lived in Lilongwe and had internet access whenever I had access to phone. There is/was a fascinating woman named Thandi Mbvundula who lives/lived in Lilongwe and runs/ran an internet service there called Epsilon and Omega (eomw.net). Their offices were at City Centre. Much preferable to MalawiNet (malawinet.com), which is/was owned and (poorly) run by a major political figure (now in the opposition I hear). While I was there MalawiNet had an officially sanctioned monopoly on internet access and forced E&O to use a crufty dialup linkage through South Africa. A friend of mine still uses E&O and I understand the laws have changed and they are now able to offer full service. (Did I hear a something about yet a third company opening recently somwhere in Blantyre?)

                    Dedza is a beautiful place. The view from the top of the mountain is spectacular, especially in rainy season when you can watch storms rolling across the plain. Cheesecake and Mzuzu coffee. Enough said.

                    Mark

[...]

                  • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                      A few notes about the previous suggestions from someone who has been here
                      too long...

                      - most PCVs get PC issued bikes, helmets, tool kits, bike maintenance book,
                      mud flaps and a few other accessories. With that said, not all PCV teachers
                      get bikes because they generally live and work in the same place and don't
                      have the same transport needs as health or environment volunteers.

                      - definitely bring shoes and underware, they are still a pain to find, at
                      least
                      good ones. Bata Batas (flip flops are plentiful still though!)

                      - you can get a LOT here now, I picked up a braun 'milkshake mixer thingy'
                      to make baby food in new shop in Lilongwe (somewhere in the area of 30 US
                      dollars, which I'm sure would be 15 dollars there), although I can also buy
                      pureed baby food on a regular basis if I wanted.

                      - batteries STILL suck here and even the real everready type are old and
                      ridculously expensive

                      - i drink my water from protected water sources or out of the tap and
                      haven't had stomach problems in years (know on wood). i personally wouldn't
                      spend that much on a water filter!

                      - i read about a solar powered charger for a cell phone recently, i'm going
                      to look into buying that. i know a few current PCVs with cell phones (that
                      you have to buy here, in europe or south africa to get the right type to
                      work here). international calls come through pretty well, depending upon
                      where you are. it isn't anything I would buy until you see where you are in
                      the country though, not everywhere has cell phone service.

                      - internet - once a month is luxury. in dedza you will be in the villages
                      with a few breaks now and then - i wouldn't describe your training as having
                      a few modern luxuries execept for the first 1-3 days you arrive and stay
                      near the training office.

                      good luck!
                      Stacia

                      > Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
                      > the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
                      > family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
                      > of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
                      > people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
                      > in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
                      > It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
                      > in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
                      > I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
                      > I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)
                      >
                      > Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
                      > problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
                      > the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
                      > you really can't ask for more.
                      >
                      > I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
                      > I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
                      > an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
                      > still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
                      > will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
                      > last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
                      > assume that will be a once a month luxury?
                      >
                      > -Tighe

                    • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                        More soundbites.... All PCVs also get water filters, not the type you can
                        carry around though. The 3 cities all have Internet service, and I was just
                        told that Karonga now even has an internet cafe. There are several ISPs
                        now, maybe 5 or 6 that came in with the Leland initiative. I've used E&O
                        for 5 years, and Thandi did a wonderful presentation to a group of girls for
                        us one time. She's as great as ever. Unfortunately her husband died about
                        2, maybe 3? years ago, that always scares me... Dedza is beautiful and that
                        is where I went when I was waiting to go into labour for the whole month of
                        July. I got the en suite room at Ed's bar / forestry lodge for the month
                        and hiked around every day trying to induce labour (didn't work, but it was
                        beautiful!). Me, too, enough said. Gotta go to bed! Stacia

                        > Oh yeah, I forgot about that: a water purifier is a great idea. I had one
                        and used it constantly when I travelled. Bring some extra cartridges for
                        it. Mine eventually started leaking badly and I had to pump twice as much
                        for the same amount of water, but I still used it.

                        > I lived in Lilongwe and had internet access whenever I had access to
                        phone. There is/was a fascinating woman named Thandi Mbvundula who
                        lives/lived in Lilongwe and runs/ran an internet service there called
                        Epsilon and Omega (eomw.net). Their offices were at City Centre. Much
                        preferable to MalawiNet (malawinet.com), which is/was owned and (poorly) run
                        by a major political figure (now in the opposition I hear). While I was
                        there MalawiNet had an officially sanctioned monopoly on internet access and
                        forced E&O to use a crufty dialup linkage through South Africa. A friend of
                        mine still uses E&O and I understand the laws have changed and they are now
                        able to offer full service. (Did I hear a something about yet a third
                        company opening recently somwhere in Blantyre?)

