Re: [ujeni] Digest Number 895

  • Matthew McNulty
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2002

       For what it is worth, the speach given by the new PC CD about Lucy was pretty heavy.  Yes, I read and sat here remembering....  It struck me as odd that there were only two PCVs....   Maybe things change.  A small thought/memory...  Yarv, Mr Racy and myself, all in to whoever the PCMO was at the time.  We were all "sick" and went in to get whatever help we could.  You know fansidar, something for GI distress, or an IV for yet again another bout of alcohol induced encephalopathy.  Supposedly we didnt feel good, but after about 60 seconds the three of us were rolling in laughter.  Why, I certainly dont remember, but we were making a lot of noise and actually having a good time at the office.  After awhile of the three of us carring on, Lucy came out of the office to the waiting room where we were "really ill" and said something to the effect that if we were sick we needed act like it.  She gave us one of her stern looks trying to mask a smile.  We were cured!  I think we went and met the dreggs and cronies at the Lilongwe Hotel, feeling much better.

       Goodbye Lucy,

      Matt

      Do You Yahoo!?
      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
    • Kristof & Stacia Nordin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2002

        Hey Matt - things do change, but not our love for Lucy for those who knew here!  I think that one of the reasons that only 2 PCVs were at the ceremony is  that Lucy hadn't come to the office in over a year, so the newer PCVs didn't know her.  She was back and forth between her home in area 15 with a nurse and family and her sister's home in Blantyre.  The year prior to that she came in for a few hours a week but was often laying down in the back room.

        I loved your story and could picture it immediately!  One of my favourite conversations with Lucy is when I went in for condoms and Lucy gave me a small handful of about 4 condoms and asked if that was ok.  I replied that that would do for today at least and she lit up giving me a knowing smile saying that we shouldn't wear ourselves out!

        Stacia Nordin
        RPCV Malawi 97-00
        Still here!
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2002
          I recall being at the Capitol Hotel during the 35th anniversary festivities.
          Someone (we'll just say it was me, but I don't think was) needed a tampon,
          so Lucy took us (me, cataldo, probably maybe kymu or kate- don't remember)
          to her room to get some. At the time we were trying to think of a nice guy
          for Cataldo. Lucy bursts out with "What about that Jason Booker? He is a
          fine one!"
          Rand, Deb & Benjamin Wise
          2784 Mt. Olive Drive
          Decatur, GA 30033

          Email: rwise.psy88@...
          (404) 327-5765

          "There is no situation that is not transfigurable."
          - Desmond Tutu