Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Zim news

Expand Messages
  • Christine Chumbler
    Reporters held over beheading story Two reporters from Zimbabwe s only privately-owned newspaper, the Daily News, have been arrested. The paper says
    Message 1 of 83 , Apr 30 6:37 AM
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Reporters held over
      'beheading' story

      Two reporters from Zimbabwe's only
      privately-owned newspaper, the Daily News,
      have been arrested.

      The paper says reporters Lloyd Mudiwa and
      Collin Chiwanza were picked up by police over
      reports carried by the Daily News last week
      that a woman had been beheaded by
      supporters of President Robert Mugabe.

      The arrest comes two weeks after the Daily
      News editor Geoff Nyarota was briefly detained
      in connection with a story alleging that the
      March election results were falsified.

      Mr Nyarota has been charged with publishing
      false information under a new act which
      imposes tight control over the media.

      Public apology

      Police have not commented on the latest
      arrests.

      The Daily News says they are related to
      murder allegations carried in the paper's 23
      April edition.

      The opposition
      Movement for
      Democratic Change
      (MDC) said a
      53-year-old woman
      was beheaded in the
      northern town of
      Magunje in front of her
      two daughters, citing
      a report by the
      woman's husband.

      The report blamed
      supporters of
      President Mugabe's
      Zanu-PF.

      But last Saturday the Daily News said it had
      doubts about the alleged murder, after failing
      to locate the woman's grave.

      The editor, Geoff Nyarota, said it appeared the
      newspaper had been misled by the husband.
      "Until... Tadyanemhandu's grave is located and
      positively identified, we are left with no option
      but to... tender our most profound apologies to
      Zanu-PF, whose image was tarnished by the
      report in question," Mr Nyarota said.

      Jail threat

      Mr Nyarota's arrest earlier this month was
      connected with a story accusing the man in
      charge of announcing election results,
      Registrar General Tobaiwa Mudede, of
      manipulating the count.

      Mr Mudede denies the accusation.

      Mr Nyarota, for his
      part, contests the
      charge. He faces a
      maximum sentence of
      two years in prison or
      a fine of $1,800 if
      found guilty of
      falsifying and
      fabricating information.

      Mr Nyarota has been
      arrested several times
      since the Daily News
      was launched in 1999.

      The paper's printing press and main office were
      both bombed last year.

      Under the media law Mr Mugabe signed shortly
      after his re-election, the activities of
      independent and foreign news media are
      curbed, and criticism of the President is a
      criminal act.