                        > Dedza is a beautiful place. The view from the top of the mountain is
                        spectacular, especially in rainy season when you can watch storms rolling
                        across the plain. Cheesecake and Mzuzu coffee. Enough said.

                        > Mark

                      • Bell, Elizabeth
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 13, 2002
                          A few more;

                          -a traveler's hammock (can get from camping catalogues)

                          -seed packets for veggies and herbs to get some variety in your diet

                          -freezer strength ziplock baggies in various sizes

                          -journal(s)

                          -sleep sheet

                          -good combination lock

                          -underclothes money belt

                          -credit card for emergencies and vacations

                          -ALOT of extra passport photos

                          and I couldn't agree more about tupperware - LOVED my Tupperware....

                          Safe Journey,
                          Liz

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002

                            Tighe,

                            It sounds like you have received plenty of great ideas about what to bring on your trip.  You're so lucky to be doing your training in Dedza.  Perhaps my opinion is biased, but I think I had the best post in the country.  I was a volunteer in Dedza for three years teaching math at Mchisu MCDE.  Unfortunately, all the teachers I worked with there have since moved on (I've even heard that one is in jail!).  If you get placed there, you won't be disappointed.

                            You must hike the mountain (a relatively short hike) and then treat yourself to a slice of cheescake at the Pottery shop.  Good luck, enjoy your adventure, and keep us posted!!!

                            David Binkowski (94-97)

                            >From: "Tighe1"
                            >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [ujeni] Re: Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
                            >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:19:07 -0000
                            >

                            >Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
                            >the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
                            >family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
                            >of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
                            >people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
                            >in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
                            >It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
                            >in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
                            >I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
                            >I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)
                            >
                            >Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
                            >problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
                            >the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
                            >you really can't ask for more.
                            >
                            >I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
                            >I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
                            >an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
                            >still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
                            >will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
                            >last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
                            >assume that will be a once a month luxury?
                            >
                            >-Tighe

                          • Raymond R. Wise
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                              Deb here. A watch??? who needs a watch to measure time in malawi? unless
                              you have a watch that measures soon, soon-soon, now, and now-now, i might
                              just pass on that one. unless, of course, you're really curious to know
                              what time the 1:00 expressie actually departs!

                              shoes. it's all about comortable shoes.

                              hmmmmm. a purifier. we boiled, bleached, and strained the lumps out of our
                              water with a hankie. and i still had the trots 75% of the time!

                              Stoolie bwanji, y'all?
                              Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
                              2784 Mt. Olive Drive
                              Decatur, GA 30033

                              Email: rwise.psy88@...
                              (404) 327-5765

                              "It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones
                              slept better...while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more."
                              - Woody Allen
                            • Daniel Dudley
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                                David,
                                I had no idea that you were on this list, I stopped by Rey and Robin
                                Sapaga's house about a month ago and you name came up in conversation, I was
                                wondering what happened to you.

                                This is the first posting that I have seen from you. How about a catch up?

                                Dan Dudley

                                >From: "David Binkowski" <d_bink@...>
                                >To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [ujeni] Re: Help! Suggestions for to-be trainee?
                                >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 07:10:49 +0000

                              • Vyrle Owens
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002

                                  Dear Tighe,

                                  Congratulations upon being accepted to Malawi Peace Corps.  A truly profound experience awaits you.

                                  As to what to bring:  In my experience finding reasonable quality bed sheets and bath towels outside the US is expensive.  If you like either or both consider taking or shipping two flat sheets.  The really nice luxurious bath towels are just too good to wash by hand.  Try it before you pack to get the feel.  I think the lighter weight terry towels are good.

                                  Any other advice from me is probably suspect as I am too old and idealistic to be practical,

                                  But, just in case you want to listen for a moment

                                  Consider that if you arrived in Malawi with nothing more than what you were wearing and carrying (include a reasonable amount of traveler’s checks in the carrying) you would be just fine.  You would have a wonderful experience, you would very definitely live to tell about it (the camera and film helps here), and the Malawi people you meet would appreciate you just as much.  Your fellow Americans might think of you as eccentric but also be a little jealous.

                                  My best wishes to you and your fellow trainees.

                                  Stay well,

                                  Vyrle Owens

                                  .

