Food Crisis in Malawi a myth

  • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2002
      TO:
      - Hunger and Environmental Nutrition practice group of the American Dietetic Association
      - Community Food Security Coalition
      - CISANET (Malawi agriculture network)
      - Nutrition Society of Malawi
      - Foodconcern Canada
      - Horticulture Magazine in Malawi
      - American Overseas Dietetic Association & International Dietetic Network
      - International Confederation of Dietetic Associations
      - Permaculture institutes in Malawi, Zimbabwe and UK
      - Returned Peace Corps Volunteers who served in Malawi
      - AIDS Malawi discussion group
      - European Coalition of Positive People
      - And a few interested friends.....

      I have submitted the attached article along with this introdution to various media in and out of Malawi (New York Times, BBC, Guardian, Economist, BBC focus on Africa, IRIN (a UN newsservice), African Church Information Service, Montfort media, the Nation, the Chronicla, to name a few) , attempting to encourage a balanced view of the food situation which has made it to the international news scene.  I wanted to share it with you, too in hopes that you can help to educate others about the underlying causes of the food situation, and positve, self sufficent ways of addressing the problem.  Please share this as widely as you see fit.  I'd rather have people get the information twice than not at all!

      Stacia

      Dear Editors:

      I read the article that you recently wrote about the food situation in Malawi.  We would like to give you another view of the situation here.  The food supply, malnutrition and associated deaths in Malawi are because of a focus on maize at every level and the media, donors, government and communities are contributing to the problem.  My husband and I have been living here for 5 years working to improve nutrition through sustainable use of local resources.  As a Registered Dietitian who has researched and incorporated local foods into my own life, I can report to you that Malawi has the food supply to provide all the nutrients for all of us who live here.  When use of local resources are supported by all, we will move ahead with our health, environment and economy.

      Attached is an article that we wrote title 'Waiting for the Real Crisis' and we hope that you will find space to include this in your paper.  Please don't hesitate to ask for clarification of more information.

      Thank you for listening.

      Stacia
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Stacia M. Nordin, RD
      HIV/AIDS Crisis Corps Coordinator
      Providing 6-month Volunteer experts for HIV/AIDS care and prevention programs

      PO Box 208, Lilongwe, Malawi, Africa
      w tel:  (+265) 757-157 or 757-667
      w fax: (+265) 751-008
      h tel:   (+265) 707-213