PC Conference Information

  • Raymond R. Wise
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2002

      KDenny0000@...

      >Dear Friends of MCV,
      >
      >The attached information provided by Damon Kletzen may help you get
      oriented for the weekend.

      >please feel free to join us at our MCV board meeting if you'd like to learn
      more.

      >Friday night is informal. If you like beer, ballads and a touch of mayhem,
      join us at the Dubliner. Just stick her head in and look around for us.

      >Kevin
      >
      >Malawi Folks!
      >
      >However belated this message may be . . .
      >we are writing to let you know of the Malawi-related
      >activities at the Peace Corps 40th Anniversary Conference
      >coming up this week: Thursday, 6/20 thru Sunday, 6/23,
      >at the Omni-Shoreham Hotel, Connecticut Ave. & Calvert
      >Street, NW, Washington, a half-block west of the Metro
      >stop.
      >
      >FRIDAY (9am-8 pm) and SATURDAY (9 am-1 pm)
      >An FOM booth at the Conference Bazaar, organized
      >and coordinated by Linda Millette, will be welcoming folks!
      >Other helpers at the booth will be Sue Urbonas Davis/Tim
      >Davis, Will & Jane Lotter, Damon Kletzien and others.
      >Make sure you stop by! Conference registration is NOT
      >required to visit the Bazaar.
      >The FOM booth will serve as a "Communications Center"
      >in case you are trying to get in touch with other RPCVs
      >at the conference.
      >
      >FRIDAY MORNING (at the Opening Convocation held at
      >Constitution Hall ... with entry limited to those registered
      >for the conference). Chakunja Sibale, MCV's outstanding
      >director, will be here from Mangochi to receive a Host Country National
      Award, one of only eight worldwide!

      >FRIDAY EVENING (6 pm to ??)
      >Malawi Children's Village folks (led by Kevin Denny) will
      >be hanging out at Dubliner Restaurant & Bar, 520 North
      >Capitol Street, NW, near Union Station.
      >
      >SATURDAY MORNING (9 am - 1 pm)
      >MCV's Board of Directors will meet at the offices of the
      >Academy for Educational Development, 1875 Connecticut
      >Ave., NW. . . BUT, you must enter the building on the T Street side, just
      across the street from the Washington Hilton Hotel's lower-level entrance.
      Anyone interested in MCV is welcome to attend the board meeting!! Be prompt
      as someone will be at the door to allow you to enter the building!

      >The AED building is a few blocks north of the Dupont Circle Metro Station
      (Red Line), and also is about 3/4 mile south of the Omni Sheraton Hotel.

      >SATURDAY AFTERNOON (3:00 - 5:00 pm)
      >There will be a joint FOM/MCV "Country Update" session at the AED Building
      (see above). "Updaters" at this point are a bit uncertain but maybe someone
      from the Malawi Embassy, or Peace Corps.... BUT we certainly will be
      delighted to have Sibale give us an in-depth view of Malawi as seen from the
      MCV Perch!

      >SATURDAY EVENING (6:30-9:30 pm)
      >THIS EVENT IS BY RESERVATION ONLY - RSVP required!
      >FOM dinner & social get-together at the home of Sandra Lauffer and Tom
      Robertson on Capitol Hill (see directions below).

      LMILLETTE2@..., and her phone 301-868-3730.

      >DIRECTIONS to the home of Sandra Lauffer/Tom Robertson 529 10th Street
      S.E., Washington, DC; Phone: 202-543-7545

      >By METRO, take the Blue/Orange Line to Eastern Market station; exit and
      continue walking east on Pennsylvania Avenue to 10th Street. Turn right at
      10th and walk a block and a half to #529, which is on the right (between E &
      G Streets, S.E.)

      >By AUTO, from the U.S. Capitol, drive east on Independence Ave., which
      merges into Pennsylvania Ave., continuing to 10th Street; turn right, go to
      #529. Parking usually is available on the street.

      >SUNDAY MORNING (8:15 am until noon)
      >Procession of the Flags (of Countries of Service) beginning at the Lincoln
      Memorial, across Memorial Bridge, past JFK's Grave, to the Arlington
      Amphitheatre where there will be a closing ceremony. Convene about 8:15 am
      near the NE corner of the Lincoln Memorial and LOOK for the Malawi flag
      which will be hoisted/carried byRowland Bennett. Everyone is welcome to join
      in this traditional