      *****

      Drought drives Mugabe to
      declare disaster

      Harare | Tuesday

      ZIMBABWE'S President Robert Mugabe, faced with national
      famine, has declared a "state of disaster" across the country,
      according to official documents issued on Tuesday.
      The proclamation gives the government powers to take
      extraordinary measures to bring relief to over 600000 people
      facing critical food shortages.
      It also puts the government in a stronger position from which to
      make appeals to the international donor community for food aid,
      said aid agency officials.
      The declaration lasts for three months and can be extended.
      Like neighbouring countries Malawi and Zambia, Zimbabwe's
      summer crop of maize, the national staple, has been almost a
      total write-off after severe drought, the worst in 50 years, during
      the growing season.
      The World Food Programme, the United Nations' famine relief
      agency, is gearing up for a massive operation to feed millions of
      people in six countries in the sub-continent, 2.6 million of them in
      Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
      Judith Lewis, the WFP's regional director in east and southern
      Africa, warned this week that unless food began arriving within the
      next four months, there would be "an all-out disaster."
      The situation has been aggravated in Zimbabwe where nearly all
      of the country's commercial farmers have been forcibly prevented
      by authorities from planting crops while government militias and
      top officials of Mugabe's ruling clique illegally seize farms and
      equipment.
      About 21% of the normal maize crop of about 1,5 million tons is
      expected to be reaped this year, according to estimates by
      agencies monitoring food security.
      Lewis said last week that Zimbabwe's commercial farmers
      accounted for the production of about 40% of the country's food
      needs, but their output this year would fall by more than half.
      Farm union officials forecast the drop will be much greater.
      International appeals have met with a reluctant response from
      donors, with the WFP able to raise only 37 000 tons of food out of
      117 000 tons needed. Only five Western governments -- including
      Britain and the United States -- have provided finance for the
      supplies.
      Distribution of WFP relief by Christian Care in the Mugabe
      stronghold of Muzarabani district in Zimbabwe's northern border
      area has been suspended because of violence against suspected
      opposition supporters and the aid agency, reports said here this
      week.
      About 23000 people in the district are on the brink of starvation.
      Christian Care had written to the local ruling party governor to tell
      him it was withdrawing its operations unless he was able to
      guarantee its workers' safety, said the Zimbabwe Independent.
      The government claims it has begun its own programme to import
      Zimbabwe dollars 95 billion ($ 16 billion) worth of food, but has
      given no indication how it will raise the finance.
      This week the Confederation of Zimbabwe Industries, the
      country's private manufacturing lobby group, accused the
      government of producing "unreliable statistics" on its planned
      imports of food. - Sapa
    • Christine Chumbler
      Zim police raid churches, round up displaced Harare, Zimbabwe 21 July 2005 04:25 Police raided church halls in Zimbabwe s second city of Bulawayo, rounding up
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 22, 2005
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        Zim police raid churches, round up displaced

        Harare, Zimbabwe



        21 July 2005 04:25

        Police raided church halls in Zimbabwe's second city of Bulawayo, rounding up people who had been sheltering there since their homes were destroyed in a so-called urban renewal drive, a human rights lawyer said on Thursday.

        Wednesday's raids came just days before the release of a United Nations report on Zimbabwe's controversial Operation Murambatsvina.

        On Thursday, some of the hundreds of thousands left homeless were allowed to return to the demolished township of Hatcliffe, on the northern outskirts of the capital, Harare, state media reported.

        Police have torched and bulldozed townships, informal markets and other structures deemed illegal since launching the demolition campaign on May 19. Vendors accused of black-market dealing have also been arrested or had their goods confiscated.

        Independent estimates of the number affected range from 300 000 to more than a million.

        Only a small number of people were removed in the church raids, said attorney Jenny Coltart.

        "Many of the churches have already moved the people last week on to a farm they had negotiated for, but there were some who had not moved," she said. "The police came in late last night, loaded them on to trucks and drove off."

        Church leaders were trying to locate them on Thursday.

        An estimated 20 000 people had their homes destroyed in Hatcliffe, on the northern outskirts of the capital, in May. Many of them were given just 30 minutes to pack their belongings and were forced at gunpoint to tear down their own houses.

        Late on Wednesday, Deputy Housing Minister Morris Sakabuya told Parliament about 3 100 plots have been demarcated in the township and are being allocated to "vetted" families, the national broadcaster and state-run Herald newspaper reported.

        "Only those with lease agreements were allowed back, while those with receipts showing they had paid for their stands were also given lease agreements," Sakabuya was quoted as saying.

        Local Government Minister Ignatius Chombo told Parliament the government will help the displaced rebuild but warned that any returnees who fail to meet state building standards will be evicted again.

        Trudy Stevenson, an opposition Movement for Democratic Change lawmaker who represents the area, was not impressed.

        "How will they all find out about this when some have gone to Mozambique, Malawi or [been] chased back to their 'rural areas' by police?" she asked. "What about the seven weeks schoolchildren have missed, the people on anti-retrovirals and other medication who have been without it? How many have died? Who is going to find the orphans and tell them?"

        Many of the displaced also lost their livelihoods and do not have the means to rebuild, she added.

        President Robert Mugabe's government has promised Z$3-trillion (R2,1-billion) for the reconstruction effort, but economists question whether the funds are available at a time of economic crisis.

