Re:Today's news plus...

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2002
      First about today's ujeni news...

      Re Blantyre pollution: Does anyone else remember the stream you crossed
      just before you got to Limbe. It looked like a kids dream, nothing but
      mountains of foam! I was pretty sure it must flow, if in fact it flowed,
      into the reservoir near us...water supply that was also covered by water
      hyacinth!

      Re the NDA plot to raze UDF headquarters: Hey, just when I thought there
      might be a nationwide party to challenge the 3 regional factions! But, do I
      believe all that is printed in the papers? Why does it seem not likely that
      all these people were so open and above board in telling their plans? Did
      the paper have someone infiltrate? Or...did the UDF plant the story?

      Second about a letter I got recently...

      Now this sounds like a good food distribution program...low overhead. If
      you can find a truck, that's about it. ....

      Quoted from a letter from my counterpart physiotherapist (who now outranks
      me having gone to Cape Town and gotten her masters) Margaret Wazakili at
      QECH. I learned lots from Margaret. She's plucky. She's one of those
      neat people who sees any problem, no matter how big, and instead of feeling
      helpless or overwhelmed just gets creative and does something about it... I
      worked with lots of people like that in Malawi.

      "You may have heard from the news that the hunger situation in Malawi is the
      worst in the region. It has been a pleasure to lead a group of women (her
      Anglican church women's group) called to help in the situation. We put
      money together and bought maize meal, salt and groundnuts that we went to
      distribute to members of our Parish and later to my home District in
      Nkhota-kota, We spent Good Friday on the road, stopping whenever we came
      across a senior citizen who looked weak and hungry to give them a share of
      what we had. We distributed to some members of two Anglican Churches and
      two Moslem villages. While the smiles from the recipients were good to see,
      the desperation of those who were hungry but did not receive anything was
      heart breaking. We drove away feeling rather helpless because we were not
      able to meet the needs of everyone in the areas that we visited. We hope
      that other Relief Organizations will reach those that we did not help
      because we did not have enough.

      "One month later some friends gave us more money and we bought more food
      items that we took to the paediatric wards at QECH. There are many
      malnourished children because of the general scarcity of food, but HIV/AIDS
      related symptoms make the situation worse."

      Cathy