Re: [ujeni] Ujeni

  • Raymond R. Wise
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
      Hey folks,

      My inbox is filling up with complaints. Let's keep this the same old email
      community where it is safe to contribute and keep up with each other,
      events, opportunites and what-what.

      I don't enjoy being a censor, and I haven't really had to all this time,
      with the regrettable exception of my friend Alan and his pal (when was that,
      about three years ago or so?), and that I nicely asked that one guy a few
      months back to stop posting fifty extraordinarily long messages a day about
      Iraq (and he then voluntarily retired from the group).

      Banning an anonymous person who is offending people is not a hard decision
      to make, but there is no real safeguard against him or her simply getting
      another address and rejoining the list. I could set up the group to make
      new members get approval from me before joining the list, but I think for me
      this would surely be the first of many steps towards megalomania. Plus I
      don't always check my mail every day and I'd hate for someone from the blue
      (Tony Swenson, say -- who doesn't wonder what he's doing these days?) to
      join the list and then have to wait several days or more to participate if I
      was on vacation and away from my computer. (If you want to help moderate,
      please email me privately - there's not much to it in addition to what you
      do already, other than every five years or so take Alan DeBrauw outside and
      rough him up a bit).

      So in short, if you want to harrass Paul, please do like the rest of us and
      do it outside the group. And remember that even if you'd like to
      tastelessly tease a friend in a semi-public setting, that there are others
      of us on the group that don't want to read it. I am sure that there are
      many of us here who have never met face to face, but all the same it feels
      like a family. (Most of us who post regularly are in the 1994 to 1999
      range, but I know there are members going back to the early 90s, and going
      forward to recent RPCVs.) So let's keep it positive, and hopefully we'll
      continue to expand and stay in touch with each other and still feel
      connected to Malawi. Thank you and bless you all.

      Your moderator, who strives not to take himself too seriously, but who does
      not always succeed,

      Rand
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
        Well said, sir.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21, 2002
          Hey!  I only come online once or twice a month, and I know I have the wright to remain silent....so I will. Mickie.
        • MMickie5@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2002
            Hey! Yeah, it was that Mickie. I want to send a private e-mail, but my last attempt was sent back. Hmm. What's your personal address??Mickie