news

    Message 1 of 1046 , Jun 14, 2002
      Muluzi Unsure Of Seeking New Term
      The Nation (Nairobi)
      June 14, 2002
      Posted to the web June 13, 2002
      Janis Kanguru
      Johanessburg
      Malawi President Bakili Muluzi has proclaimed that he is no dictator and that has no idea whether he would seek a new term in 2004.
      In an interview with the Nation, Mr Muluzi is currently on his 's said that told the Nation in South Africa anthat he also did not know whether he would make himself available as a candidate in presidential elections in 2004 ö final five-year term.
      Civic and religious groups in Malawi have branded Mr Muluzi a dictator for trying to silence dissent against a high-profile campaign by his supporters to change the Constitution so he can stay in power indefinitely.
      Mr Muluzi told the Nation he had only "advised" against demonstrations, because he was concerned about security in his country.
      "It is a question of security. I did not ban demonstrations either by my supporters or those opposed to a change in the Constitution. I only advised against it because of security implications. I act in the interest of my people. I am no dictator," President Muluzi added.
      He denied claims that he was corrupt or that he condoned corruption in his administration, arguing that he had differences only with Denmark that led to the downgrading of Copenhagen's mission in Lilongwe, and his recalling of his ambassador in Denmark.
      Britain, he said, had halted aid to his country because his programme with the International Monetary Fund still lay in the balance.
      The IMF says Malawi has a poor record of implementation of programmes, but Mr Muluzi said the IMF's problem was that it was persistently changing aid conditionalities.
      He stressed that attempts to change the Constitution in Malawi had no parallel in the failed bid by former Zambian President Frederick Chiluba to stick to power last year. He added that in Malawi, there was a movement to change the Constitution well before the elections and he would not necessarily be the beneficiary of the change.
      The influential Roman Catholic Church and civil society groups plan to stage massive demonstrations in Malawi against the plan to change the law to suit Mr Muluzi's appetite for power.
      "My party will have to ask me whether I am available to stand for president. We have not come to that stage so I do not know whether in fact I will be available," he said, adding that he was a democrat who believed in the right of his people to make a wise decision.
      Mr Muluzi rose to power in landmark 1994 pluralist elections, ousting founding president Kamuzu Banda, who had ruled the country since independence from Britain in 1964.
      Last year, Mr Muluzi ousted from the ruling United Democratic Front party politicians seen as possible presidential contenders, including former Transport Minister Brown Mpinganjira. Early this year, he ejected flamboyant and popular Finance Minister, Professor Matthews Chikaonda from the Cabinet without giving any reasons.
      Prof Chikaonda, an ex-university economics professor and central bank governor, is still considered a possible successor to Mr Muluzi.
      Mr Muluzi is among African leaders who back a controversial so-called "Peer Review" mechanism, under the continent's economic recovery plan dubbed New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
      Under Peer review, a committee of five to seven distinguished men and women who will either be retired judges or retired heads of state will examine political and economic governance performance by African countries.
      Subjection to the Peer Review mechanism is voluntary but it will enable African leaders to examine developments on the continent and try to help where problems are emerging.
      Under Peer Review, Mr Muluzi would come under scrutiny over the plans to change the Constitution so he can stay in office. Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa and Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe could also be quizzed over flawed elections in their countries in the past six months.
      Mr Muluzi, current chairman of the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) said under Nepad, Africa was committed to speaking with one voice, and would follow its words with action.
      He is backed on the issue by Mozambique's President Joaquim Chissano, who says: "What is going to change is the attitude of the leadership in Africa."
      *****
      Lilongwe's 'Worstever' Famine
      The NEWS (Monrovia)
      June 13, 2002
      Posted to the web June 13, 2002
      For Chief Dzobwe, the traditional leader of a small cluster of settlements outside the central tobacco heartland of Kasungu, some 100 kilometers north of the capital, Lilongwe, this year's famine is historic.
      "I was a young boy in 1949," the year old former miner says, "but this year's famine reminds me of the one we had then."
      "We did not think things would be this bad," Malawian Vice President Justin Malewezi said.
      "The difference is that while in 1949 we could walk long distances to find food," says the chief, who claims he lost two to three of his villagers a week at the height of the famine between January and March, "there is now nowhere to go to find food."
      BBC's Raphael Tenthani Kasungu, where officially more than 100 people starved to death by March, is the worst affected of Malawi's 27 districts.
      But government officials say the picture is just as bleak in other parts of the country.
      Vice President Justin Malewezi says warning signs that there was an impending famine started flashing as early as August last year when it was noted that the country, which requires at least 1.8 million tonnes of the staple crop, maize, per year to feed its 11 million people, had a deficit of 400,000 tonnes.
      "But we did not think things would be this bad," he admits.
      Indeed the government's belated admission that a human catastrophe is looming in the country has caught donors unprepared.
      A senior World Food Programme official says it was difficult to convince rich governments to release emergency funds for Malawi without the government acknowledging there was a famine. Maize from grain warehouses has been in short supply.
      When the government finally did, more than seven million people, or three quarters of the country's population, were on the verge of starvation.
      Lessons may have been learnt because, this year, although the entire maize crop has not yet been stored in granaries, the government has already asked for help.
      The ministry of agriculture has published crop estimates, saying Malawi is set to record a 600,000 tonne deficit.
      Secretary for Agriculture Ellard Malindi says the current lull in the famine is only temporary as people are currently eating maize grown in their gardens. But most farming families do not harvest enough maize.
      People queuing for maize rations at an aid agency site in Salima
      He says the government is therefore urging rich countries and aid agencies to assist the country with emergency food aid if a human catastrophe is to be averted.
      The call for food aid, made when President Bakili Muluzi declared a state of national disaster in February, has received a lukewarm response from donors, fueling fears that the crisis will continue. Malawi needs at least $21.6m to avert a human catastrophe. But so far less than $5m have come through.
      Mr Malindi says a number of factors, including heavy rains in some areas and prolonged dry spells in others, have led to a drop in the harvest of maize.
      He says other reasons for the drop in maize production include floods, as well as rampaging elephants and hippos, which have destroyed large tracts of crop fields in a number of lakeshore districts, especially in the southern district of Mangochi.
      "If we don't handle the food crisis well, it will be difficult to convince people to vote for us." Mekkie Mtewa, a Mangochi Member of parliament said.
      The United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, says that between January and April, UN agencies spent at least $2m on emergency food aid for vulnerable groups in 19 of the country's 27 districts.
      UNDP representative Zahra Nuru says UN experts are currently assessing the situation to release more aid.
      Malawi's former colonial master, Britain, has so far also released £2.6m of food aid for 255,000 households.
      A number of church organizations have come in to help, but the scale of the disaster is just too great.
      Some donors say the donor fatigue is due in particular to the fact that last year's maize reserves where mismanaged.
      Some of these stocks were sold to Kenya despite warnings that a famine was looming.
      But Ellard Malindi, the Secretary for Agriculture, says the government sold the maize to Kenya because it had reached the end of its shelflife.
      The country's Anti Corruption Bureau is still investigating the controversial sale to check whether there was any corruption involved.
      The food crisis has also affected the country's social strata.
      In hospitals, the orthopaedic wards are full of amputees who received mob justice after being caught stealing.
      "It was pumpkin leaves that we survived on" Anifa Matebule, an eyewitness said. School attendance has also dropped significantly.
      President Bakili Muluzi has again assured Malawians that the government will make free food available to the most vulnerable.
      But Anifa, who is also a grandmother in the southern tea growing district of Thyolo, says she has heard it all before. She lost a daughter and a grandchild to the famine.
      "In January the government said we would get free maize, but it was pumpkin leaves that we survived on," she says, brandishing a ration card for a World Food Programme food distribution exercise which she says has come too late.
      Mekkie Mtewa, the MP for Mangochi, who has just been dismissed as deputy agriculture minister for revealing that senior politicians were hoarding maize in order to sell it at higher prices, says the famine may be a political barometer.
      Those without money beg outside department stores correspondents reported.
      "2004 (when the next general elections will take place) is not too far so if we don't handle the food crisis well, it will be difficult to convince people to vote for us," he says.
      But in Kasungu, Chief Dzombe says he has no time for the politics of 2004. Having buried two of his teenage nephews, what he needs is for the politicians of today to deliver.
      "The crops have failed again this year and, if we don't get help, we will perish," he says.