                                • Mary Parsaca
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                                    Hi Tighe,
                                    As a PCV in Kenya 30+ years ago, I found my pressure cooker to be
                                    invaluable. When my daughter, Tana Beverwyk-Abouda, went to Malawi as a PCV
                                    she took one along and loved it. It's one way to conserve those fast
                                    disappearing trees in Malawi...faster cooking means less charcoal.
                                    Enjoy every minute.
                                    Mary
                                    > Wow, you guys rock. So many good suggestions. I never thought about
                                    > the bike repair kit. I never thought about bringing toys for the host
                                    > family either! Awesome. I suppose I'll just throw in a few articles
                                    > of clothing and fill the rest with stuff. One thing that several
                                    > people have suggested is a handheld water purifier. You can buy them
                                    > in camping stores, but the one they recommend for africa is $200.
                                    > It's still super small, just expensive. I'm thinking about investing
                                    > in one. Books and music are definitely on the top of my list, and
                                    > I've even found a solar powered battery recharger for about 20 bucks.
                                    > I guess I'm screwed in the rainy season though :)
                                    >
                                    > Hearing all of your enthusiasm is really encouraging. Despite all the
                                    > problems, I thought the country looked pretty inviting. Everyone says
                                    > the people are super friendly and the country is beautiful. I guess
                                    > you really can't ask for more.
                                    >
                                    > I leave staging on Oct. 1 for Malawi. Surprisingly, the nervous fits
                                    > I had months ago have turned into pure excitement. I'm ready to have
                                    > an adventure! I'm doing my training in Dedza (sp?) and apparently it
                                    > still has a few modern conveniences. So, if I have internet access I
                                    > will most certainly post. Did anyone who did their service within the
                                    > last couple of years have regular internet access? Or should I just
                                    > assume that will be a once a month luxury?
                                    >
                                    > -Tighe

                                  • Tighe1
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 14, 2002
                                      As I don't have any real idea what my meals will consist of, I'm
                                      intrigued with your suggestion. What would I be cooking that would
                                      possibly require a pressure cooker? Or is it just the fact that it
                                      will cook faster?

                                      -Tighe

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                        As PCVs in Jamaica, we also loved our pressure cooker as beans were cooked
                                        very often. It would be great to have one here, too. Stacia

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002

                                          Very true Vyrle - a Chitenje is about all you need around here!  I would second your suggestion about sheets and towels if you want to have a bit of comfort from home.  I am going home in two weeks and am bringing some back.  Stacia

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                            Hi Tighe, I'm older than Vryle but though not as idealistic am still of that
                                            practical generation---you know, like your parents. My suggestion is to be
                                            prepared to enter into and soak up an experience the likes of which you
                                            can't even begin to fathom. The suggestions regarding items to make your day
                                            to day living more bearable are right on. You should, however, think in
                                            terms of adapting to the lifestyles of those with whom you'll be living on a
                                            daily basis. That means electronic do-dads which might make it easier to
                                            have contact with the "outside" world could diminish the quality of the
                                            Malawian experience and set you apart from others especially if you are in a
                                            rural area. Of course, as others have suggested, there likely won't be
                                            electricity or limited access to it.

                                            Peace Corps encourages you to blend in as much as possible so that is why
                                            you are paid in Kwacha instead of Dollars and provides you with a minimal
                                            monthly stipend. Before you know it you'll be complaining about not being
                                            able to afford a favorite food, soda or beer around the last of the month or
                                            even the 1st of the month, but then, look around you and you'll discover
                                            many Malawians can't afford their "favorites" hardly ever. It's humbling.

                                            You asked about foods. During our training we had a great practical session
                                            where we were dropped off at local markets with "X" amount of kwacha and
                                            then expected to buy 3 items within budget. The next day we cooked village
                                            style. I always felt that was one of the best sessions as it made going to
                                            market less intimidating after that. Most, if not all, volunteers had
                                            workers who did buying and cooking for them. It did make it easier. I
                                            cheated. I brought my own cook from the U.S. with me; my wife and fellow
                                            volunteer Cathy. She often sent me to the "store" however because she felt I
                                            had better bargaining prowess (At least that's what she led me to believe
                                            when I trekked to the Limbe Market).

                                            The reason you are getting many responses is because we all are vicariously
                                            reliving a defining moment in our lives. You are going to have good times
                                            and bad times but in the end, the time of your life. Let yourself enjoy it.
                                            Don Weber, Class of 94-96.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                              A pressure cooker gets those beans done in a hurry and turns shoe leather
                                              masquerading as meat into something quite edible. (It also ensures the death
                                              of any parasites lurking in the meat!) I remember our first chicken in
                                              Kenya. It was tiny, so I thought, young and tender. What a joke! It was
                                              fried to perfection, but we were unable to sink our teeth into it. Into the
                                              pressure cooker it went. In half an hour it was quite wonderful although not
                                              exactly crispy.

                                              Mary

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 15, 2002
                                                Stacia...