        The government defends the campaign as a clean-up drive in overcrowded, crime-ridden slums.

        But the opposition says it is aimed at breaking up its strongholds among the urban poor and forcing them into rural areas where they can be more easily controlled by chiefs sympathetic to the government.

        Last month, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan sent an envoy to assess the humanitarian impact of the campaign.

        Anna Tibaijuka, the Tanzanian head of UN Habitat, submitted her report earlier this week. A copy was also sent to Mugabe for review before it is made public, expected on Friday or Monday. -- Sapa-AP

        *****

        Zim defiant over loan conditions

        Nic Dawes and Rapule Tabane



        21 July 2005 11:59


        If South Africa agrees to a loan request from Zimbabwe, one of its conditions would be an end to the Murambatsvina campaign to demolish illegal structures in urban areas. (Photograph: AP)
        Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe may well choke on the tough conditions attached to any loan package offered to him by the South African government -- despite Zimbabwe's worsening foreign currency crunch.

        Mugabe's spokesperson, George Charamba, told the Mail & Guardian that Zimbabwe would not accept financial help tied to conditions, adding that South Africa was one of numerous countries Zimbabwe had approached.

        "I don't understand why the South African media is treating the loan request as unique to South Africa. We have also made representations to the Indian government," Charamba said.

        Mugabe is due to visit China this weekend and diplomatic observers believe China is the country most likely to step into the breach.

        Beijing is anxious to secure access to minerals such as platinum and chrome, which Zimbabwe has in abundance, and may provide a way for Mugabe to acquire hard currency without making political concessions.

        In the first clear sign that South Africa is prepared to use its economic leverage to break Zimbabwe's political logjam, President Thabo Mbeki's Cabinet was expected this week to discuss Mugabe's request for a $1-billion loan facility. The International Monetary Fund (IMF), meanwhile, is taking final steps in preparation to expel Zimbabwe for its persistent failure to pay a $295-million debt.

        Government officials stress that no decision has yet been taken to extend a credit line, but that any help will be based on a South African assessment of what is appropriate for Zimbabwe's needs and will entail stringent terms.

        These are understood to include the resumption of talks on constitutional reform between Zanu-PF and the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), an end to the Murambatsvina, or "drive out filth" campaign to demolish illegal structures in urban areas, and economic reforms.

        Charamba, was adamant that Zimbabwe would reject conditions, particularly a call for new talks with the MDC. "We meet the MDC on a daily basis and dialogue with them in parliament," he said.

        "Should the MDC request talks outside Parliament, it will be considered. But firstly, they would have to clarify their call for sanctions, which are now causing untold suffering to ordinary Zimbabweans. That would be our precondition."

        He added: "I don't understand why South Africans will put a condition that we end Operation Clean Up when it has already ended. We are now at the next stage, Operation Hlalani Kahle (stay and live well), which will focus on housing delivery that goes beyond people affected by Operation Clean Up."

        Nevertheless, the IMF's threatened withdrawal appears to have created a window of opportunity for the South African government to push ahead with plans for a "carrot-and-stick" package, which Finance Minister Trevor Manuel has been quietly punting for some time.

        Zimbabwe needs hard currency to buy fuel, electricity and basic commodities. With its reserves exhausted, the government has been reduced to buying dollars on the black market to fund imports.

        After a visit to Harare by Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka and Deputy Finance Minister Jabu Moleketi, Manuel and Reserve Bank governor Tito Mboweni met officials, led by Zimbabwe Reserve Bank governor Gideon Gono, last Friday.

        South African sources said that while the Zimbabwean delegation "painted a picture" of their currency crisis, any funding would be shaped by their own assessment of the situation. The credit facility was unlikely to amount to the reported $1-billion.

        "It is far from a done deal," one official said. "The conditionalities will be tough and Mugabe isn't going to like them at all."

        China is seen as Zimbabwe's most likely benefactor, as it makes no pretence of using aid to promote democracy and good governance.

