Re: [ujeni] Water Hyacinth

  • Nordin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2002

      Vyrle,

      I haven't had any trouble with water hyacinth springing up again after composting.  Although I've never put my compost into a lake.  Crocodiles and hippos impede the harvesting and care needs to be taken, such as using a long pole with an adapted end to scoop the Hyacinth out.  A strong boat that hippos can't flip over would be important.

      The briquette making still goes in some areas, but not very strongly to my knowledge.  The machines are a pretty big chunk of capital and are not the simplest things in the world, paper is not a large commodity, it is a lot of work to make them, and the groups which make them have difficulty selling them to people.  Personally, we make briquettes from just the paper without a machine and really like them.  We read about it in the Footsteps magazine by Tear Fund UK.   It works well for us because we get a lot of scrap paper, it isn't something that can be utilized everywhere in Malawi.

      Stacia

      From: Weber <weber@...>
      To: ujeni@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ujeni] Water Hyacinth
      Date: Friday, 15 March, 2002 12:16 PM

      To anyone of you who might be interested in that water hyacinth problem
      that Christine's news mentioned   (probably no one, right?)....

      We watched hyacinths take over one of our nearby reservoirs in Blantyre.

      Manual removal is pretty easy.  It would take lots of man power but Malawi
      should have that, if it has money available to pay people.  It may not cure
      the problem entirely but once the major push to get this take-over by the
      plant is under control a smaller, consistent effort should be able to
      contain the continuing problem.

      FREE COLLEGE MONEY
      CLICK HERE to search
      600,000 scholarships!