$500mil for AIDS

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2002
      Does anyone else wonder if, after spending $500million to prevent AIDS in newborns without committing money for treatment of the parents, whether we've thought about what money the U.S. should commit to orphanages?
    • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2003

        Definitely, you are correct in my opionion.  And it is one reason that the aid community is not only doing prevention of mother to child transmission PMTCT, they are now doing PMTCT-plus, where they treat the mother (not parents as far as I know) and treat the baby.  I continually advocate for each dollar spent on PMTCT (or -plus), at least equal if not 10 times that needs to go into child care to see the 'saved' child through to secondary school or so.  people are so caught up on 'saving' a life that they don't consider beyond that stage.

        I know this was sent last year, but I was busy at that time!

        Stacia