IMF funds

  • Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2002
      Regarding yet another article on withholding funds to Malawi because of "lack of transparency":   Does anyone know if Malawians are reacting to this and are questioning the government?  Will it have any effect on the issue of Muluzi standing for a third term?  Can it with the regional party system and regional loyalties?       Cathy

      P.S. Christine...I enjoyed the article about Lake Malawi.  Thanks for your dedication in sending us news.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2002
        I can't answer your questions directly, Cathy, but I did get a very frustrated sounding letter from my host father in Zomba a few weeks ago. He complained at length about corruption in the country, even going so far as to say he hated democracy. He said that he didn't understand what the point of free speech was if the leaders refused to listen. I think his largest complaint was regarding police brutality and day to day safety issues, but probably he's frustrated about the larger govt corruption issues as well. I'm not sure who he voted for in the last election, but if his sentiments are anything to go on, Maluzi and the UDF should be concerned about a possible reelection.