                                                I didn't know you were PCVs in Jamaica. After Peace Corps I volunteered
                                                there through Health Volunteers Overseas for 6 weeks with a community based
                                                rehabilitation program (3D Project). I met a man PCV in Morant Bay who was
                                                doing some small business projects with mothers of some of the disabled kids
                                                out of the 3D Project office there. I worked half the time in Morant Bay
                                                and then in Highgate where they also had a 3D Project office. I went (bus,
                                                taxi??? and then walk) with community rehab workers out to rural homes of
                                                disabled kids. Though really a less poor country than Malawi I felt the
                                                depth of poverty more there...maybe because sense of community seemed less.
                                                Possibly it was just because I was there a short time and didn't get to know
                                                people and correctly interpret what I was experiencing.

                                                One of those funny serendipitous things happened. I met an American family
                                                when I went to church with the Jamaican family I was living with in
                                                Highgate. The American woman offered me a ride to work when she spotted me
                                                on the road a day or so later. I almost refused...I was close to work and
                                                liked the walk (not nearly as much as my walk to work in Malawi where
                                                everyone wanted to walk with me and talk). Decided it was kind of her to
                                                ask so accepted. In asking about where she was from...learned that they
                                                were Mennonites, hadn't lived in the U.S. for many years. Her husband was
                                                running the Habitat for Humanities office in Highgate, but they had been in
                                                Zambia before, had traveled to Blantyre and stayed at the Salvation Army
                                                place in Blantyre because in Zambia they worked at the Salvation Army
                                                Hospital. I told her that Margaret Wazakili, my closest friend in Blantyre,
                                                had worked there in Zambia as a physiotherapist. She said "Oh my goodness,
                                                Maggie! We lost track of her!" They were friends and lived as neighbors on
                                                the hospital grounds. Anyway, they had been in Jamaica for a year and still
                                                had the same sense of the difference between Jamaica and our experiences in
                                                southern Africa.

                                                A few Jamaican mothers at a 3D Project parents meeting were talking about
                                                how they don't show their children enough affection, how they don't hug.
                                                I'd really be interested in hearing your about your experiences there. I
                                                may go back sometime. After going I helped recruit and prepare other
                                                therapists to go and have kept in email touch with some who I've never met
                                                and with the women who started 3D. She's retired and the project is falling
                                                apart because of lack of funding. UNICEF funds projects for a certain
                                                number of years and expects them to develop their own funding sources, from
                                                what I understand. Disabled kids' rehab. programs are seem to be low on the
                                                list of government funding priorities and probably even most NGO's, though
                                                Malawi Against Polio has done well through Dutch NGO's and Christofer
                                                Blinden (sp??? German NGO?), hasn't it? Still hope that's well in place.

                                                Cathy

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 20, 2002
                                                  Tighe

                                                  I'll be headed on over to Malawi with you as a science teacher.
                                                  Where did you find the solar powered battery charger? And why was
                                                  only one type of pump recommended for Afica? What are some of the
                                                  specifications that I need to check for? I already have a pump, and
                                                  I'll bring it if is appropriate for Africa.

                                                  Does anyone have an email address for Tom & Ruth Nighswander? I was
                                                  classmates with their daughter Heather back in high school. Small
                                                  world now that I'm headed to Malawi.

                                                  Ty
                                                • Eric Bone
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                                                    Timoneni mose!  Here are a few highlights from the year:

                                                    In January, Jacqui and I resumed cohabitating after 15 months apart.  During that time she had been working in San Francisco and DC while I was finishing my math PhD at Brandeis University near Boston.  I finished in December and moved to DC in January to begin a 4 month stint at the National Academy of Sciences as a Christine Mirzayan Science and Technology Policy Graduate Fellow (see http://www7.nationalacademies.org/policyfellows/).  I worked in the Office of International Affairs putting together websites and brochures about science advisory and development activities that the Academies undertake around the world. In fact, the website just went up at http://www.nationalacademies.org/international/, though not all the links seem to working yet.

                                                    Jacqui left her job at American Councils for International Education soon after I finished my internship, and we took advantage of the time to travel.  We got to see Rand and Deb in Atlanta in June and several former northern volunteers at a gathering in North Carolina in August.  (I'll let our amazing hostess and organizer Stephanie Jayne fill you in on that one).   In between we spent a month in South Korea, traveling around the country and visiting more than 30(!) of my in-laws.

                                                    In the fall Jacqui began a new job managing nonproliferation programs at the US Civilian Research and Development Foundation (www.crdf.org).  I began a one-to-two-year fellowship through the American Assocation for the Advancement of Science (see http://fellowships.aaas.org/) at the State Department.  I am working in the Office of the Coordinator of US Assistance to Europe and Eurasia (www.state.gov/p/eur/ace).  My job is to connect and coordinate people involved in all sorts of security assistance programs, especially those that involve putting former Soviet weapons scientists to work in non-threatening situations.

                                                    I always enjoy hearing people's updates, so I hope more people will find time to write.

                                                    Jani umampha,
                                                    Eric Bone
                                                    Chintheche 1995-97

                                                    Do you Yahoo!?