RE: [ujeni] Ujeni

  • holland@panasas.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
      I suddenly feel like I'm in a Nabokov novel.  What's real?  What isn't?  Do I exist?  Who is the mysterious puppeteer pulling the strings?

      Mark

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
        Hey folks,

        My inbox is filling up with complaints. Let's keep this the same old email
        community where it is safe to contribute and keep up with each other,
        events, opportunites and what-what.

        I don't enjoy being a censor, and I haven't really had to all this time,
        with the regrettable exception of my friend Alan and his pal (when was that,
        about three years ago or so?), and that I nicely asked that one guy a few
        months back to stop posting fifty extraordinarily long messages a day about
        Iraq (and he then voluntarily retired from the group).

        Banning an anonymous person who is offending people is not a hard decision
        to make, but there is no real safeguard against him or her simply getting
        another address and rejoining the list. I could set up the group to make
        new members get approval from me before joining the list, but I think for me
        this would surely be the first of many steps towards megalomania. Plus I
        don't always check my mail every day and I'd hate for someone from the blue
        (Tony Swenson, say -- who doesn't wonder what he's doing these days?) to
        join the list and then have to wait several days or more to participate if I
        was on vacation and away from my computer. (If you want to help moderate,
        please email me privately - there's not much to it in addition to what you
        do already, other than every five years or so take Alan DeBrauw outside and
        rough him up a bit).

        So in short, if you want to harrass Paul, please do like the rest of us and
        do it outside the group. And remember that even if you'd like to
        tastelessly tease a friend in a semi-public setting, that there are others
        of us on the group that don't want to read it. I am sure that there are
        many of us here who have never met face to face, but all the same it feels
        like a family. (Most of us who post regularly are in the 1994 to 1999
        range, but I know there are members going back to the early 90s, and going
        forward to recent RPCVs.) So let's keep it positive, and hopefully we'll
        continue to expand and stay in touch with each other and still feel
        connected to Malawi. Thank you and bless you all.

        Your moderator, who strives not to take himself too seriously, but who does
        not always succeed,

        Rand
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
          Well said, sir.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21, 2002
            Hey!  I only come online once or twice a month, and I know I have the wright to remain silent....so I will. Mickie.
          • MMickie5@cs.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 26, 2002
              Hey! Yeah, it was that Mickie. I want to send a private e-mail, but my last attempt was sent back. Hmm. What's your personal address??Mickie