      *****

      Mozambique's political minnows feel the
      heat
      Maputo

      13 June 2002 13:09

      Small opposition parties in Mozambique have complained that they are
      being deliberately squeezed from parliament by the country's two major
      political forces, the ruling Frelimo and ex-rebel Renamo, which want to
      maintain a political duopoly.

      Political parties need to garner a minimum of five percent of votes cast
      nationally in legislative elections to secure seats in Mozambique's
      parliament, according to laws approved by the two main parties in 1992.

      "This is only aimed at suffocating smaller parties and that is not
      democracy," said Yacub Sibindy, leader of the Mozambique Independent
      Party (Pimo).

      "We are pressing for a reduction of the threshold from five percent to two or
      even one percent," Sibindy said, adding that the Mozambique National
      Resistance (Renamo) was scared of small opposition parties.

      "Renamo wants this barrier in order to keep smaller parties away from it,"
      said Sibindy.

      In the last elections in December 1999, won by President Joaquim
      Chissano's Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo), Renamo took part as a
      multi-party coalition, taking 117 seats to Frelimo?s 133.

      Sibindy said that in an effort to guarantee its interests are maintained,
      Renamo convinced 10 small parties to join forces with it, but ultimately it is
      Renamo which dominates the coalition and gives orders.

      However, Lutero Simango, of the National Convention Party (PCN) argues
      that simply reducing the five percent threshold would not help solve the
      problem but encourage the proliferation of more political parties in the
      country.

      "We would find a political party in every corner of the country", Simango
      said.

      There are currently more than 10 Mozambican opposition parties without
      representation in parliament. - Sapa
      Message 1046 of 1046 , May 22, 2006

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:09:17

        *****

        Chihana operated on

        by Edwin Nyirongo, 22 May 2006 - 06:32:31

        Mughogho is now in charge of the party.

        *****

        Pillane proposes presidential age limit

        by Emmanuel Muwamba , 22 May 2006 - 06:34:13

        *****

        Mussa hails new driving licence

        by Zainah Liwanda, 22 May 2006 - 06:58:52

        *****

        UDF demands investigation on Kasambara

        by Rabecca Theu, 22 May 2006 - 06:30:46

        *****