What to Bring

  • Kristen E Cheney
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2002
      Tighe,

      I think a lot of people balked at the suggestion that they bring things
      like a toenail brush or a flyswatter, but then they really wished they had!
      I second Mark's suggestion that you bring good, durable shoes, and I would
      add underwear. Don't fill your luggage with too many clothes, as the
      secondhand clothes markets offer a vast selection. Teachers do tend to wear
      ties. Don't worry about it matching your shirt, though ;-) And Malawi
      boasts great tailors. Buy most of your clothes there and save your precious
      luggage space for the fun stuff.

      If you end up with a lot of vermin in your abode, you'll be glad you
      brought a few Rubbermaid containers or others with tight-fitting lids.
      Other stuff on my Africa list: Swiss Army knife, daypack, water bottle,
      lots of reading material, good sandals, all your favorite CDs (might wanna
      bring copies -- I got all mine stolen in Uganda last year), and -- unless
      you can count on regular care packages from Mom -- a small stash of your
      favorite nonperishable foods that might be hard to find (worry not --
      chocolate is plentiful).

      Optional: I also always bring stuff for young kids when I go to Africa,
      like pens, stickers, small toys, etc. Dollar stores offer a wealth of cheap
      choices that kids there will appreciate. When I have a chance, I also bring
      used books and shoes for them. Frisbees also make great gifts for host
      family children.

      Have fun!

      Kristen
      Kristen Cheney
      Doctoral Candidate in Anthropology
      University of California at Santa Cruz
      Social Sciences I Faculty Services
      1156 High Street
      Santa Cruz, CA 95064
    • HistProf39@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2002
        Tighe --
        I think you've received a lot of good suggestions. What has not been
        mentioned is the length of time it takes for packages to get to you in Malawi
        from the U.S. My son arrived in March. I had mailed a couple packages for him
        in February (clothes, shoes, camping gear, etc.) He just received one of the
        packages about a week ago and is still waiting for the other one.
        I know you're limited in what you can take on the plane but prioritize
        your items. Ship things you can afford to be without for a while but take the
        important things on the plane with you.
      • Tighe1
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2002
          Oh wow. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that seems to be the general
          opinion, that it takes forever (possibly literally) to get packages
          to Malawi. I'm planning on taking everything I need with me.

          As for the pressure cooker, what a great suggestion. I never would
          have thought about that.

          You guys are amazing. Dan Phillips, who I think is the desk officer
          for Malawi, told me about this group. You're an awesome resource. I'm
          sorry I didn't discover this group earlier, I would have loved to
          have heard all your stories! Thanks a million.

          -Tighe