        Western and African diplomats are worried that the link between economic assistance and good governance, established by initiatives such as the New Partnership for Africa's Development (Nepad), may be undermined in China's drive for resource security.

        In 2004 it agreed to a $2-billion line of credit for Angola after an IMF loan fell through when the MPLA government would not agree to anti- corruption conditions. The loan is backed by oil guarantees and commitments to employ Chinese construction firms in the rebuilding of infrastructure.

        Mugabe has already concluded agreements to buy fighter jets and riot control gear from the Chinese government. Despite these concerns, observers in Harare are buoyed by what they see as a marked difference in pace and tone from South Africa and the African Union. MDC leader Morgan Tsvangarai embarked on a hectic round of African diplomacy ahead of the G8 summit at Gleneagles, meeting, among others, current AU chairperson and Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo to insist on the importance of linking democratic reforms and economic recovery.

        Obasanjo and Mbeki, who split in 2003 over Zimbabwe's suspension from the Commonwealth, appear to have gone to Gleneagles united on that issue, even as Zimbabwe's urban demolition campaign refocused international attention on the crisis.

        Chief government spokesperson Joel Netshitenzhe was reluctant to give details of the Cabinet discussions or the recent meetings with Zimbabwean officials. "The discussions have been about how we can assist in the Zimbabwean economic recovery programme as well as the normalisation of the political situation," he said.

        "There is no agreement on a loan, but if the issue arises, it would be referred to Cabinet and a loan facility would have to be confirmed by Parliament."

        Democratic Alliance leader Tony Leon, meanwhile, questioned whether South Africa could afford the loan, saying taxpayer funds should not be used to bail out a dictator.

        In a speech in Cradock on Thursday, he said: "South Africa should not provide any assistance beyond emergency relief until the Zimbabwean government meets strict conditions, including, but not limited to: ending Operation Murambatsvina; opening formal, public negotiations with opposition parties under the supervision of the African Union and the United Nations; allowing international aid agencies to operate freely within Zimbabwe; and providing proof of all purchases made with money donated or loaned by South Africa."

        *****

        UN condemns Zimbabwe slum blitz

        A major UN report has called for an immediate end to Zimbabwe's slum clearance programme, declaring it to be in violation of international law.
        Hundreds of thousands of homes in the country's shanty towns have been torched and bulldozed in recent months.

        Zimbabwe says the demolitions aim to clean up urban areas and ensure building regulations are followed.

        But the UN report, to be released in full later on Friday, says the policy is disastrous and inhumane.

        The BBC's Susannah Price at UN headquarters in New York says the UK and US are likely to use the hard-hitting document to renew their calls for the UN to take immediate action.

        To date, the Security Council has refused to call a meeting on the clearances.

        Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe usually rejects any criticism, as coming from racists, or their stooges, opposed to his nationalist stance but correspondents say this will be more difficult with this report.

        It was compiled by Kofi Annan's special envoy Anna Tibaijuka, a respected international diplomat from Tanzania, a country with close political links to Zimbabwe.

        'Indifference'

        The report calls for an immediate halt to the slum clearances which it says have affected a total of two million people.

        "While purporting to target illegal dwellings and structures [the operation] was carried out in an indiscriminate and unjustified manner, with indifference to human suffering," it says, according to an excerpt cited by the Associated Press news agency.

        Zimbabwe says the policy - known as Operation Murambatsvina [Drive Out Rubbish] - is intended to crack down on black-market trading and other criminal activity in the slum areas.

        But the report says, whatever the motive, the result is ill-conceived and inhumane.

        Hundreds of thousands have been forced to seek shelter elsewhere as their homes are destroyed.

        The opposition says the evictions are meant to punish urban residents, who have rejected President Robert Mugabe in favour of the opposition in recent elections.

        The report has already been presented to Zimbabwe's government and will be presented to all UN members on Friday.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.